Reel Choice, Penn 16VISX vs..???

Dozer217

Aug 12, 2010
LBC
I've got a Shimano Speedmaster 25ii but feel like I may need a heavy framed reel. I've talked myself into the Penn, what other options should I consider or is my current reel adequate?

Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
  • Jan 3, 2010
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Independence
    I've got a Shimano Speedmaster 25ii but feel like I may need a heavy framed reel. I've talked myself into the Penn, what other options should I consider or is my current reel adequate?
    I think at the end of the day what you have will work I mean I see some way under gunned reels getting the fish to the boat after what seems to be an eternity.
    Now with that said I prefer the easy route and fish the biggest reel I can hold for an extended period, Penn VISX 12/16 are my heavy duty reels of choice.

Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    May wish to consider Penn VISX 20. The Penn VISX 16 is about the same size as your Talica 25.

Upvote 0

Parske

Sep 14, 2006
    Tequesta, Fl
    Name
    Michael Parske
    Boat Name
    none
    If you send your reel in every year for service. That is 4 years of free servicing on the reel at $45 a year equating to $180 savings. So if you back that out of he cost of the reel. It really changes the price point for comparison.

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
    Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat Name
    passenger again
    I used my Tiburon SST 16 last year with out a hitch. And yes the the auto shift worked exactly how it was ment to.

Upvote 0

Fat Spottie

Mar 29, 2021
    Pacific Beach
    Name
    Pump Daddy C
    Boat Name
    11ft whaler called the "homie tax device"
    I prefer my VISX 16. Very square reel, lower low gear and better higher high gear for jigging. It’s cam fishes 100lb @ 40lbs of drag without binding.

The drags are butter. Don’t worry to much about the warranty they are an actual tank. Tbf the mak is nice but it’s not built with the same heavy gearing as a VISX, it’s gears are huge for the size of the spool.

Upvote 0

Gully

May 13, 2017
    huntington beach
    Name
    alex
    Boat Name
    none
    I see some ratings on MAX drag being misinterpreted.

MAX DRAG @ STRIKE VS MAX DRAG IN FULL.

TAC20/25
    SM20/25
    MAX STRIKE DRAG @ 30lbs / 40lbs FULL

PENN VISX
    12 STRIKE MAX DRAG @ 24lbs / 40lbs FULL
    16 STRIKE MAX DRAG @ 30lbs / 40lbs FULL
    20 STRIKE MAX DRAG @ 34lbs / 45lbs FULL

MAKAIRA
    8/10/15 STRIKE MAX DRAG @ 27lbs / 34lbs FULL
    16 STRIKE MAX @ 34lbs / 48lbs FULL
    20/30 STRIKE MAX @ 37lbs / 55lbs FULL

Weight, application and price determines your buy.
    All reels from all brands will hold up well within spec assuming you don't max out the reel each trip. Absolute tanks from all 3 brands if you ask me.

Reactions: tony38
    Upvote 0