socaldieseltech

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2006
Santa Ana, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
25' Wellcraft Coastal "No Reason"
going this weekend, June 3.....haven't seen any recent reports. Anyone been down lately? Any yellows?

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
Per reports from a captain down there. Lots of reds and no yt as of Tuesday

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Per reports from a captain down there. Lots of reds and no yt as of Tuesday
Weather looks good, this is when things get interesting in SQ, so I guess your report is the one we're waiting on . Good luck , if you have anyomne to cal l do that, take stuff for all types of fishing

Reactions: jsl
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
does lots of red crab ( tuna crabs ) mean there may be tuna further out, but not too far out ? reasonable distance for a panga ?

also, is there any indication of white sea bass ? they've been around catalina and around the channel islands. would that mean they may be getting active around the san quintin or socorro aeas ?

we'll be looking for your report as we are going to be in san quintin on june 10.

best of luck to you.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
You guys know more than I do, but memorial day seems to kick stuff off,every year, I'm not going to make it for a while , maybe everybody to busy catching to post? Have fun ,be ready for anything

download_20140530_094632-1.jpeg

Reactions: pascuale
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
hope our ice chests look the same but...with more whites, yellows, reds and lings !!!!

how do you guys fish for the reds and lings ? is there a limit as to how many hooks can be used ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
hope our ice chests look the same but...with more whites, yellows, reds and lings !!!!

how do you guys fish for the reds and lings ? is there a limit as to how many hooks can be used ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Dropper loops, 2 or three 8 or 10 oz, big lead heads and squid , I don't kow the limit, but don't like too much stuff hanging around, If there's chance yellowtail or wsb around 1 hook 4 or 5 ' up. Yep that chest was full of what you want when the seabass hit the plastic, just a little bonus for trying one more spot on way in

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
does lots of red crab ( tuna crabs ) mean there may be tuna further out, but not too far out ? reasonable distance for a panga ?

also, is there any indication of white sea bass ? they've been around catalina and around the channel islands. would that mean they may be getting active around the san quintin or socorro aeas ?

we'll be looking for your report as we are going to be in san quintin on june 10.

best of luck to you.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT[/QUOT

IMO, for wsb, water temps are more important compared to timing so they may form spawning aggregations at different times in different areas due to localized events ( up welling, wind events ect).

The tuna may or may not be there. Just because the red crab are there, it does not mean the tuna are there as well. Nobody really knows because their range is wide and the data is deficient with respect to their movements because their populations vary in movement and feeding patterns. Everybody has their guesses but nobody really knows when and where.

I would check with the locals for the latest information with respect to what's going on and then plan accordingly. I know a couple of captains down there who are on the water almost everyday and they tend to keep me updated. They're on fb so if you guys like, I could connect you with them.

Scott

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen

Kellys twins

Playing with the twins
Aug 9, 2011
Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
Name
Rick Woodley
Boat
Kellys twins 23' Donzi

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
For the lings live bait is the best, doesn't matter if it's mac's smelt lizzards or perch the can't resist it. Most of the fish is 5 of any species, 10 fish limit. 3 hooks max. Squid or cut bait works well for reds, my favorite is lead head with twin tail and a piece of squid or cut bait, the bait is very important, lots more bites with a piece of bait on the rig, size of lead head depends on depth, lots of reds in the 100ft range. Good Luck, will be heading down Sat the 4th for a few weeks.

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
we're staying at jardines but can get to the old mill fairly early.

question..best place for breakfast before fishing saturday and sunday and to get lunch for us and the pangero the nite before without having to drive too far. i'm guessing the pangas leave around 7 A.M. does garcia's have access to breakfast and lunch ? their website is down.

can i get squid in san quintin or would garcias have it available. or just bring a 5 pound box.

i thank you in advance.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
we're staying at jardines but can get to the old mill fairly early.

question..best place for breakfast before fishing saturday and sunday and to get lunch for us and the pangero the nite before without having to drive too far. i'm guessing the pangas leave around 7 A.M. does garcia's have access to breakfast and lunch ? their website is down.

can i get squid in san quintin or would garcias have it available. or just bring a 5 pound box.

i thank you in advance.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Bring your own squid. I usually get mine from the Asian markets. 99 ranch usually has good quality. There's a burrito person who sells coffee and burritos by the launch ramp but they usually run out so I usually bring my own sandwiches and such just in case. BTW, one of the garcias posted pics of yt on fb today so maybe you're in luck. Cheers...

