Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Just got back yesterday from a 5 day fishing trip on the Red Rooster. First off I want to thank the Crew. There was no missing link to this crew. From Captain Ethan to the deckhands and Mike in the galley ( Mike had a birthday cake made for me.. a huge THANK YOU MIKE ) my birthday was the day before... and a huge thanks for a fun filled trip. I booked this trip a few days before it departed. The plan was we were going to Guadalupe Island where the fishing was off the hook. Well that fell apart when things changed after I payed the extra $$$$ to fish the lupe. There were a few boats already down at the lupe and the Indy came in with a huge catch on the bluefin so the plan's were change and that we needed Ca. fishing licenses and we would be fishing Bluefin and Yellowtail. I watched as the Indy unloaded a huge catch of Bluefin. I really don't care where we fish. I have my health and will be hanging out with friends so not going to the lupe didn't bother me. So we head over to the bait receivers and get a good load of bait. Captain comes down and said will be fishing in about 7 hours. A mad scramble is in full swing and everyone is putting there rods and reels on and trying a short top shot of fluro in the 30 and 40 pound class with a small hook.. about a size 2... Then out come the flat falls..... Knife jigs and a bunch of there types of jigs.... never knew there were so many jigs.... and they were tying them to there 80-100 pound outfits for the night bite. We arrive on the Bluefin grounds and pic off a few small 20-40 pounders and see lots of breezing Bluefin that didn't want to bite.... typical Bluefin. Night time comes around and out comes the big gear and the kitchen sink of jigs. Right away a few Bluefin get hooked and only a couple hit the deck.... a few pulled hooks and heartbreaks for a few anglers. After the sun came up there were a handful of Bluefin hit the deck.... I pulled a hook on mine... its Bluefin fishing and you need a small hook or they won't bite. Around 10 or so Captain Ethan says we are making a move to fish yellowtail. A couple hour ride and were fishing hungry biting Yellows. Everyone on board has a few Yellowtail and people start high fiving and the deck of the Rooster is filled with some nice size Yellows going 18-30+ pounds. I caught and handed off a few myself using a 6X junior blue and white jig. Almost every drop a hungry yellow slurped up my jig. Fly lining a bait with a 1/0 hook worked just as good. On the jig I had 50 pound with a UC 50-80 rod. Fly lining I went with 30 LB. and was rocked a few times but it was fun so I didn't go with my 40.... there were so many yellows it was game on. After everyone pulled on a few Yellows we headed back to the Bluefin grounds. Right away people were hooking 40-50 pound Bluefin on light gear..30 LB with fluro and a small size 2 hook. This time the Bluefin wanted to play and as fast as it started it ended just as fast... We were on the hunt and found another school with locked jaws. Its after dinner now and out comes the big gear and BIG Bluefin are hitting the deck... Not a wide open bite but a steady pick on a few over the 100 LB mark. Chef Mike came out droped a 400 Gram knife jig and landed a 145 Bluefin went back inside cleaned up and went to bed. ( Congrats Mike ) it was his biggest Bluefin that hit the deck for Mike. After a few shots in the morning we head back over to the yellowtail grounds... guess what... NO YELLOWS... we look around at some spots and finally we found the hungry yellows. Its game on and everyone gets there fare share of yellows hitting surface irons - yo-yo jigs.. fly lined bait dropper loop... they were slopping up every offer.... and these are nothing smaller than 20 and going upwards of 35 LBS. Amazing fishing. After a few hours of playing with the yellows its time to drive about an hour to fish these Bluefin once again. A few more are hitting the deck.... its a really slow pick but if you put in rail time you had a good shot at a 40-80 LB Bluefin. All and all everyone had a great time and once again I met some new faces and loved sharing the rail with everyone. Last thing that I wanted to say.. that put the icing on the cake was a gentleman on the trip that made this trip special... see he was blind and doing what he loves to do... fish... I watched him set up his gear... tie a hook and was a better caster than many... amazing kind hearted guy.... I handed him off a fish and he was enjoying the moment ( A smile a mile long across his face ) He also hooked and landed many by himself. His bait presentation was as good as it gets. He lost his eyesight in his 20's but talking to him it never slowed him down in life. Just a fun guy to fish with... I hope to share the rail with him some day again. So to end this write up.. not going to the Lupe didn't bother anyone and fishing close to home gave us a lot more time to fish. Thank you Charter Master Dale Hightower for all the swag and putting this trip together. It was tons of fun.

1628521344449.png

1628521368465.png

1628521388794.png

1628521407667.png

1628521433483.png

1628521451661.png

1628521469441.png

1628521491480.png

Last edited:

