Hntnhrd

Almost A Member
  • Jul 5, 2016
    Corvallis Montana
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Sold
    I am headed out on a 2.5 day August 16 on the islander. Driving Down from Montana. My wife and 3 year old granddaughter are coming for the trip and are going to stay in SD . They are going visit Sea world and the zoo. Of the 3 hotels around the landing, Ramada ,Comfort Inn and Best Western, what has been everyone’s experience. My wife is a pretty easy keeper😉, but I don’t want to leave them at a place where they are fending off tweekers or homeless bumming outside the hotel ( from some of the online reviews). Thanks in advance for any help.

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Well I think your going to find the “tweezers and homeless” no matter where you stay down there. The better place would be the Best Western or the Holiday Inn

Since you granddaughter is 3, I suggest you look at the Paradise resort and Spa. A bit more $$ but it’s on a island near Sea World and much safer. When I use to bring my family, I’d stay there. Has some nice bungalows.

Not far from the landing.

Reactions: bdubs73 and Almud
    Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    None
    I am headed out on a 2.5 day August 16 on the islander. Driving Down from Montana. My wife and 3 year old granddaughter are coming for the trip and are going to stay in SD . They are going visit Sea world and the zoo. Of the 3 hotels around the landing, Ramada ,Comfort Inn and Best Western, what has been everyone’s experience. My wife is a pretty easy keeper😉, but I don’t want to leave them at a place where they are fending off tweekers or homeless bumming outside the hotel ( from some of the online reviews). Thanks in advance for any help.
    You might check “Dana on the Bay”. Very close to Sea World and adjacent to Mission Bay.

Reactions: NaplesJohn
    Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    Best Western is nice with great rooms (free continental breakfast) but Holiday Inn pool would be a bonus for them. Free appy hour in the bar attached too.

Ramada is fine for a fisherman but family not the greatest option

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Well I think your going to find the “tweezers and homeless” no matter where you stay down there. The better place would be the Best Western or the Holiday Inn

Since you granddaughter is 3, I suggest you look at the Paradise resort and Spa. A bit more $$ but it’s on a island near Sea World and much safer. When I use to bring my family, I’d stay there. Has some nice bungalows.

Not far from the landing.
    These are great recommendations for family, and totally close to the landings..

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Thanks for the input. The places over by sea world are 2 to 3 times more for our time frame. Not in the budget this trip.
    Understand. It’s great for young kids, that why I mentioned it. As I recall it did have a kid’s pool as well.

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    How about a good/decent hotel, where I'll be able to:
    1. Stay the night before and leave car parked there while I'm on an 11 day trip (Independence 11/26 thru 12//07/2022). Hopefully "affordable" daily parking rate.
    2. Easy to get back & forth with tackle, rods & reels, etc. from hotel to boat.

I'll be by myself so only me to wrangle my stuff from hotel to boat. Do I need to bring my own dolly/cart?

Thanks, Jim

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    Ramada - right across the street. Just grab a dock cart and roll it over. I think that parking was $12.00/day last time I was there. Adequate rooms, decent service. I am heading back tomorrow night before my 6 day Penn Vagabond trip - headed for Lupe...

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    1. Stay the night before and leave car parked there while I'm on an 11 day trip (Independence 11/26 thru 12//07/2022). Hopefully "affordable" daily parking rate.

I'll be by myself so only me to wrangle my stuff from hotel to boat. Do I need to bring my own dolly/cart?

Thanks, Jim
    ...............................................................................................................................................................................

Hotel Rooms
    Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel
    San Diego, California, United States​

Hotel image carousel containing 35 slides

Show image 70 of 35
    Show image 2 of 35

View Hotel Details
    CHECK-IN: 3:00 P.M. PST Check-Out: 12:00 Noon PST
    5005 N Harbor Drive San Diego, California 92106 United States

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none

Thanks, Jim
    In November the parking lot shouldn’t be a problem. The summer is a pain. Just make sure at the hotel you vehicle is secure and cover your stuff. Take your rods and reel into your room overnight with your important stuff. Once in the parking lot you can grab a cart and load your stuff. Just ask someone that’s going on the trip to watch your stuff if you have to leave it.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    We stayed at the Best Western across from the landing in June. Perfectly fine. They allow the car to stay up to a week for free as well, even just staying one night. There's a decent chain grocery store within a couple blocks, plenty of dining options outside the landing's offerings (which are OK but a little overpriced). I just booked it again for next year. There is a pool there was well.

Upvote 0

Hntnhrd

Almost A Member
  • Jul 5, 2016
    Corvallis Montana
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Sold
    I think the best western is what we are going to choose. It’s at 131.00 a night for our time frame and I have a couple free nights through hotels.com I can use also.
    I have had an issue with the Ramada chain in the past and swore I would never stay in one of their hotels in the future. Glad there are other and better options.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    Hey guys, I'm jumping on here. I'm going on the Red Rooster III end of October. Best Western. I'm just coming with my fishing buddy who a big dummy like me so we don't mind "tweezers". We used to do the Blue Dolphin and are broken-hearted that old cathouse is gone. Appreciate your input.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I booked the Ramada again just now for our end of September Rooster trip. I just like being close to the landing....like drive my cart across the street, load my stuff and leave my truck in their parking lot close. Rooms are good enough.....I wouldn't take my kid here unless your just planning on sleeping here and having fun across the hill at Sea World and OB.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Humphreys Half Moon Inn, Just around the corner. They will feel like their in some tropical resort, Prices are great. 5 minute walk to landing. Check it out!!!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    RAMADA..right across street from Fishermans Landing and
    Islander boarding. I've paid to park there for years, even
    stayed a night now and then. Clean and well run Hotel.

Upvote 0