Recommendations for Gear Setups for 1.5 day BFT trip

Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Another newbie going on his first SoCal fishing trip ever. I am scheduled to go out with the Pacific Queen for a BFT at the end of the month and I am needing the help of you veteran fisher (men and women) to help setup some of the gear I presently have. I live in NorCal and most of my outfits are light weight in comparison to the outfits used for the fishing south. When reading some of the forums, I think I have gear for the smaller to medium fish and I plan to rent some bigger setups from Fishermans Landing . I'm sure once I go on this first trip, I'll be going again in the future so any suggestions to rods and reels to get will be appreciated. So this is the rods and reels that I have currently.

- Phenix Abyss PSX 808 15-40
- Seeker 270-8 CT Deckhand 15-40
- Grafighter 800M Deckhand 20-40
- Classic Seeker 670H-8 Deckhand 30-80

- Avet SX spooled with 50lb braid
- Avet MXJ spooled with 65lb braid All the Avets are regular not raptors
- Avet MXL 2 speed spooled with 65lb braid

I just picked up the seekers and grafighter used, so I have never fished them yet. The reels I used for salmon, rockfish and sturgeon fishing. I know I will need to
buy a reel for the 670 rod, so this is where suggestions will be helpful. Since I have some time before my trip I can start looking for more gear. Can't wait to hear from you.

bdubs73

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Not knowing what your budget is:
I would go with a Penn Fathom 25 lever drag, or maybe the 30. I have a 25 and it is my "go to" for bait fishing on 40-80lb fish. I have it paired with a Calstar Graphiter 800M 30-60 rod.

Reactions: Motofish
Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Not knowing what your budget is:
I would go with a Penn Fathom 25 lever drag, or maybe the 30. I have a 25 and it is my "go to" for bait fishing on 40-80lb fish. I have it paired with a Calstar Graphiter 800M 30-60 rod.
I was looking at the Penn Fathom 25 and maybe the 40 for the 670 rod. Since this is my first trip I wanted to see what others on the boat fished with before I went crazy buying new gear. So is the Fathom 25 a single or two speed reel? Thanks for the input.

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Here's my choice;

SX on the Seeker 270-8 for 20lb
MXJ on the Abyss for 25 lb
MXL on the Grafighter for 30lb

All with a mono top shot and matching fluorocarbon leader.
Pick up a heavier reel for the 670-8 for 40lb, like a Fathom 30/40 2 speed, AVET JX 2 speed, or something similar. You can rent a bigger setup also.

njoyflyfishing

Well-Known "Member"
May 3, 2016
Diamond Bar, CA
Name
Nathan
Boat
16' Slideright
All of my trips on the Pacific Queen and my 1.5 day trips have been fishing 20-40 lb setups. You will probably be fishing mostly bait as a first timer, and it is usually the easiest way to start getting bit and keeping your line in the water. All of your first three rods will work for this, although all of them might be considered a light 40lb. I had an SX in the past and really liked it, although I view it as a light 30lb reel. The other reels should work as solid 30 and 40 lb reels. For the 670, I would think that something like the penn 40N in whatever flavor you like (2spd, star, lever) would have the capacity you need and the drag required for 50-60+ lb which should work for that rod. Other manufacturers all have similar products that are good as well. I think Avet's is the HX, and Okuma, Shimano, and Daiwa all have something as well both in the mid tier and their upper tier lines.

I doubt you will actually need the 60lb on a 1.5 day on the PQ, but if they tell you you need it and they mention there are some cows at a certain depth, you can put on a dropper loop or a jig and try to put something in front of them, and the deckhands can help you with that. Nice to have metered lines so that you can estimate depth if you don't already have it spooled on.

The one thing that looks like it is missing so far for you is a solid 40lb setup. The 6480 in whatever brand you like is common for this use, and the Okuma PCH 801h is another. Other manufacturers have interesting offerings as well. The Penn 25N is a perfect 40lb reel, as is the Progear v40, Shimano 16 or 20, and the Daiwa 35 or 40, maybe avet JX.

Tight Lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine
Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Here's my choice;

SX on the Seeker 270-8 for 20lb
MXJ on the Abyss for 25 lb
MXL on the Grafighter for 30lb

All with a mono top shot and matching fluorocarbon leader.
Pick up a heavier reel for the 670-8 for 40lb, like a Fathom 30/40 2 speed, AVET JX 2 speed, or something similar. You can rent a bigger setup also.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was not sure on the rod/reel setups for the abyss and seeker 270. This helps out a lot, as I read thru the forums it makes fishing easier to have several line setups rigged versus trying to retie different top shots on and miss the bite.

Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
All of my trips on the Pacific Queen and my 1.5 day trips have been fishing 20-40 lb setups. You will probably be fishing mostly bait as a first timer, and it is usually the easiest way to start getting bit and keeping your line in the water. All of your first three rods will work for this, although all of them might be considered a light 40lb. I had an SX in the past and really liked it, although I view it as a light 30lb reel. The other reels should work as solid 30 and 40 lb reels. For the 670, I would think that something like the penn 40N in whatever flavor you like (2spd, star, lever) would have the capacity you need and the drag required for 50-60+ lb which should work for that rod. Other manufacturers all have similar products that are good as well. I think Avet's is the HX, and Okuma, Shimano, and Daiwa all have something as well both in the mid tier and their upper tier lines.

I doubt you will actually need the 60lb on a 1.5 day on the PQ, but if they tell you you need it and they mention there are some cows at a certain depth, you can put on a dropper loop or a jig and try to put something in front of them, and the deckhands can help you with that. Nice to have metered lines so that you can estimate depth if you don't already have it spooled on.

The one thing that looks like it is missing so far for you is a solid 40lb setup. The 6480 in whatever brand you like is common for this use, and I the Okuma PCH 801h is another. Other manufacturers have interesting offerings as well. The Penn 25N is a perfect 40lb reel, as is the Progear v40, Shimano 16 or 20, and the Daiwa 35 or 40, maybe avet JX.

Tight Lines.
I did checkout a Okuma PCH that was more of a XXH and I couldn't believe how much backbone and light they are. Also for the price they are pretty reasonable. Also like the Shimano and Daiwa reels too and now that I know what sizes to look for maybe I can find a good deal on them before my trip, if not I probably just get a Penn Fathom for now. Thanks for the help.

Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
HighWild got it. you just need a 60lb reel for sinker fishing or coltsniper/flatfall. Any of reels he suggested will be great
I haven't bought any lures yet, so what would you suggest would be some good ones just to starts with ? Makes, size and colors for all around ? I know it's hard depending on the bite and drift/current, but do you have "go to" lures? Or it better just to wait closer to my trip to see ?

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Stick with bait.

Else, ask landing the day of departure what one jig you should buy. Then buy two of them.

Keep doing that and you'll gain gear as you go instead of listening to us knuckleheads saying one of these is better then those.

• Haha
Reactions: bdubs73
Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Stick with bait.

Else, ask landing the day of departure what one jig you should buy. Then buy two of them.

Keep doing that and you'll gain gear as you go instead of listening to us knuckleheads saying one of these is better then those.
Yeah better learn one thing at a time. I'm like most fisherman buy everything and use only one or two lures that seems to work. I guess I can look for a 40lb setup . LOL

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Stick with bait.

"Then buy two of them" ahhh yes...and so the addiction begins...

Reactions: Stanley Saraos Jr.
Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Thanks for all the suggestions on the setups I have and the reels to pair with my Seeker 670h rod. I decided to get the Penn fathom 40 2 speed for the Seeker 670H rod. Probably rent a 40 lb setup , unless I find a rod and reel before my trip. I just love FISHING. Thanks again for all the help.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Most of the boats have been catching school size blufin that average about 30lbs. A few a little bigger and a few a little smaller but most are right around 30lbs. The fish are kind of line shy and you will get bit best on 25lb line with a #2 or #4 J hook. Forty or fifty pound spectra with a 15 to 20 ft flurocarbon leader has worked very well. Straight mono will work but the spectra with a fluro leader lets the bait swim a little better. Shoulder hooking the bait has been the ticket recently.
I would fish 25lb on the SX and MXJ and 30lb on the MXL. You really should have a 40 or 50lb outfit just in case the bigger models show up. I would stick mostly with bait. On my last trip I spent a lot of time fishing flatfalls, colt snipers, jigs and poppers but I ended up catching all my fish on bait and they were all caught on an Avet MXJ with 25lb and a Calstar 800M.

Jun 29, 2020
San Mateo, Ca. 94401
Name
Stanley Saraos Jr
Boat
Porta Bote
Most of the boats have been catching school size blufin that average about 30lbs. A few a little bigger and a few a little smaller but most are right around 30lbs. The fish are kind of line shy and you will get bit best on 25lb line with a #2 or #4 J hook. Forty or fifty pound spectra with a 15 to 20 ft flurocarbon leader has worked very well. Straight mono will work but the spectra with a fluro leader lets the bait swim a little better. Shoulder hooking the bait has been the ticket recently.
I would fish 25lb on the SX and MXJ and 30lb on the MXL. You really should have a 40 or 50lb outfit just in case the bigger models show up. I would stick mostly with bait. On my last trip I spent a lot of time fishing flatfalls, colt snipers, jigs and poppers but I ended up catching all my fish on bait and they were all caught on an Avet MXJ with 25lb and a Calstar 800M.
Thanks for the information about hook and line sizes to use. I have slowly been buying a variety of weights of fluorocarbon line, circle and flyliner style hooks from #1 - 5/0. I guess I will get some #2 J hook.