Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
View attachment 853577
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6747.JPG
Just back from a Bluefin Jim 5-day on the RR-3. Short report as I need to clean up.

Day 1 (travel day) we traveled south.

Day 2 we travel south and start to find kelps for nothing. Late in the day we start to get small YFT #6-#8 all went back. We take a look at a small kelp full of yellowtail #18-#30. One stop shopping and after 2 hours of wide open fishing we had limits. It's now dark and Andy move 40 miles south and offshore looking for YFT in the AM.

Day 3 sun up and it's wide open YFT #8-#12 everything that hits the water gets bit. 90% of these fish are dumped back and then the bigger fish pop up #15-#20. Limits of yellowfin tagged and 200+ thrown back. Late in the day Andy finds a kelp full of dorado #12-#18 and again it's wide open for a hour. We land 1 fish out of every 5 hook ups. Limits of dorado.

Day 4 we fish offshore and work our way north. 18 bluefin #15-#20 and 38 more nice yellowtail with the jackpot yellowtail being landed on a 50+ year old rod and reel. We make bait that night as the SD bait we stated with was very poor.

Day 5 We start fishing next to the Vagabond and the Shogun in the AM but things were slow so we head offshore and working our way north. We again find kelps full of dorado but many of us are so tired we just can't move and a lot of fish were lost. We end up with 30 nice dorado #12-#20 and lost maybe 50.

The only real tip I can give in the BFT would only bite the #20-#25 line with a small hook and a long way back. I don't have many photos and it was crazy and the crew dropped the fish in to the RSW tank quick. The food was great and Andy never stops looking for fish.

IMG_6772.JPG

Last edited:

bdubs73

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Wow that sounds amazing, You guys really did well! I am on the Aug. 5th 5 day so this is great news:) we are theorectically scheduled for Guadalupe but I am curious to see if that changes now that offshore is doing so well. I hate hearing about all those Dorado getting away!!!!

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
" Andy never stops looking for fish."

I totally agree with that. I've been on trips with him where all the fishermen have given up but he's up on the bridge with his binoculars working hard. His never quit attitude got me a 110# bluefin one trip about 6 PM.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Tar Pit

Thanks for the update. Andy and the crew always work hard. Leaving Monday and I hope they stick around.

Reactions: bdubs73

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Great fishing with you again Charlie. Hope to see you soon for dinner at Brian's or Dee's.

Reactions: Tar Pit

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
For you guys going out on the RR3 they have changed their jackpot procedure. The larger fish are weighed on board before being put in the RSW hold. We had a few issues on our trip.

1. Make sure your happy with the weight. The boat is moving and a ounce or two could make a difference in the jackpot.
2. Check that the correct weight is on the board and the correct tag number is with the weight. We also had a fish that was weighed never put on the board. This became a problem when we were unloading the fish and the skipper found out that the angler with the second or third place fish never payed into the jackpot. (Something the angler should have said when his name was called out in the galley) So the forth place fish gets bumped up to third and the fish that was never marked on the board was around the same size. The third place fish was already with the processor and the third place angler already gave the $100 back to the crew.

The board is also in the hall way and some jerk could change things.
This is why I don't get into the jackpot anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olddog8

bdubs73

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Thats definitely new I have never had a problem with their old system, I wonder why they changed it..

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
They changed the jackpot system because they are now gutting fish before they go into rsw so they need to weigh them first. This has improved the meat quality considerably. If you care about the jackpot be sure to look at your weight and write it down. And good luck!!

Last edited:

Artois

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
You say you don't get into the jackpot, but your're complaining about the system??? I LOVE the RR3 and the crew. They work hard all day to do the best job they can. no system is perfect. Weighing at the dock is also subjective because not all fish are weighed. Always a chance for a larger fish to be missed.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I stopped signing up for the jackpot a couple of decades ago. Best of luck to all of you who do that, but I realized that I was paying way too much attention to how other people were fishing instead of having fun doing it the way that I felt like. I set aside money for a good tip before I get onto the boat and don't need any jackpot winnings to feel like it was a good trip.

I've seen too many weird things that people do when even small money is on the line. It doesn't surprise me that several fine sportfishing boats have completely dropped having a boat-run jackpot.

Reactions: Olddog8 and Juanba

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
You say you don't get into the jackpot, but your're complaining about the system??? I LOVE the RR3 and the crew. They work hard all day to do the best job they can. no system is perfect. Weighing at the dock is also subjective because not all fish are weighed. Always a chance for a larger fish to be missed.
I'll suggest you not shoot the messenger here. TarPit addressed it to "all you guys going out..." If you catch a jackpot contender, it's really your responsibility to see that it gets weighed. If on the boat, be sure the weight gets written down correctly.

And as far as weighing whole fish at the top of the dock, it's anything but subjective, rather it's definitive. Again, angler's responsibility to get his fish to the scale for the weigh in. This is usually for smaller, school size tuna as well as Yellowtail and other species that don't get gilled and gutted.

I'm very happy with the work ethic of both captains and crews of the American Angler and the Red Rooster III. And I'm appreciative that we're getting our fish gilled and gutted on the boat before they're immersed in the RSW tanks/holds. The quality of the meat is superb.

Sam Patella has this to say about the jackpot. First of all, it's only $25 as they like to keep it friendly. This isn't life changing money, and you're not going to put your kids through college with your winnings. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame at the top of the dock and get your picture posted on the Internet.

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I'm not complaining about it I'm just giving people a heads up. We had the kill box overflowing with yellowtail 4 or 5 times in a 2+ hour wide open bite. The crew was trying to weigh and recored the bigger fish, keep bait in the hand wells, gaff fish, tag fish and move fish in the RSW hold all at the same time. One deckhand was trying to weigh and remember tag numbers of 4 or 5 fish then help clear the deck and then go inside 15 minute later and record it all on the board.

Andy told us this helps the turn around for the next trip as he's not weighting 15 fish at the landing and taking photos.

ssrmr2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2006
Cypress
Name
STEVE
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
Is Andy still saying zamphear master of the pan flute??

Who ever is going next tell him steve h aka chinto says hi.

Thanks

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Is Andy still saying zamphear master of the pan flute??
You mean Zamfir...

I have seen some really shady stuff on other boats, mainly 1/2 day or some long range that jack up the buy in. The Rooster has a $20.00 buy in on trips up to 5 days and $30.00 over. Pretty reasonable... On top of that on trips 10 plus days you get a Calstar blank for 1st, 4 lbs. Izorline for 2nd and a RR3 t-shirt for 3rd. Plus there is a RR3 trolling jackpot, with a jacket for the prize. (No buy in for trolling)

The Rooster counts the kite fish in the jackpot, some boats do not. Could not be a more equal gamble. Love to win that Calstar blank...

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K

dishdoc

Oct 16, 2007
San Jose
Name
Gordon
Boat
waverunner
They changed the jackpot system because they are now gutting fish before they go into rsw so they need to weigh them first. This has improved the meat quality considerably. If you care about the jackpot be sure to look at your weight and write it down. And good luck!!
How do the processors feel about this?

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
I, for one, think this is a great change on the Rooster. Last trip (before weighing on the boat), I had a 195 at the dock - after they flushed it, after they bled it, after it sat in RSW for 5 days. I'm almost certain it would have been a cow on the boat. How many of you have had 198's and 199's in the same circumstance? This also makes the pictures easier to take, and I've got to believe that guttiing/bleeding the fish before RSW is good for the meat.

It could make the jackpot a little more of a gamble due to the dynamic conditions OTW, but to me the tradeoff is well worth it.

At $.85/lb, I'm not worrying about the processors...

Reactions: bdubs73