jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
Meeker, CO
Name
Jim
Boat
None
Hello,
We’ve always had a deal with my son that if he does well in school and doesn’t get in trouble that he would get a big trip for graduation. We’ll, fortunately for us it’s getting close to time for him to graduate.

Turns out he’s really thinking of doing a multi-day trip. Best thing is, my wife wants me to go with him!

I was really into the LR game from HS to college, but I pretty much gave up on it in the late 90’s as my interest moved to spearfishing. That is to say, I’m familiar with the industry, but mostly ignorant of the nitty-gritty details of tackle and gear advances in the past couple decades. Plus, so much has changed with closures, and fishing styles, big local BFT, etc.

So here is what we are looking for:
*A late summer/early fall 6-8 day trip
*I want to avoid a trip centered around picking at big bluefin. Variety would be best for him.
*We need a complete package of rental gear.
*This would be for summer of ‘23.
*Boat/crew with a good vibe for a couple newbies.
*A trip to Guadalupe would be extra dope, but I don’t think it’s possible to plan on those permits?

thank you!
What does everyone think?
Jim

Reactions: Tunahead

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hello,
We’ve always had a deal with my son that if he does well in school and doesn’t get in trouble that he would get a big trip for graduation. We’ll, fortunately for us it’s getting close to time for him to graduate.

Turns out he’s really thinking of doing a multi-day trip. Best thing is, my wife wants me to go with him!

I was really into the LR game from HS to college, but I pretty much gave up on it in the late 90’s as my interest moved to spearfishing. That is to say, I’m familiar with the industry, but mostly ignorant of the nitty-gritty details of tackle and gear advances in the past couple decades. Plus, so much has changed with closures, and fishing styles, big local BFT, etc.

*I want to avoid a trip centered around picking at big bluefin. Variety would be best for him.
*A trip to Guadalupe would be extra dope, but I don’t think it’s possible to plan on those permits?

thank you!
Jim
Before you book your trip,
Ask if they have loaner gear ,
That way you just get charged for your top shots , witch will save you a lot,
And they will reserve what you need for your trip, then you just need to worry
About terminal tackle.
Most LR boats do.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
I highly recommend the INDEPENDENCE . TALK TO JOHN COLLINS.

8B07B6A0-389D-4960-8855-9B5D238A0494.jpeg

E4BD363C-A2FE-4D2B-BDF8-C74D2CC4D316.jpeg

272551BA-FC6D-4427-BDD2-DC46C575947A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I wonder how much rental gear will cost for two people on 8 days.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    When I dived and coming back I always looked for fish, when I fished I always wanted to take a dive. Being on the water and eating good… Bueno. Might try the Vagabond.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Do at least 8 day's, 10 days would be better for a variety and gives you more options, 2 Extra days makes a Big difference. Go in September- November. I would go on the Intrepid (Free Loaner gear, all you pay for is top shots, Ounce you receive the tackle and whenever you need a top shot figure Appx $10.00 per reel). The Intrepid everything is included in your ticket price, No permits, Fuel Surcharge, Etc. Remember to tip 15-20% of the ticket price per person. Great boat, food and crew. If you can't get on it, Do the Independence, Pretty much the same, But you pay for permits and a fuel surcharge if they impose it. Good luck, Your son will love it. Also the prices are a little cheaper after the summer Sch.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Intrepid is a great boat with loaner gear as well ., call steve at the office

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Your asking about 2023. Long ways off and things will most likely be different in regards to Bluefin and Lupe, hope not.

First look at you time frame, then look at the current schedules of all the long range boats. They are all good, yet do have there own personalities. Also each group can be different. I suggest you look at a sponsored trip and get the contact info for the charter master. call the office and ask. He’ll have great info about the past fishing, the group, etc.

As note all the LR fleet has loaner/rental gear. Several reel companies sponsor trips and bring a lot of gear to demo, again you pay for top shots and terminal tackle.

As you will gather we all have our preferred boats so that’s the hard part. Once you have a better idea, keep asking questions. 8 to 10 days is ideal.

it’s a great addiction that your son will cherish.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Hello,

thank you!
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

The dozen or so Long Range boats are all great operations in general. From the parameters and goals you outlined, the Royal Star, American Angler or Intrepid would be my recommendations. Check out their web sites for details. They have loaner gear, smaller loads and great crews. Call the office to get more information about specific trips and a feel for each operation.

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Summer / Fall 2023 is the big unknown. Unknown if the Guadalupe permits are still accessible and if the BFT are here or gone. Please keep in mind that not all of the LR operations have permits to fish Guadalupe. If you read the reports now, you'll know which boats have access and those who don't. If it's just an open ocean trip (ie rocks, bank and etc), then any of the operations will be able to fulfill your needs. When the schedules post in Summer 2022, call the operations office and ask about the Guadalupe permits. At this point, your decision making process will become clear on which operations will best suit your needs in 2023. Good luck and have fun!

*Boat recommendation- Royal Polaris.

Reactions: jimikinz
    Upvote 0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Santa Monica, Ca.
    Name
    Tony O'Connell
    Boat
    Hardcore
    As a teacher I would recommend avoiding Guadalupe as it is specialized fishing for bigger fish. The closure of Cedros and Benitos necessitates an 8 day trip down to the Ridge which gives you a better shot at the full variety of fish present there in Aug., Sept. and Oct. On this type of trip even a beginner will get plenty of opportunities to catch their share of fish. The group you go with is most important and I would add the Spirit to the boats already recommended. All the boats in the long range fleet are stellar and I would go where you feel most comfortable. It should be a trip of a lifetime for all of you.

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    As a teacher I would recommend avoiding Guadalupe as it is specialized fishing for bigger fish. The closure of Cedros and Benitos necessitates an 8 day trip down to the Ridge which gives you a better shot at the full variety of fish present there in Aug., Sept. and Oct. On this type of trip even a beginner will get plenty of opportunities to catch their share of fish. The group you go with is most important and I would add the Spirit to the boats already recommended. All the boats in the long range fleet are stellar and I would go where you feel most comfortable. It should be a trip of a lifetime for all of you.
    Avoid Guadalupe because it's specialized for fishing for bigger fish?? That's incorrect information you're passing along to somebody that wishes to fish there. My group fishes there every single year and that place is absolutely incredible! YFT can range from 30-150lbs and everything in between. Yes there are some bigger grade fish that migrate through there, but that's no different from any other destination on the map. Plus the YT fishing there is world class.....

Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    Don't forget we can only keep the 5 Pelagic species at Lupe ... no bottom fish
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Sep 16, 2020
    Southern Oregon
    Name
    James S HILL
    Boat
    Royal Star, Polaris Supreme
    I was you last year. I did a 10 day in November on the Polaris Supreme, my first trip back since the late nineties. Biggest difference for me was the gear has gotten lighter. Most guys use smaller two speed reels with braid and fluro carbon. You likely will hit the ridge and make a stop of Alijos for big yellowtail. You should have good variety in the fall. I think they will only chase bluefin on a 8-10 day trip if fishing is off the charts. 6 bluefin would be your max and that would count for half your overall limit.

Reactions: jimikinz and RichG
    Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    If you want to go to Guadalupe, go on a boat that has the permits. Searcher, Royal Polaris and Royal Star are there right now. AA and Red Rooster have them as well. Any of these boats would give you an excellent trip to the Lupe. A 7 day would give you tons of fishing time. On the other hand if you want more variety with possibility of catching some wahoo. Go on the Indy or Intrepid.
    PS-the yellows and tuna are biting right now at the Lupe. Wahoo and yellows at the Rocks.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0