Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Just got back from fishing the Rooster with charter master Larry Brown. Once we loaded the boat they had already got gas and bait onboard. We steamed our way south for customs check in at Ensenada. After we departed we made a bee line to the Island. We arrived around 9AM and started looking around. It took about an hour before we found the fish and it was game on. This year the Yellowfin are BIG. From 70-135 tuna started hitting the deck. My first fish went 128 and after a short rest and checking my top shot I tossed a bait out and BAM.... HOOKUP... this one I hand off to passenger and it went 98 pounds. My first day I landed 3 myself and handed off 6 tuna. After the sun went down and we had a great dinner that Chef Mike cooked up for us it was time to make bait. The bait was in full biting mode and it didn't take long to get it done. Time for some much needed sleep in flat calm water I wake up around 3AM and make a few dozen more bait and before I know it its breakfast. I go in at last call... you see I am hooked up to a big yellowtail in the high 30's that puts up a great fight. Its now time for Chef Mike's delicious breakfast of 2 eggs and bacon with toast and some yogurt and some juice. I always enjoy Mike's meals each and every time. Ok it's time to pick out a bait... shoulder hook him and cast him into the zone. OK with no surprise the great whites show up and start taxing big time. I take a break and watch them swimming around and eating tuna. Its part of fishing the Lupe this time of year... you deal with it and pray they back off at some point and they did after a couple of hours. Its time to go back to work on tuna fishing..... I toss out my 60 LB Fluro leader with a 2/0 hook and its gobbled up as soon as it hits the water. I ask around if anyone has not landed a tuna this trip and these one guy that had 5 tuna taxes... I hand him off the fish and he is rewarded with a nice mid 80's yellowfin... he's excited and has a deckhand pin him on a good bait and he is on within seconds and with no sharks around gets himself a nice 100 LB class tuna. After fishing the Lupe for a couple of days we look for yellowtail and leave the Island. The next morning we are in the zone at grey light and the yellowtail are ready to play. Now these yellowtail were anywhere from 15-35 LBS... the smaller ones were released back into the ocean but everyone loaded up on the bigger grade yellows. They were biting fly line 30-40 LB line or a 6x yo yo jig... about anything really worked... for these yellows. After playing with those hard fighting yellows and sore arms on the boat we had a few hours to kill so we ended up the trip fishing rockfish.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
What worked at the Lupe = 60 LB fluro leader with a 2/0 hook worked best.... some were fishing 80 Fluro and that also did the trick... If your going to the Lupe I would have 60 and 80 Fluro... tie that on with about a 3-4 foot topshot making sure when you cast the knot we not stop your bait.. if so get with a deckhand.... the crew is there to help and want you to catch fish. You must have a good cast so bring a rod that will do the trick.. I was using a 40-80 UC rod with a talica 16 and did very good with that set up. I want to thank the charter master and crew for a great week of fishing.
1629554976442.png
1629555017680.png

1629555050020.png

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    SODA....with only a few trips to the LUPE.... its good to hear that the bigger fish are biting. As for the "LANDLORD"....lol... you ways have to pay at the LUPE. Skinnies? I know its not the time yet.... who knows. Anyways... glad you had a good time... good food.... helped a few others... and got some good fish. Sounds like heaven to me. Be safe.... thanks for posting and the picts!

