mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I remember the last time it was like that.It took us about 5 hours to get back from Catalina on the Blackjack.The city of Redondo sank in the harbor and the bait receiver ended up inside the Portofino Inn.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
and the bait receiver ended up inside the Portofino
The whole dock would have been on the rocks if not for the guys puttin in extra moorings and making vast improvements...
As it is a receiver was blown out busting up 4x4s

although amazingly retrieved ...

IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

Last edited:

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
That storm that sunk the City was Jan. 18, 1988. I think that was the right date. Glen Mueller ruffed it out with the Sepcial tied in the slip in the Lagoon.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I remember the last time it was like that.It took us about 5 hours to get back from Catalina on the Blackjack.The city of Redondo sank in the harbor and the bait receiver ended up inside the Portofino Inn.
And what happened to the Blue Moon Saloon?

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Yeah I think that was the right date on the sinking of the "City"I fished it the day before,I think Rick Ofinger or Derry were running it the day before,I remember it sinking in the harbor.

mik911

Apr 6, 2008
SoBay, SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
9'6" longboard
Didn't know the City sank in the harbor. So what did they do with it?
I used to fish the Special when Eric was deckhand.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The city went up to Ciscos and became the channel isle
Is it still up there? I heard it was last in Ensenada but that was years ago. I was always a Special kid growing up. At rare times I would skip a weekend of fishing and be a Sea Spray kid.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Interesting history lessons. As a native of San Diego I never heard these stories

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
As a kid, I used to grab bonita out of the rocks inside the harbor when the surge was big, then sell them for $.50 each.

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Great photo. Saw some waterfalls coming over the MDR break wall as well but not like that. Did take my son down to Grand Ave at Dockwiggles on that day as well. Surf was big.

j

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
The Bonita were thick inside the harbor, if you got to the pier early and got a spot on the end you could throw a yellow feather with a clear bobber 1/2 full of water and catch yellowtail.

The surge would wash the bonita up in the rocks and you could time it, hop down and grab them by the tail and get out before the wave hit the rocks. We used a rag to grip them, toss them in a 5 gallon bucket. Get a full bucket and we would sell them.

This was 35+ years ago

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
The Bonita were thick inside the harbor, if you got to the pier early and got a spot on the end you could throw a yellow feather with a clear bobber 1/2 full of water and catch yellowtail.

The surge would wash the bonita up in the rocks and you could time it, hop down and grab them by the tail and get out before the wave hit the rocks. We used a rag to grip them, toss them in a 5 gallon bucket. Get a full bucket and we would sell them.

This was 35+ years ago
Grabbing a hot bonito by the tail in the water is definitely something I would have to see to believe..