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Great report as always! Hope to get to the Lupe in a couple weeks, but it's nice to see those nice local YT in case we don't.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thanks SODA..... always a great write up and nice photos. One day you and I will share the rail brother.... I look forward to that day.... to meet the "infamous " SODA POP" . Be safe brother....until your next adventure.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Thanks SODA..... always a great write up and nice photos. One day you and I will share the rail brother.... I look forward to that day.... to meet the "infamous " SODA POP" . Be safe brother....until your next adventure.
    Leaving Sat. on the Rooster.. fishing the lupe. I don't even need to unpack... well a bit of cloths to wash and I am ready to roll. Hope we can share the rail sometime soon. Take care brother.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Just got back yesterday from a 5 day fishing trip on the Red Rooster. First off I want to thank the Crew. There was no missing link to this crew. From Captain Ethan to the deckhands and Mike in the galley ( Mike had a birthday cake made for me.. a huge THANK YOU MIKE ) my birthday was the day before... and a huge thanks for a fun filled trip. I booked this trip a few days before it departed. The plan was we were going to Guadalupe Island where the fishing was off the hook. Well that fell apart when things changed after I payed the extra $$$$ to fish the lupe. There were a few boats already down at the lupe and the Indy came in with a huge catch on the bluefin so the plan's were change and that we needed Ca. fishing licenses and we would be fishing Bluefin and Yellowtail. I watched as the Indy unloaded a huge catch of Bluefin. I really don't care where we fish. I have my health and will be hanging out with friends so not going to the lupe didn't bother me. So we head over to the bait receivers and get a good load of bait. Captain comes down and said will be fishing in about 7 hours. A mad scramble is in full swing and everyone is putting there rods and reels on and trying a short top shot of fluro in the 30 and 40 pound class with a small hook.. about a size 2... Then out come the flat falls..... Knife jigs and a bunch of there types of jigs.... never knew there were so many jigs.... and they were tying them to there 80-100 pound outfits for the night bite. We arrive on the Bluefin grounds and pic off a few small 20-40 pounders and see lots of breezing Bluefin that didn't want to bite.... typical Bluefin. Night time comes around and out comes the big gear and the kitchen sink of jigs. Right away a few Bluefin get hooked and only a couple hit the deck.... a few pulled hooks and heartbreaks for a few anglers. After the sun came up there were a handful of Bluefin hit the deck.... I pulled a hook on mine... its Bluefin fishing and you need a small hook or they won't bite. Around 10 or so Captain Ethan says we are making a move to fish yellowtail. A couple hour ride and were fishing hungry biting Yellows. Everyone on board has a few Yellowtail and people start high fiving and the deck of the Rooster is filled with some nice size Yellows going 18-30+ pounds. I caught and handed off a few myself using a 6X junior blue and white jig. Almost every drop a hungry yellow slurped up my jig. Fly lining a bait with a 1/0 hook worked just as good. On the jig I had 50 pound with a UC 50-80 rod. Fly lining I went with 30 LB. and was rocked a few times but it was fun so I didn't go with my 40.... there were so many yellows it was game on. After everyone pulled on a few Yellows we headed back to the Bluefin grounds. Right away people were hooking 40-50 pound Bluefin on light gear..30 LB with fluro and a small size 2 hook. This time the Bluefin wanted to play and as fast as it started it ended just as fast... We were on the hunt and found another school with locked jaws. Its after dinner now and out comes the big gear and BIG Bluefin are hitting the deck... Not a wide open bite but a steady pick on a few over the 100 LB mark. Chef Mike came out droped a 400 Gram knife jig and landed a 145 Bluefin went back inside cleaned up and went to bed. ( Congrats Mike ) it was his biggest Bluefin that hit the deck for Mike. After a few shots in the morning we head back over to the yellowtail grounds... guess what... NO YELLOWS... we look around at some spots and finally we found the hungry yellows. Its game on and everyone gets there fare share of yellows hitting surface irons - yo-yo jigs.. fly lined bait dropper loop... they were slopping up every offer.... and these are nothing smaller than 20 and going upwards of 35 LBS. Amazing fishing. After a few hours of playing with the yellows its time to drive about an hour to fish these Bluefin once again. A few more are hitting the deck.... its a really slow pick but if you put in rail time you had a good shot at a 40-80 LB Bluefin. All and all everyone had a great time and once again I met some new faces and loved sharing the rail with everyone. Last thing that I wanted to say.. that put the icing on the cake was a gentleman on the trip that made this trip special... see he was blind and doing what he loves to do... fish... I watched him set up his gear... tie a hook and was a better caster than many... amazing kind hearted guy.... I handed him off a fish and he was enjoying the moment ( A smile a mile long across his face ) He also hooked and landed many by himself. His bait presentation was as good as it gets. He lost his eyesight in his 20's but talking to him it never slowed him down in life. Just a fun guy to fish with... I hope to share the rail with him some day again. So to end this write up.. not going to the Lupe didn't bother anyone and fishing close to home gave us a lot more time to fish. Thank you Charter Master Dale Hightower for all the swag and putting this trip together. It was tons of fun.

View attachment 1307363
    View attachment 1307364
    View attachment 1307365
    View attachment 1307366
    View attachment 1307367
    View attachment 1307368
    View attachment 1307369
    View attachment 1307370
    Soda I got the scoop from James this morning, he is a neighbor,
    He had fun, that’s what counts.

Upvote 0

js_lind

Almost A Member
    Aug 28, 2006
    Villa Park
    Name
    John
    Boat
    -
    Leaving Sat. on the Rooster.. fishing the lupe. I don't even need to unpack... well a bit of cloths to wash and I am ready to roll. Hope we can share the rail sometime soon. Take care brother.
    Glad you guys had a great trip. Guess I'll see you Saturday. I'm on that trip too.

Upvote 0