SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Wouldn’t you much rather see a boat that bends, rather than one that breaks. No outside bridge on the Supreme? How do they back into the dock?
It has rear controls on the upper deck, not an outside bridge on the front, called a Portuguese bridge. Look at the RP, AA and RS. Different wheelhouse, bridge configuration

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It has rear controls on the upper deck, not an outside bridge on the front, called a Portuguese bridge. Look at the RP, AA and RS. Different wheelhouse, bridge configuration
Yes, I’m familiar with the Portuguese Bridge. The crew members stand out there, glassing for fish. Captain steps out to operate controls when dropping or weighing anchor.

Back in the day, the only bridge on some of the boats was like that, exposed. I’ve seen pics of Bill Poole bundled up and running a boat to the Coronados.

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Yes, I’m familiar with the Portuguese Bridge. The crew members stand out there, glassing for fish. Captain steps out to operate controls when dropping or weighing anchor.

Back in the day, the only bridge on some of the boats was like that, exposed. I’ve seen pics of Bill Poole bundled up and running a boat to the Coronados.
No Shit! Is that why they have them?
Then why did you ask how they back the boat in to the dock?
I was just pointing out that the Portuguese adds a lot of weight up high making a boat rock and snap more.

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
I have not ridden on the RR, would think that the shudder you are feeling would come from a source, like the prop or drive train? Pretty common running uphill, pushing into the swells.

What does the crew say?
No, it's just the reverberation of the aluminum hull when it's mostly empty and hits a wave. Nothing to do with the drive train.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
No, it's just the reverberation of the aluminum hull when it's mostly empty and hits a wave. Nothing to do with the drive train.
Seems like a lot of guessing going on. The Rooster did that on my trip and it was not mostly empty, in fact it was mostly full. My guess based on the sound, feel and timing was as you state, "just the reverberation of the aluminum hull" after dropping off a wave.

Reactions: Cubeye

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
No Shit! Is that why they have them?
Then why did you ask how they back the boat in to the dock?
I was just pointing out that the Portuguese adds a lot of weight up high making a boat rock and snap more.
Because the captain also steps out of the wheelhouse and operates the controls while backing in. Shit, Tom, do you have blinders on all the time, unaware that there are other boats besides the Supreme? And I suspect your theory that the Portuguese Bridge adds a lot of weight isn’t shared by many, if any others.

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
Seems like a lot of guessing going on. The Rooster did that on my trip and it was not mostly empty, in fact it was mostly full. My guess based on the sound, feel and timing was as you state, "just the reverberation of the aluminum hull" after dropping off a wave.
That's all it is, and not only confined to aluminum hulls. Steel hulls do it too, but way less pronounced.

COSDoug

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
The one time I did a 5 day on the R R I remember several specific items. First and foremost was Mike Nall. His cuisine was out of sight. The Perfect blend of home cookin' with just the right splash of fancy. I think Mike is the best I've ever enjoyed. Very friendly and worth the price of admission all by himself.
The negatives... The heads being in the salon I personally thought was awkward. Hanging out waiting to shower while people were having the first sitting for dinner was uncomfortable. The tackle station being in the salon takes up a lot of room. It just seemed an impractical use of valuable space. What to me seemed user unfriendly were the access doors going from the salon to the stern. There are 2 doors where it should be 1. Pretty stained glass but wearing a rod belt you sort of have to go sideways through the opening or open up the second door. Maybe I'm just over weight.
I did like the outside bench seating but then again if I designed the boat I most likely would have used that precious space for something else.

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Because the captain also steps out of the wheelhouse and operates the controls while backing in. Shit, Tom, do you have blinders on all the time, unaware that there are other boats besides the Supreme? And I suspect your theory that the Portuguese Bridge adds a lot of weight isn’t shared by many, if any others.
Dude all I was saying was that that style of bridge has a lot of weight up top. That is a fact. Ask anybody familiar with Boat construction.
Yes I am aware that there are other boats.
I just want to go fishing

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
I fish it every year on one of Bluefin Jim's trips. Hopefully I'll be able to take over Jim's promotional role on the July 6 day.

Reactions: Mike Nall

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Didn't say it wouldn't survive...just has a sporty hull. and Yes I rather be in a 100' plus boat than a 90' boat in bad weather JMO.....I have seen running parallel with the Supreme and the AA going uphill the difference in ride with the Intrepid.....and no IMO they don't all roll like those three boats you mentioned.
I'd rather be on A 90' x 30' foot boat, Instead of a 110' x 24' boat any day of the week. Ride the Shogun in bad weather and compare it to a longer and narrow boat. Big Difference you will notice. Don't just say it's "Because it's a steel boat". The Shogun cut's the water and doesn't roll like other boats, Especially when your in the trough. P.S The Shogun is a 90' boat and rides better than most boats over 90'.:-)

Last edited:

dtf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
I'd rather be on A 90' x 30' foot boat, Instead of a 110' x 24' boat any day of the week. Ride the Shogun in bad weather and compare it to a longer and narrow boat. Big Difference you will notice. Don't just say it's "Because it's a steel boat". The Shogun cut's the water and doesn't roll like other boats, Especially when your in the trough. P.S The Shogun is a 90' boat and rides better than most boats over 90'.:-)
{Shogun cut's the water}, better definition might be pushes the water. Slow boat.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
{Shogun cut's the water}, better definition might be pushes the water. Slow boat.
An unfortunate nickname of a boat with a good crew... Slowgun.

The most efficient hull size for a powered vessel is a 6 to 1 ratio. But at the size of sport boats that ratio would make it hard to fish. But that is why the larger sport boats are better in rough water. Most likely why the Intrepid added a larger stern. The Rooster was one of the best hulls that the Poole Boatyard made.

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I always loved being on the Shogun when it was rough. Her fat ass makes for a comfortable spot to fish from and a smother ride home.

she just needed some TLC which I hear she’s gotten

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Thanks for all the comments. I am booked on an 8 day in 2020, Oct 18-26th. I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Have a stellar trip. 11 month count down goes by fast.

I think the shogun repowered and they did add a crows nest. Felt faster now

tunacraze

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Yep. New Cat C-18's a few years ago. Most of the LR fleet run those motors now. RP, Royal Star, Shogun and Intrepid.

Reactions: dh515

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Thanks for all the comments. I am booked on an 8 day in 2020, Oct 18-26th. I am looking forward to it.
That’s a good time to be going. Hopefully the wahoo are biting. Remind Maria in the office you are tall and need the longer bunk. In fact I suggest you email her or call a few weeks ahead to remind her, again

I’m on the Hightower memorial trip, earlier. Someone should post how we did. If not PM me.

If you have any special diet needs, let them know and remind the chef when you board.

Reactions: Dale Fero

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Dan,

Good call. I was on that same trip in 2012. Actually a week later so I missed all the election BS. Was my first ever Long Range experience. You will have a blast!

Reactions: Elitetv1958

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Dan -- I'll see you on the Rooster next October! I've signed up along with several of my fishing buddies from Alaska. I'm the old hand -- been fishing the Rooster for over a decade -- but they are all newbies to LR fishing, albeit good salmon fishermen. We'll have a great time. I've just got to get my March 15 day out of the way first...

cap_lr

May 16, 2007
San Diego
Name
Laurens
Boat
SOLD!
I’m leaving on a 16/13 day this Saturday on the RR. Great fishing platform. Mike and Fernando are fantastic. I sometimes have peanut butter and jelly because mike’s meals are too fancy for me. First class outfit all the way.
I'm leaving on the same 16/13, but on Sunday ;)