Inshore Reds, reds and more reds.

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat Name
None
Launched from Dana Landing around 6:30 am and made a quick stop at the barge for some bait. Bait was a smorgasbord. Spanish macs, sardine in the 4-6” size and a handful of greenies. In the tank, and off we go to our first stop.

Made our way to the 270 and arrived shortly after leaving the jetty.

Fished double dropper loops on 25# in 240ish’ of water and it was instant. Fish cooperated and the three of us were able to find a little pile that produced triple hookups on the double dropper loops that gave us a trio of limits of reds on the 3-5 lbs range by 8:30 am. Two drops in this area and we limited on reds.

Missed a legal ling by .25” and could’ve probably stretched it out to 22”, could’ve gone either way, to be honest. The ling smashed a pink and white squid fly, tipped with a squid strip. Found these in Oahu in January and brought some back with me and they did the trick on the cod today!

Anyway, after nearly catching our 10 fish limit, we took off to take a look up towards La Jolla. First stop was “Streets” and it was dirty. Water was brown, borderline red tide brown. Made our way to the northwest corner and it was pretty dead up there, as well. I did see some bigger marks up towards “The Bump” and they were cruising, mid water column. No schools marked, just single big marks cruising around mid water column, in about 80-95’.

Went back to the 270 and fished our way to a three limit rockfish type of day by 1:30pm.

That’s a 15” filet knife, for size comparison.

Tons of dolphin and tons of bait 4-5 miles due west of Mission Bay.

75 degree temp, blue skies, lake like conditions, you would think spring has sprung!

Hope the report helps.

Good luck out there!

6CCB65CC-00BC-4DD8-96C9-4A1268B36454.jpeg

322198DC-DA21-44E0-8B3D-4C243790291C.jpeg

Last edited:

RDELAY

Jul 2, 2008
Ramona, CA
Name
Rick
Boat Name
"Fresh One" - 22' Bayrunner Baja
I was also out in La Jolla yesterday afternoon until dark and the conditions in La Jolla were horrible. Flat seas & little to no wind, water was ugly though! Tried all the spots where I’ve caught fish before and only managed a couple whitefish and one red & a Sculpin. Good job at the 270!

Reactions: Secutor54
Upvote 0

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat Name
None
I was also out in La Jolla yesterday afternoon until dark and the conditions in La Jolla were horrible. Flat seas & little to no wind, water was ugly though! Tried all the spots where I’ve caught fish before and only managed a couple whitefish and one red & a Sculpin. Good job at the 270!
We gave it an honest shot for about 45 minutes and moved after hitting 3 or 4 spots and it was just dead. I will say that the amount of bait and dolphins I saw due west of Mission Bay is gonna go boom as soon as the water hits 62-63 degrees and cleans up a bit. Good effort and good luck. You’ll gettem next time!

Reactions: RDELAY and SMYLEE
Upvote 0