RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Here’s my two cents on Lupe. It’s can be on or off. Unfortunately with the new permits, etc. you end up being committed to Yellowtail and Yellowfin. If you want variety I’d rather go to the ridge or Alijos. Your not to commit and the boats will check more spots. That just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
I wonder how much rental gear will cost for two people on 8 days.
the Indy and I think some other boats just charge you to put new line on.

FishRock
FishRock
Anytime I have borrowed boat gear they only charged me for top shots that got used up. Basically never had to pay for the use of any gear on an 8 day or longer run. This was on the Red Rooster III and American Angler.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
10 day trips are usually a good variety trip and of coarse, the Independence would be my choice

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
There are only a few of the boats that have permits to Guadalupe. The Vagabond is one of them. They are excellent with families as Mike and Cameron each have their own. Let Mike know what you want with a phone call and he can get you set up.

Book now as the boats fill up fast. Generally what happens is the people sign up for next years trip as they are getting off this years trip. The good boats fill up right away.

Your family will have a blast!!

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
Hello,
We’ve always had a deal with my son that if he does well in school and doesn’t get in trouble that he would get a big trip for graduation. We’ll, fortunately for us it’s getting close to time for him to graduate.

Turns out he’s really thinking of doing a multi-day trip. Best thing is, my wife wants me to go with him!

I was really into the LR game from HS to college, but I pretty much gave up on it in the late 90’s as my interest moved to spearfishing. That is to say, I’m familiar with the industry, but mostly ignorant of the nitty-gritty details of tackle and gear advances in the past couple decades. Plus, so much has changed with closures, and fishing styles, big local BFT, etc.

So here is what we are looking for:
*A late summer/early fall 6-8 day trip
*I want to avoid a trip centered around picking at big bluefin. Variety would be best for him.
*We need a complete package of rental gear.
*This would be for summer of ‘23.
*Boat/crew with a good vibe for a couple newbies.
*A trip to Guadalupe would be extra dope, but I don’t think it’s possible to plan on those permits?

thank you!
What does everyone think?
Jim
Go on a mid to late October trip. Red Rooster 111 is a great boat and great crew. THis year will be my third trip with them. Call Maria at the office and she will answer all your questions 619 224-3857

Good luck

Upvote 0

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
Everyone has a favorite boat , I think the long range fleet is pretty top notch all around.

If I had to tell you one it would be the American Angler. Truly a family vibe on the boat crew and captains are amazing.

My main reason though for the recommendation is with your situation. I went on a trip 3 years ago on the AA were over half the trip were guys from Alaska. None had gear or experience at that style of fishing. They provided loaner gear, and tackle , the crew helped guys catch fish. It was amazing. We had tuna, wahoo, yellowtail, and Ray even took part of one day ran down and hooked the guys a few marlin just so they could say they did it. Lori from the office gave guys rides tot he airport after the trip.

The entire trip was a blast. Life long friends were made some of the long range guys have been to Alaska and fished with those guys up there now.

It was a Dec 10 day trip , we hit the ridge , mag bay, the rocks, and san pablo on the way home,

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Hello,
We’ve always had a deal with my son that if he does well in school and doesn’t get in trouble that he would get a big trip for graduation. We’ll, fortunately for us it’s getting close to time for him to graduate.

Turns out he’s really thinking of doing a multi-day trip. Best thing is, my wife wants me to go with him!

I was really into the LR game from HS to college, but I pretty much gave up on it in the late 90’s as my interest moved to spearfishing. That is to say, I’m familiar with the industry, but mostly ignorant of the nitty-gritty details of tackle and gear advances in the past couple decades. Plus, so much has changed with closures, and fishing styles, big local BFT, etc.

So here is what we are looking for:
*A late summer/early fall 6-8 day trip
*I want to avoid a trip centered around picking at big bluefin. Variety would be best for him.
*We need a complete package of rental gear.
*This would be for summer of ‘23.
*Boat/crew with a good vibe for a couple newbies.
*A trip to Guadalupe would be extra dope, but I don’t think it’s possible to plan on those permits?

thank you!
What does everyone think?
Jim
Just got off the Excel 8 day with the Tuna Slicers. I love the Excel and the Slicers group is wonderful.

Upvote 0

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
Meeker, CO
Name
Jim
Boat
None
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think my biggest issue is going to be finding a trip with open spots!
I haven’t been on a long trip since ‘95 so I’m getting really pumped planning all this out!

Reactions: FishRock
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think my biggest issue is going to be finding a trip with open spots!
I haven’t been on a long trip since ‘95 so I’m getting really pumped planning all this out!
As folks have been saying it does look like many of the boats are making up for the past year of cancellations with nearly full bookings into 2022. Options may be limited.

If you get shut out on the SD fleet you might consider a run out of Puerta Vallarta (La Cruz de Huanacaxtle with the Osuna's, Marlas Sport Fishing.

My 14 day was canceled last minute and my son asked if there were any other options to go tuna fishing since it would be his only opportunity for the year. We booked a 3.5 day last minute and had the trip of a lifetime.

Their trips are all inclusive. Gear, food, drinks and fish processing.

