Recent 10 Day

potuna

Unknown member
  • Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    I was on a 10 day that got back last week. We fished the entire Ridge, Alijos Rocks and the lupe. Ridge was not good except for wahoo, Raiders and bombs worked and my Tony the Tiger Hooker Intruder was 4 for 4 trolling. Otherwise small tuna, a couple yellows and a few dodos.
    Alijos was wahoo only for us, tried for yt no luck.
    The lupe is always a new learning experience, I’ve fished there many times going back to the late 80s. We were on the full moon, first day strong current in the right direction. Kite didn’t produce, we had excellent large sardines and made macs. I was able to get baits way back thinking the long soak was the ticket as it has been in the past. It took me awhile to figure out the bites were all close to the boat, sardines, macs and chunks worked On 60-100#. For the boat several yt over 50# caught on yo-yo and chunks, I fished hard for yt as I wanted one of these hogs but got the big zero.
    We sat in the same spot for two and a half days, made bait there between 4 and 6 and got 70-130# yft. Third day current was weird so we checked some other spots for not much. The ride across was pretty good, so all in all a good trip.

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    We were catching some big calicos on the chunk there in August. Always a fun place to go and worth the extra money to get there

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Forgot to mention we saw only one Great White and only had one tuna get bite in half but as always it was a big tuna.
    Lucky! About time the Great Whites leave the Lupe, head for Hawaii and feast on Spinner Dolphins. Then back to the Farralones in Spring.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and info. Glad ya got some fish.
    All and all a decent trip sounds like. Solid work.

Upvote 0

CHU CHANGO

Mar 26, 2015
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Any that will take me
    Glad you had Lupe in your back pocket. Sounds like it saved the trip. Thanks for the report.

On a side note, I’ve heard that the Intrepid doesn’t bother with the Lupe permits. Is there a particular reason why? Seems like every boat would want the option.

Upvote 0