AquaHunter

Hardcore Deaf Fisherman
Jul 3, 2007
San Diego soon to be in Texas
Name
Ray Ayus Jr
Boat
20’ Grady White Overnighter
I'm thinking of going on this trip sponsored by Charkbait for a 8 day trip. It's my first time going on this trip beside many 1.5-3 days trips. I'm wondering how this work with fuel surcharges, fish processing, tips to crews, bunk preferences, advices, sabiki rigs, and anything I should be expecting/need to know. Since I'm deaf and the seminars might not work well with me due to communication issues, I would like to know from you veterans. What should I be expecting on this trip? Any one of you going?

Freshone21

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 4, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Tom
Boat
Ranger Z521
Hey Ray

(Fuel surcharges) - Each boat usually has their own policy and fuel surcharges obviously change with the fluctuation of gas prices. For example on my 15 day there was a 15$ fuel surcharge just this pass January. "275"$

(Fish Processing) - Mario's, Fishermans processing, Five Star are the usual go to processors. Each one is unique in their own way and Each BD'er has their own personal preference. I would visit their websites and find what fits you best. Each offer portion size, smoked, jerky, shipping.. for fixed pricing.

(What to expect) -This is an interesting time..You could be gunning for the lower banks fishing big cows, stones for 100lb yft and yellows. Fishing the ridge for wahoo.. Or hell all of the above.

(Tips) - This subject has been beat to death and im sure you could find an old thread on it. The saying is 15% of trip cost. More or less is up to you.

(What to Expect) - Sun,Laughs,New Friends,Experience. And if your lucky a couple of fish!

good luck.

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Ray,

Excellent summary from Freshone21 on you questions. If you've done up to 3 day trips and enjoyed them, you're ready. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much better an 8-day can be. As far as your hearing limitation - don't let that stop you. I've been on two Fall 10-day trips with an excellent fisherman who also happened to be deaf and there were ZERO issues. The crew will help you though the seminar - I'd be surprised if they didn't offer to go through everything one-on-one with you.

If your interested, communicate with the boat office and let them know your concerns. Plenty of advice here with you questions or search for the topic for previous postings on specifics.

I've done quite a few of these 8-10 day Fall trips - my favorite because the variety and you have so much time to find fish. My experience with other anglers on these trips has been simply outstanding. An awful lot of experienced guys and gals who enjoy the fishing and enjoy seeing other people catch fish.

Get the trip booked - you won't regret it!

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
Did a trip on the Rooster last year and there was one deaf person on board and he did very well for himself. The crew looked after him and he caught a lot of fish. Don't let that question hold you back. Go and have fun!

AquaHunter

Hardcore Deaf Fisherman
Jul 3, 2007
Name
Ray Ayus Jr
Boat
Did a trip on the Rooster last year and there was one deaf person on board and he did very well for himself. The crew looked after him and he caught a lot of fish. Don't let that question hold you back. Go and have fun!
What was his name?

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Ray I believe you will have a great time, deaf or not. The crew will be their to assist as long as your ready to learn. The unfortunate thing about Long Range fishing is that it is expensive, but it's worth every penny regardless of the catching. Captain Ande Cates will treat you no different than any other angler aboard, you all will recieve special hands on guidance to make your trip a success. I wish I was going with you, pull the triger and enjoy the ride!

fishnfool73

Aug 20, 2006
ft. lauderdale, fl.
Name
chris adams
Boat
none
I did this trip IN 2010 and had a great time. A nice gift bag of freebies from Charkbait and overall a great time. We did lots of yellowtails so bring some irons. Lots of smallet yft I got a bunch using a popper biggest one was around 55 lbs for me and lost a bigger one after an hour fight. We had one day to try for cows and got 5 over 200 lbs .

