reel confused

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by trunk777, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    From whom did you order it? I thought Trophy Tackle had it in stock.

2. Bob Sands

Bob Sands BOB SANDS TACKLE Advertiser

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    #1 Tackle Shop
    We at Bob Sands have the VISX 12 in stock .. Along with Maks and other Penn Products. At least we had stock as of a couple of days ago.

Jamie

3. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Do you nave the Torso yet ? If so, how $$$

4. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate

I personally like the taller reel as I have large hands and I rest the reel against my left wrist/forearm when power cranking with a big bend on my rail rod... I also wear a volleyball 6" long forearm band on my left wrist/forearm so the reel doesn't bruise my skin when I push on it (prop it steady in upright position). I do like the smaller diameter spool when cranking under heavy load in low gear though, but the lower profile wider reel is generally not my preference. Kinda like a Mac 16SEa vs. the Mac 20 SEa for true "cow" fishing ... the 16 casts a sardine better but the 20 is easier for me to stabilize being tall and narrow during the end game where power cranking in low gear can be key to your success as far as getting a gaff into those larger grade tuna that often tend to hunker down and hover at deep color making them hard to lift and get pointed up towards the boat... sometimes a slow steady power crank in conjunction with your rod recoil is all you can get (especially so when there is no boat swell/rocking (flat sea) to aid in lifting).

In the comparison between the Torque 40NLD-2 to the 12 or 16 VISX for fishing the larger grade tuna you also have the stronger internal parts to consider on the VISX which is a "true" big game reel in design (just smaller in size)... but with that said, the Torque lever drag reels are very well built and their internal parts can handle more pressure than most other reels made in that 4/0 narrow configuration. Then you have that other factor to consider when cranking power is desired and that is gear ratios: the 12 and 16 VISX are 1.8 to 1 and 1.6 to 1 with a smaller diameter spool than the Torque 40NLD-2 which is at 2.5 to 1 in low gear. All of the newer Penn reels have excellent free spool right out of the box and the Torque reels have a "forged" aluminum spool so they are very light and very strong! Always great to have quality options... and boy do we have that in today's fishing reel choices.

G

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Those Torques are no joke—same for the Fathoms. Those two in the 40NLD2 model accounted for as many 100+lb fish on our trip as any other reel. The biggest fish on the boat recently (156 gill/gut weight) came on a Fathom.
    Garry, given what’s your preference in other reels, you may not like the 12. That said, I generally don’t like wide reels, either. This one balanced nicely, though.

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  6. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I really liked how the VISX falls into the hand. It has a very natural position where the side plate falls into the left hand with the middle finger into the middle window of the front x-frame. Very comfortable and functional. I would agree with Chris that you would like the 20 better Garry. The 16 felt small in my hands and I’m 6’4” like you. No doubt in my mind however that it’s a cow killer in the 16 size

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  7. Bob Sands

Bob Sands BOB SANDS TACKLE Advertiser

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Yo DT. We received the 10 and 12 Tesoro by Okuma. We sold out in two days. We will have more on order. Contact me if you are interested and I can put your name on one

Jamie

8. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    The two largest shops in CA: Longfin and Savon Tackle had the new Penn VISX reels and they sold out... they have been told by the Penn rep they should have more by the first of January. Also have to remember that the Penn reels are made on the east coast and the dealers there usually get them before west coast dealers do as it takes longer with regards to shipping time to hit the west coast. I also believe that Penn in their typical style wanted to see how well the new VISX reels would be received before going full speed ahead on production... so far they seem to be doing well both sales wise and fishing wise. IMO, Penn has really upped their game in the past few years and they have done their homework a lot better with regards to our needs here on the west coast and are producing some excellent products specific to they way we fish.

G

9. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I couldn’t agree more Gerry

10. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    oops

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  11. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's

Okay, I just did some very non-scientific testing on my TRQ40NLD2 and 12 VISX. The Torque spool has less inertia and starts ever-so-slightly easier than the 12. Both spin like tops once they get going.

12. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    That makes sense Chris since the VISX reels are big game reels by design (which generally means their spools are beefier (thicker arbor and side walls) which equates to more spool weight). The Torque reels have forged aluminum spools and are designed for casting so they are as light as you can get, but still very strong. And both of these reels being compared have similar line capacity ratings... the Torque 40NLD-2 spool appears to weigh more based on sight alone as it is much taller and appears larger to the eye, but I'll bet it's spool weight is less than the 12VISX because of the way it is made and its casting design. And those of us who have been at this for awhile know that spool weight is a VERY important factor when determining how well a reel will cast a pen cured sardine or a lighter jig... spool bearings and IMO spool design are also important factors when it comes to casting... on a tall, narrow spool the line comes off easier IMO as there is less crossover span for the line and more line coming off per rotation of the spool.

G

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017