Reaper Slow Pitch Jigs

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
Had a new friend try some reapers out down in La Ribera, Baja California Sur...

Pretty crazy stuff he sent me back! First try with the lightning ham and a freakin beast of a amberjack hooks up. I wish i was there! Super stoked. He launches with his trusty doggo and just messes up the fish on the slow pitch. Give him a look on ig, you won't regret it. @bajaslowpooch

D8904ECE-AD5F-461F-B87A-162D0CF7303F.JPG

6C03A73D-6F94-405F-8335-F2E3CA8C4FD2.JPG

B4561CBC-36DD-4A7B-A2B3-C2B055647158.JPG

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Had a new friend try some reapers out down in La Ribera, Baja California Sur...

Pretty crazy stuff he sent me back! First try with the lightning ham and a freakin beast of a amberjack hooks up. I wish i was there! Super stoked. He launches with his trusty doggo and just messes up the fish on the slow pitch. Give him a look on ig, you won't regret it. @bajaslowpooch

View attachment 1294478

View attachment 1294479

View attachment 1294480
    Wow! looks like you got a tussle, several times, some, real fun! 👍

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    That result your friend got is not at all surprising. It would be my first choice there. I fished that area a lot in the 80s and 90s. Sure wish I knew about SPJ in those days. It is a very diverse region that is loaded with big hungry fish if you know where to look.
    Early one morning we got into a massive school of spawning Jack Crevalle. There were 10s of thousands of them and we had them all to ourselves. 15# to 30# fish less than a mile off La Ribera. They hit anything that moved. It was too easy. I will never forget that sight as long as I live.
    And yes there are some really large AJs around that nobody even bothers targeting. Back in the 80s I got a 66# AJ on a 20# mono spinning set up. Talk about an ass whopping. :D
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
    That result your friend got is not at all surprising. It would be my first choice there. I fished that area a lot in the 80s and 90s. Sure wish I knew about SPJ in those days. It is a very diverse region that is loaded with big hungry fish if you know where to look.
    Early one morning we got into a massive school of spawning Jack Crevalle. There were 10s of thousands of them and we had them all to ourselves. 15# to 30# fish less than a mile off La Ribera. They hit anything that moved. It was too easy. I will never forget that sight as long as I live.
    And yes there are some really large AJs around that nobody even bothers targeting. Back in the 80s I got a 66# AJ on a 20# mono spinning set up. Talk about an ass whopping. :D
    Jeff

Sounds like a dream! Hopefully i can make it down there one day. Is it closer to la paz for San Jose del Cabo?

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    You should. It is a bit closer to SJC on the Sea of Cortez. It is known for Striped Marlin, YFT and Dorado. But there are lots of choices as far as game fish goes. Roosterfish...Wahoo early in the AM.....All sorts of Jacks as well as Pargo and Grouper. Going slightly north up into the Sea of Cortez will get you into some huge Dogtooth and Colorado snapper. Cabrilla and Leopard grouper too if you get away from the heavily fished areas.
    And then there is tons of small stuff as well. I could see most all of these responding well to slow pitch .
    Jeff

Reactions: Capt. Condor
    Upvote 0