spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
thanks steve/3x7osp/ has a much longer rear grip than your typical factory wrap rod. incredible back bone and very forgiving tip. was really surprised by it and you could not beat he price at the long finn

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
I fish the rail with the rod under my left arm pit. Reel handle is on the right side. I bend my body to the left mostly using my rib cage just below the armpit for pressure often. More precise pressure angles as my body bends to the side with allot of open degrees. During the up and down phase. Keeping that same pressure rhythm the entire time if possible so the fish spins to the surface naturally and smoothly. Or is that physics. Ribs and armpit

For my body. Line is retrieved much faster this way then bicycle riding. I'm short. Applying heavy pressure to the armpit and ribs is more pleasant imo then applying that extreme pressure to the nut sack.

If the rod won't load up between your legs. Well that's a good thing :D Probably less risky with that technique using a glass rod also btw

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I fish the rail with the rod under my left arm pit. Reel handle is on the right side. I bend my body to the left mostly using my rib cage just below the armpit for pressure often. More precise pressure angles as my body bends to the side with allot of open degrees. During the up and down phase. Keeping that same pressure rhythm the entire time if possible so the fish spins to the surface naturally and smoothly. Or is that physics. Ribs and armpit

For my body. Line is retrieved much faster this way then bicycle riding. I'm short. Applying heavy pressure to the armpit and ribs is more pleasant imo then applying that extreme pressure to the nut sack.

If the rod won't load up between your legs. Well that's a good thing :D Probably less risky with that technique using a glass rod also btw
Much appreciated. Thanks.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Mike sometimes just doesn’t give a crap about the English language.

Let me see if I can make some sense out of that for you:

Just upgraded to Seeker OSP 3X5. And, pretty sure that’s a Black MakSEa50.
Damn Steve, you're good. Now can you tell me what this means. It's from Post #8:
"I lost a bigger one on the hxw at circles. crimp broke. and the angler was trying to cut the circles off by pulling my guts out at the apex of his circles. "

Apex of his circles?

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Cutting circles is to pull as hard as you can when the fish is farthest from the boat. It works because with the fish on it’s side the circles are highest to the surface there. What you are doing is keeping the fish high to come to the boat. Apex is not only farthest but highest.

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
Mike sometimes just doesn’t give a crap about the English language.

Let me see if I can make some sense out of that for you:

Just upgraded to Seeker OSP 3X5. And, pretty sure that’s a Black MakSEa50.

just upgraded to a 3x7osp and a black man 50
Please, I'll admit it, lack the inside jargon. What is this? I think I must want one?

I don't speak Spinner but I'm pretty sure he was referring to a Seeker OSP 3X and a middle aged black man. Seeker doesn't make an OSP 3x5

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I know Seeker has a OSP 3X that is 7 foot 3 inch that is rated 100-150#

Reactions: locvetter

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Still working on deciphering that. 3x7osp

Now I believe it’s an OSP 3X that is 7 feet.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
The more the fishes nose is pointed up durring the up and down brawl. The faster the fish spirals up to the boat. The mission is not to let the fish get its head back down when the fish is swimming up to you.

Ribs for cutting circles. Come back this way. Fulcrum locked comboed

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Reel = Avet HX Raptor
Squaring off Circles = "Roll your Reel",...AKA - "Cop a Feel"

Agree with others about reel size....have never heard anybody on a big tuna or a BIG TUNA ever say they wish they had a smaller reel unless of course your an idiot like me and fish em on a ATD 12.....would have loved having a ATD 30 instead but the fish ended up on the deck so it's all good

Last edited:

Tykkyt E Blue

Sunny and 75...( actually 71 miles back to dock )
Aug 18, 2012
Vancouver BC, Canada
Name
Terry
Boat
23' Monaro HT w 250 OB
Thanks for the opinions folks.
I didnt want to get into the "why would you?" issue...but I dont fish to eat. Another pic on FB isnt a big deal for me either. In the last 5 yrs of fall trips I have given away 3/4 of all the fish I land.
I have more fun when I feel like a pulled hook or break off is imminent.
I intentionally want to be undergunned..its my idea of fun/ challenge. If the fish gets off so be it..they deserve to swim away sometimes. Just like the old story of the rabbit running for its life and the dog running for lunch.