KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    So we tried to launch out of Redondo Beach at 6:00 am. Few boats lined up waiting for launch dude to show up. We wait until 7:10 am and he’s a no show. That RB operation is 100% when it comes to inconsistent (Bait,Boats,Open,Not Open). So we decide to take the short run North to Marina Del Rey. Picked up a $30 swing of half dead horse deans from the bait receiver at MDR.

We head up the line to see if we could scratch out a few Calico off the boiler rocks. Worked from Topanga to the 3rd point just past the Malibu pier. We found a metric fuck-ton of bait in the water but zero fish. Got tired of that program and ran 10 miles west out to a few 250’ drops to fill the taco bags. Made three drifts and picked up two limits of 2-3lb reds. We also picked up another full limit of Mylar balloons along with a the a 5 gallon bucket full of other trash floating in the water.

Water was muddy green and 71*. Unfortunately didn’t take any photos of the reds, but I did get one of my favorite kinda dog...

742B7DBE-1AB7-43D8-BAEB-EFA171BD5189.jpeg 9EDEDC01-9C2E-44C6-B925-99442E4C267F.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Well I would say a successful day...

Love the pic of the dog, hope we can start seeing more like this... getting sick of the pics of the cow bluefin...

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    So we tried to launch out of Redondo Beach at 6:00 am. Few boats lined up waiting for launch dude to show up. We wait until 7:10 am and he’s a no show. That RB operation is 100% when it comes to inconsistent (Bait,Boats,Open,Not Open). So we decide to take the short run North to Marina Del Rey. Picked up a $30 swing of half dead horse deans from the bait receiver at MDR.

We head up the line to see if we could scratch out a few Calico off the boiler rocks. Worked from Topanga to the 3rd point just past the Malibu pier. We found a metric fuck-ton of bait in the water but zero fish. Got tired of that program and ran 10 miles west out to a few 250’ drops to fill the taco bags. Made three drifts and picked up two limits of 2-3lb reds. We also picked up another full limit of Mylar balloons along with a the a 5 gallon bucket full of other trash floating in the water.

Water was muddy green and 71*. Unfortunately didn’t take any photos of the reds, but I did get one of my favorite kinda dog...

View attachment 960881 View attachment 960882

If I fished every single day, and could pick only one time each day to have the best chance finding someone at the Redondo bait barge, I'd pick 6AM. Next time you get bait in Redondo ask Mike, yes Mike, if there's a better way to find out when to be there, everything will fall into place, take my word, best I can do for you.

Crap, I almost forgot, love the dead seal pic!

Reactions: KINGSIZE
    Upvote 0

KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    If I fished every single day, and could pick only one time each day to have the best chance finding someone at the Redondo bait barge, I'd pick 6AM. Next time you get bait in Redondo ask Mike, yes Mike, if there's a better way to find out when to be there, everything will fall into place, take my word, best I can do for you.

Crap, I almost forgot, love the dead seal pic!

Bait wasnt the issue this time around. It was the lack of a boat launch operator.

Fortunately, I fish irons 99% of the time. It’s the guys I fish with that require bait.

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    Yep both times at the Redondo launch I had to call and wait for the guy to show up, I figured he was at Naja's, haha. I guess I was lucky he showed up on Sunday.

Good to see 71* degree water, good sign of warmer water.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Doesn’t Larry’s business depend on selling bait ? Why can’t he get a handle on the un business like operation in redondo. He has a great product that can’t get to market.

Upvote 0

KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    Doesn’t Larry’s business depend on selling bait ? Why can’t he get a handle on the un business like operation in redondo. He has a great product that can’t get to market.

Wish I had the answer to that question. It’s sad to see RB head down this path it’s been on for sometime. I cut my fishing teeth in RB on the Blackjack, Sharpshooter, The Isla and City of Redondo. I remember back in the 80s when it was hard to even get on trip because it was always sold out.

Last edited:
    Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

TheExterminater

Almost A Member
    Jul 8, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jeffrey Vinquist
    Boat
    21' sea swirl
    There isn't enough boats on the week days to be open all the time for them but if ya call ahead you can get bait down there on the week days especially if your down there when Mike baits up the special 6:45am ish.

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    The biggest problem with Redondo is having the boat lift. It's expensive, time consuming, and a wasted space.
    Redondo has plenty of room to put in a launch ramp and they need to move forward with a building one in the locations they specified, enough with the BS.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    There isn't enough boats on the week days to be open all the time.

They could have that much traffic, but they clearly don't want it. How many boats does 22nd Street have online 7 days a week now?

They could easily draw enough people for a SBI or San Nick overnight boat on the weekends.

Upvote 0

KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    The biggest problem with Redondo is having the boat lift. It's expensive, time consuming, and a wasted space.
    Redondo has plenty of room to put in a launch ramp and they need to move forward with a building one in the locations they specified, enough with the BS.

