Red Rooster spent all morning making bait at Cedros

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Jun 21, 2014.

1. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Geesh, I fish 14 and 15 day trips. I would rather spend every night making bait, than being home wishing I was there.

2. SemperFishing

SemperFishing Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
    Well, the RRIII's facebook page showed them catching limits of quality dorados and a bunch of wahoo. I guess making bait at Cedros was worth it, (but I personally never had any doubt).

Gotta go fishing on the red cock III again soon....hey, I can say such things now, DADT got repealed. :jig:

jer dog likes this.
  3. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    I see it like this, no bait no fish, If every one helps making bait it goes kind of quick. Still better than sitting at home. It cant be perfect all the time so make the best of it and enjoy.

4. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Well we all know you don't use much bait John, I'm sure you catch more than your fair share and use jigs all day long. WTG

5. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Pretty much.

TBH I pitch in 'cause it's fun to dork out and I *might* use one if I get worn out after 5 days casting poppers and jigging like a fool. I sure as hell am not too proud to use bait if it's all that is working.

Last time I made macks and got 20 or so myself I never used a one. :)

matta57 likes this.
  6. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I'm one of the twisted people that enjoys making bait. Fishing is fishing and you see some of best things when you're doing it. Pass the butter knife please

matta57 and johndtuttle like this.
  7. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Yup! I agree 100%. It's a fun part of the experience. Your loopy from fishing all day and there is a special kind of comraderie going on. It also gives you a chance to fish with a bait not normally found on 1-3 day boats....like Spanish Mackeral.....which adds to the LR experience. Plus all kinds of tripy creatures come cruising through the lights.

john e., Fishybuzz and johndtuttle like this.
  8. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    On some trips making bait might be the only bite you have that day. I've seen people who were skunked all day light up while catching bait. Kind of having something take your bait/lure makes you smile. :)

9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    J.AkuHed likes this.
  10. Crash

Crash Member

Name:
    Robert Young
    Boat:
    20' Skippy
    That's crazzy shit right there... love old school stories

11. el_jefe_chingon

el_jefe_chingon Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Any party boat thats going out that day.
    I am that guy. I enjoy making bait. Its just fun pulling stuff out of the water. My only problem is I am a sound sleeper. Nothing will wake me up. My first long range trip 10 years ago the captain said he would be waking everyone up to make bait at one point. I told my friend to make sure he woke me up because the loud speaker wouldn't do anything for me. Next thing you know I am getting a personal wake up call in my room by the Captain, and he does not appear happy. I stumble on the deck to see my friend busy making bait. When I ask him WTF? he just shrugs and says "I heard the wake up call and went outside. Thought you were right behind me." Thankfully, he was able to help me out the second time around, but I still have images of the Captain backlit by the hallway light yelling at me to get up and make bait.

Gerry

matta57 likes this.
  12. Fishnut

Fishnut Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Gut Barge

13. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    what hook size sabikis should I get got a few but sounds like more would be a good idea

14. Fishnut

Fishnut Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Gut Barge
    Kev, I'm not busting your balls on your post.This is some additional thoughts to think about. Buck & his crew work many long hours maintaining the receivers,boxes,nets,net drums,pumps,net skiffs,electroinics,3bait boats,spotter plane,gov. fees & lic. fees,not to mention fuel & for all of the above. Then there is $'s for capt & crews,barge guys,office staff,book keeper,etc.If there was lot of money to be made business people would have given Buck a run for his money. Several years back a guy made a run @ run @ small boat fleet & if I remember right he lasted less than a year. Yea Buck has advantages of being in business along time ( grandfather clauses) The last time the anchovie cycle happened my friends & myself spent hours making bait. In some cases on some bites if you dont have the candy (squid) your SOL .In Mexico most trips are started making bait or buying bait, at 2 to 3 $ for cab's or mack a piece.
    I was on the trip with Andy and the great crew of the RRIII on the Salty Dawg trip. We left Point LOma from the bait barge after making 3 pieces of Macks and loading the tanks with a ton of chovey chum.Then we spent 3 to 4 hrs at Point Loma making spanish and greenies.It took me 3 beers between stops making bait and I enjoyed making new friends and enjoying old ones. Then we rode down the line... we had our Ammo for our first day off shore. Either the full moon or the boat pressure made it a hard catching day, but a great day none the less.We went to Cedros after that and enjoyed beautiful scenery, beverages, friends, and competition to make Macks and whatever would last in the tank to make our trip.It was slow but steady... Andy made the call to have some locals help us with some bait making but it did not work out with a heavy investment on his and Linda's part. We went down south to the upper lower banks and KIcked ass on our fruits of all of our labor, very satisfying and did not diminish our experience. We all need to thank the stars that we have a bait operation that will get us the bait that's "AVAILABLE" to make our fishing trips easier. When Buck gets older and retires we will shit our pants and say what happened to the old days, when we had bait all the time. Bill

15. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    I know this is going to get some flack, but I don't give a shit, here's my opinion: When paying for a LR trip, the cost of the trip includes bait. If we are buying shitty bait that either hasn't been cured and rolls, or are getting 3" anchovies that can't be fished on 40#+, why not reduce the cost of the trip a bit, only buy 1/4 of the bait normally bought, and then go make sardines on the way down. I feel there is a difference between making specialty baits (macks, cabs, squid, man baits, etc) vs making sardines. Why buy a shitload of bait that we can't even use?

Tar Pit, hagridfish and Yungjizzle909 like this.
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The bait company has a contract with your charter. If memory serves it is 15% of the cost of your trip. Unfortunately there is not a option. What they have will be used in one way or another. We had it good for so long but it was not always this way.

17. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    I guess just deal with it then haha. Nothing we can do.

18. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    What's with this thread, like others above have said the bait this year is weak and if you want
    the best success we have to hunt our own live bait. Like Gary I too
    made bait off the Pacific Dawn on an overnighter. They busted us out of the sack about 1 am we
    went to work and in about an hour we had the tanks stuffed with nice squid. Back in the sack by
    2 am and up at 4am limits of WSB by 6 am. . It's just part of the adventure guys, we do what has
    to be done to improve our success and are happy to do it.
    This year may not be ideal but just think of the great stories
    we will have to tell our grand kids.

Walt

19. bluewaterbum

bluewaterbum Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    What's the big deal about making bait, even in the 80's we got up to make squid when fishing out of Long Beach on overnight trips....

20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Cured bait, when available sells for $135/3 scoop minmum. How many scoops do you think they use just for chum on an average stop? Would you ask Everingham Brothers to park half of their boats for 25-30 years and lay off half the crew until Sardines become available again? Buy a Sabiki and smile.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Yolo likes this.