Redondo Bonito Bonanza, 11-17

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by FishinMcNuggets, Nov 19, 2018.

1. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Short:

Sat Bonito,
    high at 6am, Santa Ana offshore and wavelets at launch tapering to noon glass
    Bones 3-6 lbs, 4 for us both, on 30 flouro and braid.
    Fleet 17 boats strong with 3/4 day Pedro & MDR boats in the mix
    Bait schools, fur-bags and ponies present

20181117_080655.jpg

Long:

Decided I'd been off the water waaay too long and that the persisting bonito bite was a sign that I had to get back to the sea. Took my fishiest kid with me for ease of logistics and booked down to King Harbor. Small boat launch is still up, and looks to be getting a lot of lobster traffic. Zip tie bit all over, but not as bad as years past.

Launched quickly and tied on a jawbreaker and a Kroc. Trolled basically all day long.

Right outta the harbor hooked the right kind on the jawbreaker. Fishy zone started about 1/2 mile off the pier along the south ridge of the canyon, and extended to the fleet about 4 miles out almost due west. First fish hooked was impressive at maybe 4 pounds, but even more fun was to come.

We continued west heading towards the fleet, thinking maybe they aggregated the fish in one area. on the way out we had a couple bites that came off, indicating possibly lightly hooked fish, or that my son needs to improve technique in keeping in contact with his fish. We boated a second porky bone and popped it the bleed bucket. Ponies showed up and put on a show. We got a little video and kept going.

So at some point we decide to jet out to the fleet. Get to the edge (1/4 mile) of the fleet and drop trollers back in the water. Tradition, New Del Mar, Special, Native Sun, Victory, and another one or two sporties are there. Hookups are to be seen here and there. Big fur-bags were slapping lost bonito carcasses around. Birds were happy.

20181117_092755.jpg
    Just as we had pulled up, the New Del Mar was picking up to make a move. EVERYONE followed suit in the span of 20 minutes, and followed him. He moved east, back up the canyon about a mile, and everyone followed him like puppies. We hooked our largest bones just east of where the fleet had been, both coming and going. One was possibly pushing 7 lbs. They were hooked trolling a Bridgeport Diamond jig! Things which did not work for the day were a megabait and a dorado colored Kroc. Kayakers looked to be catching on swimbaits.

What worked best for us was trolling along canyon edges, and putting action into the trolled offerings. I'd twitch the lines to give the lures additional action. Reading the water was the other thing that worked. Trolling towards birds, near bait, in the same direction as boats that were hooking up nearby, and letting our fish sound when pinnipeds approached.

What didn't work was fishing in a fleet. Likewise long stroking and slack lining fish lost a couple for my son. We could have fished lighter line and smaller baits, and possible done better.
    20181117_113429.jpg
    We had a great time. Altogether everyone looked cooperative, Yakers were friendly, we came no closer than 100 yards of any sporty, and all the privateers were thumbs up and hollering about fish. Bonito baked up great in pyrex with soy, brown sugar, and onion powder. Go get some!

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    WTG Mike! That is one happy kid! Congrats on a great day and being a great Dad!

3. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    Thanks for the detailed report.
    Making memories with your boy is priceless. He’ll be talking about that day and bragging about his dad to his friends for a long time.

4. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Best report of the week.
    Funner than another 200 lb bluefin.
    Looked like an awesome trip for you guys.
    Well done.

5. sulla

sulla Torrance Ca

Name:
    Sulla
    Boat:
    Party Boat Near You
    Great report Mike and congrats on the good fishing! Can’t beat a day on the water with your boy with some nice weather and some catching to boot.

6. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Bonito fishing with kids the best?

7. dockrat88

dockrat88 no fish pulling against me shall prosper

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    whatever floats
    Way to get them on the inflatable

8. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Yep was a lot of fun. We managed 8 and lost as many do to light line and furbags. Haven't seen that many boats in the SMB in a long time.

9. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I love those big bones. Takes me back to my youth.

10. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Thank you guys. Yeah, it's a blessing to have semi-indentured fishing partners in the household. Plus it's fun to hear kids retell fishing stories, the fish get bigger every retelling.

Seriously the inflatable was the BEST way to scratch the boating itch on a budget. I'd recommend it to anyone who's on the fence... But wants to get on the water!

What worked for us was dragging the fish away from airbags with the boat, and doubling back quickly regaining line after they plane up. Heavy line required.