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Soda, always look forward to your reports. Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the useful information. My favorite boat and crew! 10 days and counting, Larry Brown 5 day. You guys are fishing machines!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Just got back from fishing the Rooster with charter master Larry Brown. Once we loaded the boat they had already got gas and bait onboard. We steamed our way south for customs check in at Ensenada. After we departed we made a bee line to the Island. We arrived around 9AM and started looking around. It took about an hour before we found the fish and it was game on. This year the Yellowfin are BIG. From 70-135 tuna started hitting the deck. My first fish went 128 and after a short rest and checking my top shot I tossed a bait out and BAM.... HOOKUP... this one I hand off to passenger and it went 98 pounds. My first day I landed 3 myself and handed off 6 tuna. After the sun went down and we had a great dinner that Chef Mike cooked up for us it was time to make bait. The bait was in full biting mode and it didn't take long to get it done. Time for some much needed sleep in flat calm water I wake up around 3AM and make a few dozen more bait and before I know it its breakfast. I go in at last call... you see I am hooked up to a big yellowtail in the high 30's that puts up a great fight. Its now time for Chef Mike's delicious breakfast of 2 eggs and bacon with toast and some yogurt and some juice. I always enjoy Mike's meals each and every time. Ok it's time to pick out a bait... shoulder hook him and cast him into the zone. OK with no surprise the great whites show up and start taxing big time. I take a break and watch them swimming around and eating tuna. Its part of fishing the Lupe this time of year... you deal with it and pray they back off at some point and they did after a couple of hours. Its time to go back to work on tuna fishing..... I toss out my 60 LB Fluro leader with a 2/0 hook and its gobbled up as soon as it hits the water. I ask around if anyone has not landed a tuna this trip and these one guy that had 5 tuna taxes... I hand him off the fish and he is rewarded with a nice mid 80's yellowfin... he's excited and has a deckhand pin him on a good bait and he is on within seconds and with no sharks around gets himself a nice 100 LB class tuna. After fishing the Lupe for a couple of days we look for yellowtail and leave the Island. The next morning we are in the zone at grey light and the yellowtail are ready to play. Now these yellowtail were anywhere from 15-35 LBS... the smaller ones were released back into the ocean but everyone loaded up on the bigger grade yellows. They were biting fly line 30-40 LB line or a 6x yo yo jig... about anything really worked... for these yellows. After playing with those hard fighting yellows and sore arms on the boat we had a few hours to kill so we ended up the trip fishing rockfish.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    What worked at the Lupe = 60 LB fluro leader with a 2/0 hook worked best.... some were fishing 80 Fluro and that also did the trick... If your going to the Lupe I would have 60 and 80 Fluro... tie that on with about a 3-4 foot topshot making sure when you cast the knot we not stop your bait.. if so get with a deckhand.... the crew is there to help and want you to catch fish. You must have a good cast so bring a rod that will do the trick.. I was using a 40-80 UC rod with a talica 16 and did very good with that set up. I want to thank the charter master and crew for a great week of fishing.
    View attachment 1311154View attachment 1311155
    View attachment 1311156
    I sure hope they are not running the Rooster on GAS.
    Sound like a great trip, I have fished the 'Lupe on the Rooster once many years back, however I fished it many time on the Bright and Morning Star, thought the tax man did not get there 'till later in the year.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Dude! You killed it, thanks for taking us along.

Upvote 0

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
    Name
    Boomer
    Boat
    Any one that floats.

View attachment 1311154View attachment 1311155
    View attachment 1311156
    Always a pleasure fishing with you, Soda!!!

Upvote 0

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
    Jul 31, 2007
    Vista, CA
    Name
    CK
    Boat
    Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Yours with an invite
    Excellent! Going to fish the island Monday. Thank you for posting what was working for you, it goes a long way towards prepping for the trip.
    Those guys on the Rooster are a blast to fish with and work their tails off for their customers. Cheers to a great trip report!

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    I'm getting out on the RR3 end of next month. Looking forward to it. I like the idea of watching more and fishing a little less if the shark IRS shows up heavy. I fed them too much last time out there. Thanks so much for the excellent report...

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Your resume and current knowledge of what’s happening in real time with tackle and such is gold The fact you hook and hand to the less fortunate to get them a lifetime memory puts you in the upper tier of what we do, you are a sportsman at sport fishing 👋👋👋

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    I know everyone has already told you this but I really enjoyed the play by play-I feel like I got up this morning,went to ‘lupe caught fish and I’m already back home.Thanks
    Watch for more reports to come. Doing a 10 day then 2 11 days and a couple of 16 days. Thanks brother

Upvote 0