HavasuSun

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
I posted a similar question in the chit chat section so my apologies to anyone offended by the duplication....

I want to add some older penn internationals to my trolling spread. Right now I am using older 114 Senators. I am leaning towards the 30 size reel to troll for yellow fin, dorado, black fin, and wahoo in San Diego and South Florida. This would be on private boats.
The 30's have been around forever so there are a lot of models out there (for sale on eBay) Is ther one model that is better then the others? Is there any I should avoid? Anything I need to know about the models?

Thanks for your insights!

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
I posted a similar question in the chit chat section so my apologies to anyone offended by the duplication....

I want to add some older penn internationals to my trolling spread. Right now I am using older 114 Senators. I am leaning towards the 30 size reel to troll for yellow fin, dorado, black fin, and wahoo in San Diego and South Florida. This would be on private boats.
The 30's have been around forever so there are a lot of models out there (for sale on eBay) Is ther one model that is better then the others? Is there any I should avoid? Anything I need to know about the models?

Thanks for your insights!
30S are factory 2 spd reels that will work well for your application. The only question is what pound test line and desired drag setting you're looking for?

If the factory drag settings are too light the reel can be sent to Cal Sheets to modifiy.

Reactions: marlyn

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
A 30 that has been tweaked by Cal or Cofe should be good for your application. But I would only buy one that has already been tweaked--if you buy a stock one, then send it to Cal, you'll probably end up spending more money than its worth. JMO.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Could be wrong, but don't the stock 30s's make enough drag, they just free spool like shit, but that shouldn't affect trolling applications, just bait fishing.

Reactions: Olddog8

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I am doing pretty much the same as you are planning. my trolling spread consist on two 16s one 20 two speed and one 12LT, I have not hooked anything I was unable to handle, and that includes a sword fish.
I have 2 30s and a 30 wide, have not found any sue for them the past few years.
Braid, Braid and more Braid make the larger reels obsolete.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I am doing pretty much the same as you are planning. my trolling spread consist on two 16s one 20 two speed and one 12LT, I have not hooked anything I was unable to handle, and that includes a sword fish.
I have 2 30s and a 30 wide, have not found any sue for them the past few years.
Braid, Braid and more Braid make the larger reels obsolete.
The only thing that i have seen that locally would need a 30 or 50 from a private boat was skipping the flyer off a kite. We had it a couple hundred yards+ back easily, our 30 was looking pretty slim on line quick.
Other than that pretty much anything else could be killed with a 4/0 and 80lb braid, medium length topper. Unless it was one of those 500+lb blues a couple seasons back, that is a whole different game.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Have spent some money on mine, planned use was flylining with 100-130 lb Seaguar Premier. Free spool and drag work by Cofe, one turn of the preset is good for 24 lbs of drag and it's easy to turn the handle. Fitted a Tiburon topless frame to it and used it recently on the troll for Wahoo on a 6 day at the end of September. Works really well for that.

We had small Sardines on the recent trip and after trying to cast the smaller bait, racked it up. Spool has too much mass for small baits. And after casting a few baits with a borrowed Makaira 20, that will be the go to on my next trip. I truly believe it's a better reel for this touch style finesse fishing we were doing.

If I decide to sell it, what's an appropriate price? $300?

HavasuSun

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I ended up getting a couple of 30TWs off flebay. One was reworked by Cal. Looking forward to this season!