Scott

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Bring your own squid. I usually get mine from the Asian markets. 99 ranch usually has good quality. There's a burrito person who sells coffee and burritos by the launch ramp but they usually run out so I usually bring my own sandwiches and such just in case. BTW, one of the garcias posted pics of yt on fb today so maybe you're in luck. Cheers...
I uasually try to go out at dark thirty if possible, 5:30 or so, I fish with There neighbor , he'll let me in in dark load , be out of bay at grey light
Scott
Call or check when you get there,but Don Eddie's were open early, I usually just take breakfast cereal and stuff to make lunch with me its easy to buy milk and ice there and Jardines has the freezer when you get in..x2 on bait, can't have too much, the fish market in Ensenada uasually has something and its a good place to take a break, even shrimp is good for sheepshead . They laugh when we get there with so much stuff but they love it when we give them all fish and stuff on way out, hve fun, tell Fernando howdy, Les and Kat

Last edited:

pascuale

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
La mission for breakfast. You will see it on the left on the main highway coming into town. Killer food for breakfast.

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
Hola

Leslie. Christense,

would that be jardines restaurant or the hotel that has the freezer ?

i heard that garcias has a freezer too. that's who we're fishing with.

also, we're going down in a pickup with an open bed and will have three big ice chests. does anyone know if we can just leave them at garcias for a couple of days so we don't have to drive around with them in the bed for three days ? one chest is for oysters...yum !!!

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Hola

Leslie. Christense,

would that be jardines restaurant or the hotel that has the freezer ?

i heard that garcias has a freezer too. that's who we're fishing with.

also, we're going down in a pickup with an open bed and will have three big ice chests. does anyone know if we can just leave them at garcias for a couple of days so we don't have to drive around with them in the bed for three days ? one chest is for oysters...yum !!!

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
At hotel, in back, outside, they'll take care of your icechest too , also sink and counter if you want to repackage fish, have fun, you can pick fruit, just watch out for locals partying back there ,they know how to drink! The guy that started this should be fidhing today so lets wish him luck, Guillermo will take care of you

IMG_2505.jpg

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
Take your own freezer and vacumm packer!

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
I just plug it in when I get there, and fill it day by day. The last trip I had was with two of my son's. We filled the freezer with eight White sea Bass. Smallest was 45PDS the big one was pushing sixty!

SDFishingRob

Well Known "Member"
Aug 19, 2010
San Diego/ Gonzaga Bay
Name
Robert
Boat
2 Malibu Stealth Kayaks
x2 on freezer and vacuum sealer. I usually leave the freezer in back of truck and plug it in via extension cord at Hotel if possible.

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
I just plug it in when I get there, and fill it day by day. The last trip I had was with two of my son's. We filled the freezer with eight White sea Bass. Smallest was 45PDS the big one was pushing sixty!
A half day trip?

socaldieseltech

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2006
Santa Ana, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
Just got back. No yellows for us, of course the boats that went out the day before got them. Fished with Kelly which is always a blast. Loaded up on rockfish of course and a couple lings. The weather was mostly overcast which made bird spotting difficult. Red crabs all over the high spots and I mean loaded with red crab. Every fish we caught was puking up crabs.

Old mill rooms were great but the food at the restaurant was horrible! What a bummer I was there last year and the year before that and it was great! I don't know what the hell happened!!

We weren't able to get rooms for Saturday night so we decided to check out hotel mision Santa Maria......this place is awesome! Right on the beach , room with 2 queens for $45!!! Dinner and breakfast was awesome!

San Quintin is getting ready to go off soon I'm sure. Either way a weekend in Baja is always so fun. Had a great time.

Reactions: castone001

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Clyde, did you take your boat down there, or did you jump on a panga?

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Just got back. No yellows for us, of course the boats that went out the day before got them. Fished with Kelly which is always a blast. Loaded up on rockfish of course and a couple lings. The weather was mostly overcast which made bird spotting difficult. Red crabs all over the high spots and I mean loaded with red crab. Every fish we caught was puking up crabs.

Old mill rooms were great but the food at the restaurant was horrible! What a bummer I was there last year and the year before that and it was great! I don't know what the hell happened!!

We weren't able to get rooms for Saturday night so we decided to check out hotel mision Santa Maria......this place is awesome! Right on the beach , room with 2 queens for $45!!! Dinner and breakfast was awesome!

San Quintin is getting ready to go off soon I'm sure. Either way a weekend in Baja is always so fun. Had a great time.
Hot here, glad you had a good time, kelly and sons are great, did you look outside?

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
We did not look outside just looked at some high spots. Water was 60-61!
Thanks,hey I think the same people control the old mill restaurant and the mission sant maria now, soundds like they lowered prices to be in line with others maybe took best chiefs to?

socaldieseltech

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2006
Santa Ana, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
Thanks,hey I think the same people control the old mill restaurant and the mission sant maria now, soundds like they lowered prices to be in line with others maybe took best chiefs to?
The food and service at Santa Maria really was night and day compared to the old mill. Like I said I've been to the old mill in the past and it was good....this is the first time I was disappointed.