Inshore Redondo Canyon, 5-28 to 5-298

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Owed one of my kids a birthday trip. He was so fired up to go, it was like one one of those overhead pitches that Little League hitters swing at.

Launched before midnight. Shared my test run and gave a Mexican bystander a little 300 yard run in the harbor. Offloaded the bystander and we took off to winds and chop that seemed wilder than Windy.com forecast.

There was a big period swell with wind slop on it. We elected to stay close and work canyon edges. First stop, bell bouy.

Theorized that ebb tide would bring foragers to where harbor dumps into canyon. No luck.

Trucked out to Palawan. Thought maybe it's location would give us sandbags/RF love. Two passes, no luck.

Drifted all the way back to the bell bouy, bouncing rock cod jigs tipped with squid, for nothing but eel grass.

Had mild engine issues. Engine would start, and run ok at high rpm. Would bog and die at low RPM. I was sure it was fuel related. I had lowered idle rpm when running a home check on the motor recently. Reveal on actual issue at end of post.

My son knocked out sitting on the 6 gallon tank. Cold was starting to get to me, and decided to run back in and pull the plug.

He woke up long enough to get to heated seats in the Saab.

I loaded all goodies back in the car, ran off gas, pulled motor and...

F'N Eel Grass!!! Wrapped all around the prop. Musta been killing my idle at low RPM. Never rule out a snag on the prop.

Wishing you all better Memorial Day luck. Thanks to all the Vets!

20210529_130312.jpg

Last edited:

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    I always wondered what the Redondo area fished like. Thank you for the heads up about the eel grass fowling your prop.

I just looked up boat ramps in the area and ran into the Redondo Beach Marina and they use a boat hoist. That seems so cool and terrifying.

Reactions: FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I know most people hate to see their pride and joy hanging from a pair of nylon slings, but they have decent rates, and eons of history doing it.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Palos verdes is 10 min away and a good live bait operation. 100 yards to open ocean.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
    Aug 2, 2007
    Covina, Ca
    Name
    Ed Efishnsea
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 205 Eastport Cuddy cabin, + Dinghy +Kayaks
    Hey,
    On your engine running rough at low RPM- try running some Seafoam in your gas tank. It will probably clean up the gas pathways and end your problems.
    Just a thought and a cheap way to try to end your rough engine running issues. Walmart for $7 or less,
    Good luck-

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    When I would run the boat in the driveway, I would pull off the gas line and spray in Berryman B-12 carb cleaned and let it run for a minute and then shut down. Every time I pulled the carbs, they were pristine. That was a 79 Johnson 55 hp that served me well for over 10 years.

Watch the eel grass. Last year I had a wad on the prop and it actually breached the seal. Luckily I caught it before it did any damage. Just noticed some oil spots on the driveway. Had to pull the bearing hub to clean up everything. Oil was milky, but changed it and no problems.

Upvote 0