Reel Choice for deckhand rod

Salmondave22

May 21, 2020
Monterey
Name
david brown
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler
I just purchased a UC Del Mar deckhand rod 30-60 lb test. I currently have an Accurate bx 500 and 500n reel.
Would you put the 500n on it for increased casting distance or the 500 for increased line capacity?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
I just purchased a UC Del Mar deckhand rod 30-60 lb test. I currently have an Accurate bx 500 and 500n reel.
Would you put the 500n on it for increased casting distance or the 500 for increased line capacity?
Thanks in advance.
The 500 is going to cast better then a N. Wide reels always cast better... more line comes off with each rotation on wider spools as the greater capacity also prevents the line from diving into the a less empty spool with shorter wraps. On a full spool, that wrap may have 18 inches of line. On a shorter spool, it might only have 9.

Check out any distance casting reels, Ambassaduers, 505 Mag series... all the reels that held distance records, or are used for distance casting use wide reels.

Also both those reels are kinda small for that rod, I’d get a a Fathom 25N or 30.

Reactions: Salmondave22
Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
The 500 is going to cast better then a N. Wide reels always cast better... more line comes off with each rotation on wider spools as the greater capacity also prevents the line from diving into the a less empty spool with shorter wraps. On a full spool, that wrap may have 18 inches of line. On a shorter spool, it might only have 9.

Check out any distance casting reels, Ambassaduers, 505 Mag series... all the reels that held distance records, or are used for distance casting use wide reels.

Also both those reels are kinda small for that rod, I’d get a a Fathom 25N or 30.

That concept better applies to certain set ups. There are several variables that can effect the results.

We're talking surface iron here. No that Hatteras cast, mag brake, down-butt reel placement non sense. Just a simple 60-99 yard cast of an aluminum bar in a space of a phone booth during a stop. Distance is good but placement is better. You can take 10 iron slingers with 10 defferent set ups and they'll all hit a yellow on the head inside 99 yards. If you need 100 yards move the boat forward or sling chum and wait.

We're not perfect at stacking the line back on the spool. Some guys zig zag the hell out of their line. Some stack their line neatly. Add in greater reel spool width, gear ratio differences, pandemonium bite atmosphere, angler experience, and you'll get all sorts of line stacking results. That small difference can effect the way the line shoots off their spool and can offset the effects of "going wider".

A narrow reel has the benefit of lesser weight which equates to lesser fatigue over the course of a trip. Another benefit is less reel wobble as the handle is closer to centerline. Either way finding the right balance for you is key.

As for line capacity it's a non issue. 99 yard cast plus a bit more if I'm sinking it isn't much mono off the top on a 500N. Hammered drags and 40# is pretty hard to break even with a pissed off homeguard on the other end. Keep the fish pointed at the boat and tell the deckhand it's coming in hot.

Upvote 0

Latest posts