Very true. I know over 20 locals that would rather self launch outta RB rather than driving the additional 35-45 minutes south to Cabrillo, Davies or Sunset.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    I believe the issue with the non existent lift operator has been handled...

So I have been told by a very reliable source.

as far as bait, just call them

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    The boat launch issue has been going on for the few years now and the biggest hurdle they keep revisiting is safety of the paddle boarders, which should be a non issue if any of these clowns would take a look at Alamitos or HH.
    Simple solution is make the area around the ramp off limits to them. The harbor is large enough to accommodate everyone, but the CCC and the "harbor safety board" are the 2 main groups causing the delay in getting a ramp put in.
    I'm in the SGV and I usually launch out of Davies or SP, but from time to time I like going to RB, but that lift, combined with the parking fee ($30 total) keeps me away the majority of the time.
    I think if RB put a ramp in on the opposite side of the lift would be awesome. Imagine coming back from fishing and heading over to Najas, or any restaurant, for some beers and food.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    There isn't enough boats on the week days to be open all the time for them but if ya call ahead you can get bait down there on the week days especially if your down there when Mike baits up the special 6:45am ish.

Their open 7 DAYS A WEEK> 6:00am weekends and 7:00am weekdays. Sal is always their, Just go over to the office or look for him in his cart in the parking lot. I drop out of their 6-7 times a month with no issues in the morning.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Sal is reliable. But they need to coincide with inseine bait co. It is unreliable .Their Facebook page is sporadic at best. When I go fishing I need to know if sal and mike will be there. Having to leave and go to SP or MDR cuz no bait or lift operator is really unacceptable. Again why can’t Larry and the city get their shit together? I like some of you grew up fishing bones on rental skiffs , casting crocodiles from the jetty etc. redondo would be my go to launch if there was consistency to the operation. Fishing Catalina’s west end from RB is my favorite. Add Larry’s cured bait and it’s a winner.

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat
    Obliviousone
    Redondo used to be a world class operation back in the days same as Insane Bait was in MDR for so many wonderfull years. Larry is a super cool guy but he got totally fucked and was priced out when they renovated the fuel dock ta MDR.

Rick Ofinger is now the King of MDR who could care less about private boaters and only supports the MDR sportfishing operation. MDR bait is by far the worst quality anywhere because they could care less, especially the private boaters. Unfortunately King Harbor does not have the traffic to support a live bait operation due to being so geographically undesirable so it is what it is, such a shame.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Sal is reliable. But they need to coincide with inseine bait co. It is unreliable .Their Facebook page is sporadic at best. When I go fishing I need to know if sal and mike will be there. Having to leave and go to SP or MDR cuz no bait or lift operator is really unacceptable. Again why can’t Larry and the city get their shit together? I like some of you grew up fishing bones on rental skiffs , casting crocodiles from the jetty etc. redondo would be my go to launch if there was consistency to the operation. Fishing Catalina’s west end from RB is my favorite. Add Larry’s cured bait and it’s a winner.

Get Sal's cell phone number, Also not sure what # you have for larry, but again I have never problem getting bait way early or way late if they have bait. FYI Sal will probably open 1-2 hrs before normal operating hours if you buy his breakfast and give him a tip. He doesn't get paid to open early from the Marina, So,,, If you make it worth his while, You'll be surprised what he will do for you,,, without me getting into it any further than I just told you. Good Luck

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Redondo used to be a world class operation back in the days same as Insane Bait was in MDR for so many wonderfull years. Larry is a super cool guy but he got totally fucked and was priced out when they renovated the fuel dock ta MDR.

Rick Ofinger is now the King of MDR who could care less about private boaters and only supports the MDR sportfishing operation. MDR bait is by far the worst quality anywhere because they could care less, especially the private boaters. Unfortunately King Harbor does not have the traffic to support a live bait operation due to being so geographically undesirable so it is what it is, such a shame.

I Agree with you about Redondo in the old days. Redondo had 5 boats running out of their and Jim Meyers handled the bait ( The Sun Beam and African Queen), They even supplied MDR with bait for about 6 years. We had basically a 24 hr receiver if you could put up with the old man and his dog Bruno (he would bite every one he could get his chops on) also Live bait on both piers if you fished the pier. Those were the good old days catching yellowtail at the bubble hole, bass in the harbor with all the bonita you wanted.

Upvote 0

hydra

Aug 30, 2009
    Trabuco cyn ca
    Name
    George
    Boat
    18' Glenn-L aquacat
    Their open 7 DAYS A WEEK> 6:00am weekends and 7:00am weekdays. Sal is always their, Just go over to the office or look for him in his cart in the parking lot. I drop out of their 6-7 times a month with no issues in the morning.
    Whats going on DH ?

Upvote 0