Red Rooster 8 day quick report

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Just got home from the McVey 8 day on the Red Rooster. Burned rubber straight to the Rocks. Made great time and we started fishing 8 am on day 2. Trollers were bit almost immediately and we had our first couple wahoo. Steady action all morning on the troll, bombs, and jigs. Ended up with 44 by noon. Picked away at mixed grade yellowtail till dinner and then moved to the bank to make bait and when we got that done it was game on! Pin on a mackerel, send it to the bottom and it was instant 30 to 40 lb yellowtail. That went on well into the morning before we moved back to the Rocks for more hoo action. To our surprise it was even better than day one! Ended up with 45 more! More incredible night bite for huge yellows and then picked up 3 more hoos before departing for the bluefin. Total was 96 wahoo which includes 5 crew fish and the average was close to 40 lbs! Pretty incredible for July! Stopped for a few hours on the way up and picked up a couple dozen more yellowtail, 12 to 25 lbs, on fly line and surface iron. Arrived late afternoon day 7 on the local tuna and managed one nice 80 lb bluefin before dark. Looked around and tried quite a few schools before we got them to bite. Andy said drop em down to 200 ft and for those still awake it paid off. 5 big bluefin were hooked and we managed to land 3 over 100 lbs, biggest 144. Day 8 was spent fishing mostly non biting bluefin out at San Clemente island. We ended up with 20 or so of these mostly 25 lb fish. Pretty frustrating, but that's bluefin. 25 and 30 lb fly line got all the action. Andy and Crew were awesome as always, very helpful! Mike knocked it out of the park with every meal! Hands down the best trip I've been part of! Get some!

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    We fired up the 3rd well for the first time in years, to say they bit is an understatement. The offload this mornkng reminded me of the 15 day trips when I first started in the industry.
    Watched the reports from the boat and kept looking at my calendar. 8/1 can’t get here quick enough. Hope it keeps biting

Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Great trip!!, do you know what size Sabiki's you guy's were using?...stocking up for an 8 day

Screenshot_20210725-065850.png

Upvote 0

mjm2

• Jun 24, 2021
    Miami
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    32 Contender
    Great report. Coming from the East coast I am worried about bringing the wrong sabikis. Does this type work or do you need the ones with the squid shapes on them? Anything with a size 14 hook will do? I was looking to save a few bucks with non branded cheepo versions since they get tangled up. How many did you bring for the eight day and how many baits did you catch/use? We throw cast nets here if we need a decent amount of baits or Sabikis if they are bigger or won’t ball up on the surface. Thanks.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Used like 3 and we removed 2 of the 4 hooks to reduce tangles. Macks were pretty good size, some up to 3 lbs. Made bait for 2 nights caught a ton, #'s not sure?

Reactions: mjm2
    Upvote 0