chamackO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
before my trip, reports were the tuna at the 'lupe were eating 100# flouro. I went with the 16 and 20 Visx, as I knew I could drop down to 80#, fish them at 100#, and in the case of the 20, even higher. We had to drop to 80# to get bit, but I got a fish on each reel. Never felt like I was hanging on to too much reel at the rail, and the freespool was butter smooth on both. I've got the 'lupe covered, and would take these to the lower banks also. Are you looking for a niche reel to do just one thing, or a reel that can cover several applications. If these fish are back at the 'lupe next year, they wont be 125/145# fish anymore ;)
May end up being 30-60# fish eating Sardine 40# on the long soak lol

Reactions: terryc.

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
May end up being 30-60# fish eating Sardine 40# on the long soak lol
It's certainly cyclical...but our weather patterns are very definitely changing too. From what I am told by the oldtimers, what they used to catch at 'Lupe were bluefin. Sometimes very big bluefin. Now we find big yellowfin. Next season? We can only wait and see.

If I ever go back to Isla Guadalupe, and yes, I hope to someday, I hope to have some idea what we can expect to find. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to be ready for tuna of almost any size, from 30lbs to over 200lbs.

That's fishing. God, I love it so...

terryc.

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Just to clarify the 40NLD is not a true 80lb reel just so happens to be built well and will handle it on these Lupe fish dont consider it for 80lb. cow fishing etc.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
whats the best reel for fishin 80# at the lupe.having a 800xxh built looking for suggestions?
Whaaaat..??!! Your a Shimano guy. How do you not know what you need? You have been there more times than almost everyone else. Come on man...

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
A quality problem to have so many great choices.
For 80-100 mine was the Mak16SEa.
I forgot to add, a borrowed ATD12T fished with a 20-25 foot topshot of Sunline 80 lb on my Two by Four was absolutely a killer rig! Will give you all you need and then some. Loved it.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
duplicate

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Mike—just got back. The 800XXH is badass. Mine is paired with a Penn 12VISX. I fished 80 on it the entire time. My spectra was also 80#. I use ProSpec and that reel will hold a lot of it (640 yards).
Chris, ProSpec, solid or hollow?
And how did you connect to the fluoro, where did you get it?

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Solid. I connect to fluoro with an FG knot. I got this line at Dana Landing, but I’ve also gotten it at Fisherman’s.
Pro Spec is the cats meow. Only issue to date with it is sometimes it is prone to wind knots when tossing the iron. If you are diligent to cut the leader off and drag behind the boat to unwind then that negates the issue.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Mike—just got back. The 800XXH is badass. Mine is paired with a Penn 12VISX. I fished 80 on it the entire time. My spectra was also 80#. I use ProSpec and that reel will hold a lot of it (640 yards).
Hey Chris,

How did you like that 12VISX compared to your Torque 40NLD-2? Does it cast a fly line dine any better than the Torque 40NLD-2? Got to figure the smaller diameter spool on the 12VISX is better on the fighting end with regards to cranking power under heavy load (25-30lbs of drag).

G

Reactions: chamackO

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Hey Chris,

How did you like that 12VISX compared to your Torque 40NLD-2? Does it cast a fly line dine any better than the Torque 40NLD-2? Got to figure the smaller diameter spool on the 12VISX is better on the fighting end with regards to cranking power under heavy load (25-30lbs of drag).

G
Hey Garry,

It seems to have better guts: both stopping power and low-gear leverage. The freespool is ridiculously good without any tuning. I even considered throwing a popper with it at one point. That said, my buddies both fished the Torques the entire trip, and did very well, too. I really like them both; the VISX gets the nod for Lupe bait fishing, though.

Chris

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
I really enjoy fishing my Torque 40 with 60 and 80...even got a 134 with it on 60lb.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
The Torque 40NLD-2 is an awesome reel but it's not the reel you want to have when hooked to 165lb+ tuna (YFT or BFT). The smaller size "true" big game lever drag reels like the Penn VISX 12's and 16's or the Okuma 16SEa are much better suited for that grade of tuna IMO (they are just beefier overall and have a smaller diameter spool which is easier to turn under heavy load). With that said I really like the 4/0 narrow design for throwing large tuna jigs, poppers, plugs and the heavier Ron Z type artificials... so the Torque 40NLD-2 fits that application for me better than anything else available. I've got 500 yards of 80lb solid to 75 yards of 100lb solid on 2 of my Torque 40NLD-2 reels that are used for casting artificials on longer 7'6"- 8' heavy 80lb-100lb casting rods at larger tuna. I believe I could land a cow size tuna on a Torque 40NLD-2 with proper technique and using the proper heavy casting rod (I almost did land a cow BFT on that outfit earlier this year... got the fish to one big death circle from the gaff when it chewed thru my 80lb fluoro leader and slowly swam off)... lots of serious rail work to get there... but doable if you have the balls and stamina!

For the Lupe grade YFT the Torque 40NLD-2 is going to be just fine 90% of the time... plenty of drag, plenty of line capacity, plenty of low gear cranking power... and can cast a fly line pen cured sardine very well with proper casting technique. I recently added a longer power handle with a T-bar grip to my other 2 Torque 40NLD-2's that are used for the live bait (fly line) applications to provide easier low gear power cranks on that larger grade 150lb+ YFT & BFT.

G

Last edited:

chamackO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
The Torque 40NLD-2 is an awesome reel but it's not the reel you want to have when hooked to 165lb+ tuna (YFT or BFT). The smaller size "true" big game lever drag reels like the Penn VISX 12's and 16's or the Okuma 16SEa are much better suited for that grade of tuna IMO (they are just beefier overall and have a smaller diameter spool which is easier to turn under heavy load). With that said I really like the 4/0 narrow design for throwing large tuna jigs, poppers, plugs and the heavier Ron Z type artificials... so the Torque 40NLD-2 fits that application for me better than anything else available. I've got 500 yards of 80lb solid to 75 yards of 100lb solid on 2 of my Torque 40NLD-2 reels that are used for casting artificials on longer 7'6"- 8' heavy 80lb-100lb casting rods at larger tuna. I believe I could land a cow size tuna on a Torque 40NLD-2 with proper technique and using the proper heavy casting rod (I almost did land a cow BFT on that outfit earlier this year... got the fish to one big death circle from the gaff when it chewed thru my 80lb fluoro leader and slowly swam off)... lots of serious rail work to get there... but doable if you have the balls and stamina!

For the Lupe grade YFT the Torque 40NLD-2 is going to be just fine 90% of the time... plenty of drag, plenty of line capacity, plenty of low gear cranking power... and can cast a fly line pen cured sardine very well with proper casting technique. I recently added a longer power handle with a T-bar grip to my other 2 Torque 40NLD-2's that are used for the live bait (fly line) applications to provide easier low gear power cranks on that larger grade 150lb+ YFT & BFT.

G
Agreed given top of Lupe YFT would be 175#. Pic of the t handle?

chamackO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
Hey Garry,

It seems to have better guts: both stopping power and low-gear leverage. The freespool is ridiculously good without any tuning. I even considered throwing a popper with it at one point. That said, my buddies both fished the Torques the entire trip, and did very well, too. I really like them both; the VISX gets the nod for Lupe bait fishing, though.

Chris

Any noticeable difference in freespool when casting bait? I'm torn between those two models and might come down to freespool

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Any noticeable difference in freespool when casting bait? I'm torn between those two models and might come down to freespool
I think they’re really close. The VISX maybe a bit better. The big difference is how they feel in your hands. The 12 is lower and wider than the 40N.