Rebuild begins

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by fishing fanatic, Feb 9, 2017.

1. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Well I pulled the trigger and now am tearing apart the 1998 27' Almar. It's going to be an undertaking! Switching to dual outboards with a null extension and swim step incorporated. I do have a few opinion questions if any of you want to chime in I'd be appreciative!
    What size outboards would you do? I'm a Suzuki guy so I was thinking of the 200 4cylinders but have already had some feedback about that being a little light on power..... so then due to weight I'd go straight to the 300s?
    One of the Windows is broken and all of them are corroding in the frames as happens on these older boats. Suggestions?
    Boat has a propane system for the hot water heater, stove etc but I'm thinking I'll be removing the hot water heater and was thinking of going with a alcohol or diesel stove/ heater combo?
    I'm sure I'll have a million more questions and would take anything you all have to say!

IMG_0884.JPG

2. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
  3. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
  4. Dash One

Dash One Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    21’ Bayrunner Skiff
    Jason,

I don't like propane on a boat ... but that's me. Besides being potentially dangerous, it gives off quite a bit of moisture when burned. I have had both the combo heater/cooktop burner and the stand alone diesel furnace. Both work well. I think it's a space and budget decision. I went with Origio alcohol stove and Walls DT 40 on my new boat. Looking forward to following your refit thread.

Jay

Nelly and goatram like this.
  5. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Jay, you are good friends with my buddy rod Holmes and you and I have talked many times. I used to have a 26' osprey named blue collar. Your new boat is beautiful!

Dash One likes this.
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Go alcohol cooktop and separate diesel heater, that way you get defrost at windows. You will thank me later.

Dash One likes this.
  7. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Jason; Diamond Seaglaze Windows. more than likely what is in there now. I can get them at cost I believe. Take the old ones out and use Thin Luan Plywood to make Templates for the openings and Mark the the way you want the windows to open and what is inside and fwd. JR Windows is usually cheaper than DG if buying retail. I went with a Wallas 30 DT and I did plumb a duct to a manifold to defrost the window. Might be easier to take out your current heater and send it in for an overhaul. Cook Stove and heater with it already located on the counter.00

Motors 300's would be the same weight as 250's Throw a set of LFS4 props on them and you will have more than enough power. Just don't race them cause they are there. Pot Calling the Kettle Black there.

Boat is in my shop and your welcome to come down and look for Ideas. R&D Research/Ripoff and Duplicate is my motto. Look at the bilge of mind and how Bean Marine Fabrication Cut the Hull bottom and then welded in a new Hull Extension. Build it right and you can have your Kicker in the middle and you can spin the boat around on a dime. You need a kicker so if you got one don't sell it. Hours come fast on the ocean.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/the-journey.456381/

Dash One likes this.
  8. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Looking forward to your rebuild. Always fun to watch and learn from from the guys that have the talent to do these build outs.

Diesel for heat.

Good Luck!

goatram likes this.
  9. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    I'll always have a kicker! I'm gonna make this my dream but still in a reasonable price point.... if that's really a term. Please keep up the opinions

Calis and Nineball like this.
  10. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    What's the beam? Scale Weight?
    NR 2700 OS is standard with 200s

11. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    This is the pre 2001 hull which means a little less deadrise and no flat chines.... 2degree less at the transom. It's an 8'9" beam and I'm doing the hull extension swim step for the duals and going to put in a 180-200 gallon fuel tank. I currently don't have a dry scale weight on her. It will be a boat for family as my wife is my fishing partner.... and could out fish most men! It will be used mainly for the west coast of Vancouver island as well as se Alaska.... but yes I'll be looking to go get a few tuna. So now I get the rash as I brought tuna into this!

12. chumsalmon

chumsalmon Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    252 Grady White Sailfish "Kaisacole" & 2250 Stratos "All on Red"
    Jason,
    Cool project! Looking forward to following along. Another vote for separate heater stove units. I have a webasto on our boat, and is ducted as a defroster, as others have mentioned. Really nice feature, especially on those cold rainy winter blackmouth days when things tend to fog up!
    Btw, I've met you and your wife at the dock a few times in b'ham. Used to work with your wife's mom when I was land surveying.
    Keep the pictures of progress coming, she's going to be a sweet setup when done!

13. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    600HP seems a bit much for the size of boat but I have never heard anyone complain about too much power. What is the hull rated for?

14. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    The hull is rated at 600. The whole thing is weight. Once I move from the 200 4 cylinders up to a 225, 250 or 300 they are all within 30lbs of each other so I see no point in not going with the 300s.

15. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Merc 350s weigh just over 600lbs

16. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    For reference, I have a single 300 on my 26 NR OS. I suspect it may be a little heavier than your 98 Almar. It runs great fully loaded with ice, tuna, people. No issues at all. I get the desire for dual mains though. I bought my boat with a dual-main OS bracket just in case I change my mind someday.

Mike Chasin' Tail has dual 200s on his 27' NR OS and it goes like hell and he gets better performance than I do - despite being a bit heavier than my boat. He can run fine on just 1 of the 2 outboards.

-t

17. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Tony, this is really helpful information!!!!! How much fuel do you carry on board? What's your economy like with the single 300? Thanks again! Also is that a 25" or?

18. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    My boat has the larger fish box and smaller gas tank - 120gallon (though I consider it to be a 110). Day in and day out I average around 2.0MPG. Grinding back in shit weather it can drop a fair bit lower. In ideal puget sound conditions I can get a bit better.

My boat is a 26'. To back of the OS bracket it's 28'. NR listed the dry hull weight to be approx 5500. 102" beam.

-t

ModelSpecs.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  19. South Sounder

South Sounder Skipper

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    South Sounder
    dont overlook the fuel tank size. max that beyotch out just like the motors. ive never heard a complaint from someone who still had plenty of fuel reserves. people that run out or get to low flr comfort is a whole different story. dont be that guy.

i can easily burn 100 gallons flying around the straits with twin 250s in a matter of a few hours. theres plenty of fuel docks around to top off. at the tuna grounds theres only tow lines and the occasional jerry can.

blackelk likes this.
  20. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Chris, I couldn't agree more! That's what I'm doing first is putting a 200 gallon tank in the belly. What kind of boat do you have the 250s on?