Reactions: jimikinz
Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Avoid Guadalupe because it's specialized for fishing for bigger fish?? That's incorrect information you're passing along to somebody that wishes to fish there. My group fishes there every single year and that place is absolutely incredible! YFT can range from 30-150lbs and everything in between. Yes there are some bigger grade fish that migrate through there, but that's no different from any other destination on the map. Plus the YT fishing there is world class.....
JIMIKINZ says he wants " VARIETY" & also not picking @ big bluefin.
just got back from Lupe Tue AM. It is a tougher place to fish for someone who is new. IT can be frustrating. Great white sharks are there. I you are new to bigger , stronger tuna that take a lot of force and finesse the last 50 feet as they circle, you could be feeding the sharks often. there are 2 fish that you fish for - yellowfin tuna & yellowtail = NOT VARIETY. No bottom fish or bass are allowed to be kept. Picking @ bigger YFT is simnilar to BFT. We had a great trip - one guy got 13 YFT but another person, good fisherman, had only 2 fish total goinginto day 3, our last day.

I would say do a 10 day if possible in the fall - October/early Nov. 8 day will do also. the 2 extra days allows you to go to both Alijos and the Ridge with plenty of time in wahoo country. Ridge = tuna, yellowtail, wahoo, grouper, pargo, dorado, bottom fish and then there is more as one hits the main coast on the way back - halibut, white seabass, more yellowtail, calicos, sheepshead, and more. These are all possible = VARIETY.

Plan ahead
1. get passport = both paper & the credit card type
2. pick your boat soon and then see about how to get on the trip. Talk personally to the captain.
first call goes to those that fish the trip the previous year. If all return, there are no openings. Trip I just fished, the new guys tried to get on this trip for the last 3 years. Finally was an opening this year.
3. Let them know of your loaner needs ASAP as this year the Bluefin are causing landings to run out of gear for those that ask @ the last minute. Maybe old LR friends can also help you out if possible

good luck
P.S. Maybe the 10 day can do a couple of Lupe days but still go to the ridge/Alijos. Best of both worlds as Lupe is so special. Fishing is hard to plan ahead as to whre the bite will be

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
JIMIKINZ says he wants " VARIETY" & also not picking @ big bluefin.
just got back from Lupe Tue AM. It is a tougher place to fish for someone who is new. IT can be frustrating. Great white sharks are there. I you are new to bigger , stronger tuna that take a lot of force and finesse the last 50 feet as they circle, you could be feeding the sharks often. there are 2 fish that you fish for - yellowfin tuna & yellowtail = NOT VARIETY. No bottom fish or bass are allowed to be kept. Picking @ bigger YFT is simnilar to BFT. We had a great trip - one guy got 13 YFT but another person, good fisherman, had only 2 fish total goinginto day 3, our last day.

I would say do a 10 day if possible in the fall - October/early Nov. 8 day will do also. the 2 extra days allows you to go to both Alijos and the Ridge with plenty of time in wahoo country. Ridge = tuna, yellowtail, wahoo, grouper, pargo, dorado, bottom fish and then there is more as one hits the main coast on the way back - halibut, white seabass, more yellowtail, calicos, sheepshead, and more. These are all possible = VARIETY.

Plan ahead
1. get passport = both paper & the credit card type
2. pick your boat soon and then see about how to get on the trip. Talk personally to the captain.
first call goes to those that fish the trip the previous year. If all return, there are no openings. Trip I just fished, the new guys tried to get on this trip for the last 3 years. Finally was an opening this year.
3. Let them know of your loaner needs ASAP as this year the Bluefin are causing landings to run out of gear for those that ask @ the last minute. Maybe old LR friends can also help you out if possible

good luck
P.S. Maybe the 10 day can do a couple of Lupe days but still go to the ridge/Alijos. Best of both worlds as Lupe is so special. Fishing is hard to plan ahead as to whre the bite will be
All good information and thanks for the Lupe report. If JIMIKINZ actually does find let's say a 7 or 8 day trip as he stated, then he'll get variety even if they fish Guadalupe for 2-3 days. This gives them plenty of time for other options (ie dorado, bft, rock cod, sheep head, kelp patties etc). We've done this quite often...get our fill at Lupe over a few days and then head offshore for different grounds. If he's on a 5 or 6 day trip, there are still options....but a much smaller window to search for "variety". Either way, JIMIKINZ will have a great time and experience with his son!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Double Eagle

Nov 22, 2020
West Hills, CA
Name
Arturo R Jacinto
Boat
Intrepid
Love both boats. 5 ten-day trips on the Intrepid and going again for the sixth time this October. Took the Indy on my first 16 day last January then again 7 days in June. Now going again on an 8 day in August and back to the 16 day in January. Both are top-notch. By now you'd think I knew how to fish!

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
The 2022 schedule is just coming out. Usually the prior year passengers get the first rights. Some will say yes, but won’t be able to make it. Pick two or three boats your interested in and call. Some might have a waiting list set up, while others won’t until that trip finishes. Get there email and once the 2022 trip finishes, call and ask to be put on the waiting list. See how many are ahead of you, and send a deposit.

Good luck, you should be able to get on a boat.

Upvote 0

slash

Sep 30, 2009
Rancho Mirage, Ca
Name
Steve
Boat
none
PM sent to you. I think you should come on down to Spirit of Adventure on Sept. 19 and meet our group. Too much going on when the boats return but at departure the groups are hanging out catching up on each others lives. Real good time to check out the vibe of each group. And.......as a couple people have answered here, the most important part of the trip is the group. These boats are all great and all catch fish.