Recommendations for SD overnight or 1.5, May 26-30.

PENN

Kaanapali

May 17, 2017
Name
Rich Holdaway
Boat
Robalo 225
Hey guys. Recently sold my boat and moved out of state. I will be arriving in San Diego on May 26 to visit for a few days. Interested in an overnight or 1.5 day trip sometime that week for tuna and YT. Would consider private boat or charter spot too.
I am not familiar with the fleet. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I see openings in these boats that week:

Mission Bell full day to Coronado’s.
Old Glory 1.5
Legend.1.5
Daiwa Pacific 1.5

Thanks!

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Old glory or Pacifica or tribute it easy to go out of Seaforth for 1.5 or the producer or Excalibur for overnight

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    All good boat choices. I've fished them all, mostly mid-week hoping for lighter loads so you'll be booking before the weekend madness. Comes down to how much rail time you really want to put in. Of those listed for 1.5 day, my order would be: OG with Kley & Junior (fish hard and can find fish consistently). The Legend, I like how this boat rides. (been on her 3x last season since Chuck Taft's son, Steve took over. (Good captain, no stopping to kill babies). Daiwa Pacific is a fish killer too but slight chance she might not get off the dock if 9-10 anglers aren't booked midweek. For a full day trip, it's hard to beat Steve Peterson's experience at the Nado's and competence offshore if he chooses to go. Deckhands Karen and Brian on the Belle are a couple of my favorite people. (Small galley, limited storage/seating, no bunks but way fun and a blast to fish her with less than 20 anglers) Now I'll dangle the carrot for you. 😁 IF you can fish the evening of 6-25, then jumping on the Pacific Queen 1.5 is a no brainer. (there's a reason she's usually booked with zero openings during the season) If not, I'd easily do Wed. and/or Thurs. full day trips on the Liberty, big boat that fishes under 40 anglers best. Doesn't matter if Taro or Anibal is driving either. They eke out every minute of fishing opportunity, many times arriving back to the dock late. Deckies Ryan & Taylor are very helpful and offer great customer service, awesome burger served in a spacious galley (Wagyu beef patties), plenty of rod storage, bunks to nap on below and two of the four restrooms are bigger than the ones in my house. If you really wanted to, you could even get crazy and jump on the overnighter Thurs. on the Tomahawk or the Tribute @ Seaforth with Mike Pritchard (or sometimes old salt, Buzz drives). Lots of options right now but book well in advance and tight lines when you go. Can't you tell that I'm totally done with this Covid-19 hangover?!? About time to live LIFE again! 😷 The ultimate cure is multiple fish murdering trips ASAP. Buckle your seatbelts, BD family. Summer of 2021 is going to be bonkers! Go get you some... 🍻🇺🇸🐟

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    fishermen's landing has a full day on the liberty with spots, Seaforth the Pacifica 1.5 has one open spot, H&M old glory has 22 legend has 6, point loma , t-bird wide open

Upvote 0