Recommended trolling lures for Baja

glacierboat

Sep 5, 2019
anacortes
Name
John Ryan
Boat
Glacier Bay
Planning a sailing trip down to Baja next October and starting to think about gear for offshore trolling while underway from Washington to La Paz. Any thoughts on the 3 to 5 must have lures. Basically we are sailing at 5 to 7 knots. Thank for the advice!

Reactions: jiggermyster

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Rapala X-Raps catch pretty much everything in Baja and are much more reasonably priced than Nomads. Nomads troll at 10 or 12 knots; Rapalas don't troll that fast but do well at your speed. Get a purple and black one. I'd also get a couple cedar plugs.

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
I trolled from Coronado’s to Mag bay 3 weeks ago at 7 to 8 knots cedar plug got bit the most along with tuna feathers till we hit the upper ridge then changed to Nomads and Marlin jigs everything got bit.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
You are trolling from Washington to La Paz! Nice. You will need wire when you get into wahoo territory. 5-7 knots. Pink skirt. Cedar plug. xrap-15 and xrap-40 in the sardine pattern.

Reactions: glacierboat

Shemp

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rick
Boat
Ocean Kayak, Cabo
I've done quite a bit of trolling n Mex from a sailboat. Once you get south of the ridge, the plugs like the x-rap will work, but I have had better luck with a 7-8 inch all white hoochie type jig. Lots of bigger dorado, marlin and even smaller tuna. Wahoo bombs are good for dorado. You will probably be going too slow for wahoo, unless you get lucky. Cedar plugs also good. It's a big ocean down there. Even though we'd all like to think there are gamefish everywhere down there, you need to hit the high spots that attract baitfish. And if you really want to catch fish, don't get lazy. If you see a kelp, or bird hitting the water a few hundred yards off your course, turn off the auto pilot and get over there. Look for current breaks, or anything unusual. Good luck. Post a report or two!

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
We just came down to Cabo from SD in our boat end of September, you will catch all kinds of stuff all good advice, we trolled a line we had a blue marlin 8 stripe marlin several white bonito and lots of dorado, we had no wahoo but the next week we went back up and got a few south of Mag Bay we had plenty that we not on the high spots. a few years ago we didn't catch a damn thing the whole way until we hit the finger bank then we go a 650 blue. Its a crap shoot but a cool trip.

Reactions: glacierboat