Recipes for preserving small fish (grunion, sardine, anchovy etc.)

segreenb

Apr 24, 2020
Bay Area
Name
Sam
Boat
None
I know a lot of fisherman who regard small fish purely as bait, but I quite like sardines, herring, and anchovy. I'm in LA at the moment and got some grunion at the last run and I'm looking for some good recipes that will preserve the fish for a few weeks at least. Fried grunion are good, but if there's a good run you can't eat them all in one night.

I made some into Boquerones which I had never tried before by soaking gutted headless grunion in straight vinegar in the fridge overnight then covering with oil).Those were pretty good and I'm looking for more methods like that so I can actually preserve a fair amount of fish if I catch a lot in one day. I have a smoker so I'm thinking I'll try smoking some (maybe after brining) and storing those in oil like sardines.

I'm not sure, there's lots of varieties of preserved fish but I haven't found too many recipes that start from the fresh fish and are meant to store for more than a few days. I'm going out for grunion tonight. If I find some good recipes maybe I'll buy a cast net and try catching some small fish off a pier. Thanks.

Reactions: Cubeye

joe pimentel

Me Hung Low
Dec 27, 2010
pismo beach, ca. U.S.A.
Name
Joe P.
Boat
The Pacific Mistress
Sardines are good fried try using Bisquick instead of flour. Flour burns
Try preserving them in rock salt like they did before refrigerators

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Why couldn't you vacuum pack them and freeze them like other fish? Should work I think.Maybe Lay them out neatly on those small paper trays like they do for tray bait for salmon.

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
Be sure to check regulations on cast nets in Ca. waters/species.
How about canning. Canning sardines has worked out well for me.

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
Cast nets cannot be used in California freshwater. Cast nets can be used in California saltwater (north of Point Conception, and for certain baitfish). nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species."Apr 5, 2011

Last edited:

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
Cast nets cannot be used in California freshwater. Cast nets can be used in California saltwater (north of Point Conception, and for certain baitfish). nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species."Apr 5, 2011