AquaHunter

Hardcore Deaf Fisherman
Jul 3, 2007
Name
Ray Ayus Jr
Boat
I did this trip IN 2010 and had a great time. A nice gift bag of freebies from Charkbait and overall a great time. We did lots of yellowtails so bring some irons. Lots of smallet yft I got a bunch using a popper biggest one was around 55 lbs for me and lost a bigger one after an hour fight. We had one day to try for cows and got 5 over 200 lbs .
Sweet! I have never caught YFT in the West Coast and really looking forward to it. I'll be happy with 50-120 lbers along with assorted of YT and Mahi. My biggest goals is YFT and wahoo for this trip.

kml

Oct 29, 2008
Vista
Name
Kyle
Boat
66 MUSTANG
I'd recommend the RRIII, I rode them last summer & tagged this

The Capt & crew were GREAT, its awesome to see guys who are out there everyday fishing w/ so much passion for the sport. We were fishing 20-30 Lb yellows @ cedros, & capt Andy was like a kid in the candy store fishing for them too.

"everybody that wants one has got one & even those who dont do too" was his quote

Food is good & plenty of it, lots of room on the boat esp w/ a limit of 28. The 8 days will fly by & you'll wish you had a couple more days to fish.......

I took my uncle who had never been on a long range trip, he had a great time & cannot wait to go again.

Call them soon & book that spot cause by the end of the fred hall show it will be full..........

AquaHunter

Hardcore Deaf Fisherman
Jul 3, 2007
Name
Ray Ayus Jr
Boat
I just put in the reservation spot, actually my gf is paying for this trip for our 9 years anniversary, I think she's giving me hints that she really want to have a cruise with just the two of us.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
My brother and I are already signed up for the RR III trip. We have been doing a 7 or 8 day late Oct trip for the last 2 years and the fishing has been excellent. Good variety of fish including yellowfin, wahoo, yellowtail, dorado, and grouper. You can get by with a good 30 lb and 40 lb bait outfit and a 60 or 80 lb. outfit for drooper loop. Add an 8' rod for jigs and wahoo bombs and you should be OK. Use the boats trolling outfit if you don't have one. I'm like most guys on these trips and I bring a lot of extra gear. If someone needs a jig, wahoo bomb, fluro leader etc. I am happy to share what I have. Most guys are the same way. If you need info about tackle just send me a PM and I will try to give you some ideas as to what you should bring based on my experience.

I don't think that a hearing problem would be an issue at all. My hearing is very poor and people usually have to repeat something 2 or 3 times before I figure out what they are saying. I'm sure that the crew and passengers will do whatever is necessary for you to have a successful trip.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I had been on a few Spring 8 day trips, but in '04 I and a friend fished this trip, my first Fall trip. Alijos was stone cold so we didn't go there. After a stop for some footballs on the Ridge, Andy just kept going south. He took us all the way to the Potato Bank to score some better grade Tuna. It was scratchy and not everybody caught one. At the end of the fishing, the crew made an eleventh hour save, spotting a pod of mammals and a school of solid 40 lbers with them. We put the wood to them and finished it off in style. Don't quit until the fat lady sings, seems like they'll always find a way to pull a rabbit out of the hat. While we were fishing the lower zone, I decided to fish the dropper loop for a while, just to see what was down there. I don't use this method very often, but I'm glad I did as I managed a 51 lb Broomtail Grouper.

Have always had good times on the Rooster, short or long trips. It was in '99 that I fished my first ever five day on this boat. With a Grand Slam tuna trip, my first (and so far only) Bigeye, I was stoked on this type of fishing and hooked like a cow on a 20/0 Mustad Circle Hook!

Attachments

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Ur gonna have a good time!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I can't sleep because I'm super stoked for the trip tomorrow
Ray, great running into you at Charkbait last week. Things are dramatically changed now that the bigger fish have started to show up on the Lower Banks. Do you have some heavy gear? Definitely want to have a 100 lb and 130 lb outfit for this trip. Joe D took them down there a couple of years ago and they got a few Cows. What a deal that would be, Giant Yellowfin on an 8 day.