Reaper Slow Pitch Jigs

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
Fine with me. We had a good day at sbi Saturday. 3 Lings, that was a nice red in pic. Current was ripping by 9:00. I had to switch to skinny fast drop jigs.

That’s awesome man, I’ve been dying to make it to SBI lately but the damn wind won’t let me. Glad you found a nice weather window.

Cheers!
-Connor

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Just got my Reaper jig. It screams quality -- the design, paint, and hooks are all top notch. Because I was a little concerned about a new business, I ordered only one. I wish I had ordered at least one of each color. I likely won't be able to use it until my June 8 day on the Rooster and will report back any success. I'm afraid to use slow pitch jigs up here because the rockfish won't leave them alone and rock fishing is essentially closed in SE Alaska.

It was pretty exciting seeing an order come in from Alaska! Glad it made it to you ok, I didn’t realize that rockfish was that closed up there... such a bummer, seems like a dream to SPJ in shallower water with such monster bottom fish around. Does it open up later in the year ?

-Connor

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Pelagic rockfish is still open in my part of the state -- but non-pelagic is closed. You can catch only one demersal shelf rockfish. It's been that was for a few years. The problem is that it's hard to catch only the pelagic rockfish; for example, quillback rockfish are among the most common we catch and often caught with pelagic several feet off the bottom. Quillbacks must be released. It's often hard to avoid rockfish when fishing for halibut. Boats are required to have a method to release rockfish at depth. My particular problem is that I used to be involved with fish regulation and read many of the studies on rockfish survival after deep release. The numbers aren't encouraging. I doubt they will liberalize rockfish anytime soon. I was always amazed at how tiny rockfish are when caught within a hour of population centers. That has to mean something...

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Pelagic rockfish is still open in my part of the state -- but non-pelagic is closed. You can catch only one demersal shelf rockfish. It's been that was for a few years. The problem is that it's hard to catch only the pelagic rockfish; for example, quillback rockfish are among the most common we catch and often caught with pelagic several feet off the bottom. Quillbacks must be released. It's often hard to avoid rockfish when fishing for halibut. Boats are required to have a method to release rockfish at depth. My particular problem is that I used to be involved with fish regulation and read many of the studies on rockfish survival after deep release. The numbers aren't encouraging. I doubt they will liberalize rockfish anytime soon. I was always amazed at how tiny rockfish are when caught within a hour of population centers. That has to mean something...

Yeah I always use my descending device and just kinda cross my fingers that it’s working... better than watching the birds go after the floaters.

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    I just ordered my classic English desert jig and took advantage of the BD discount.

Appreciate you making it a combo!

Fish love it as I’m finding out. 🇬🇧

47EB9613-041F-4B87-A1C1-36DCBBF02E13.jpeg

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Just placed an order.
    Missed the promo code.
    Oh well.
    Curious, being my wrists hurt when using SPJ technique, can I use them in the old jigging ways? Easier for my achy bones.
    Will try to post my experience.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Just placed an order.
    Missed the promo code.
    Oh well.
    Curious, being my wrists hurt when using SPJ technique, can I use them in the old jigging ways? Easier for my achy bones.
    Will try to post my experience.

Thanks for the order! Will be shipped out as soon as the post office opens tomorrow. I’ll throw in some extra assist hooks to make up for the promo.

As far as the wrist pain.... what is your rod and reel set up? One of the things I find so nice about SPJ is that it’s so light and easy on the arms.... especially compared to cranking up a 12oz sinker and a spinning rockfish from 300 on a broomstick.

A lot of my pals are fishing the jigs on standard bait casting/bait rods and reels and they’re still catching fish on them... just not as fun to me.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Hello Connor;
    A fishing buddy of mine ordered some of your jigs. He dropped by yesterday and gave me one of each. :D Good job on these and they make a very nice gift!!!!
    Can't wait to try them out on a brand new Palmarius 72-1 rod I just got. Should be fun stuff.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Hello Connor;
    A fishing buddy of mine ordered some of your jigs. He dropped by yesterday and gave me one of each. :D Good job on these and they make a very nice gift!!!!
    Can't wait to try them out on a brand new Palmarius 72-1 rod I just got. Should be fun stuff.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Jeff

Hey Jeff! Glad you got your hands on a couple jigs, we’ve had a ton of fun with them. Make sure to send me your fish pics!

Cheers,
    Connor

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Just got some "glamour shots" back for the bomber 160g, If anyone is curious about them and would like to take a peek. This first batch is almost sold out and currently working on a 3rd design. Really want to thank everyone on here for the support. Its been great making new SPJ friends here in Socal. We're not alone! haha

-Connor

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

mincloseup1.JPEG

mint_back.JPEG

mint_closeup2.JPEG

mint_front.JPEG

pink_back copy.JPEG

pink_CU_back.JPEG

pink_CU_front.JPEG

pink_front.JPEG

reaper ad_3.JPEG

Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Hey there fellow jiggers! My name is Connor, I've probably met a lot of you on the water either fishing or possibly towing you in! (current Boat US long beach captain) Over the past year and a half or so I became completely obsessed with SPJ here in CA, mostly fishing for rockfish and bass... I live and keep a boat with my boat partners here in San Pedro and fish locally at least once a week mostly PV, Cat and SBI. After finally pulling the trigger initially and spending the bucks on a proper SPJ rod and reel (then turned into several) and subsequently developing a drug like addiction to ordering new jigs I kept getting frustrated with the almost complete lack of jigs made in CA for CA. I either had to pay buku bucks to ship lures from japan or buy jigs from the florida guys that are great but just designed for a much different fishery than ours. I finally decided to make my own stuff that was made for our waters. After several phototypes this style of jig seemed to be the most versatile and productive, it has a bottom keel that gives the jig a very nice flutter on the sink and rigid steps on the top of the jig that make it jump erratically with jigged vertically. A lot of the other more "leaf" or "spoon" jigs have great action but tend to run away from the boat on the way down not keeping you completely vertical for as long as possible.

As of now were doing very small runs, 100 of each color design that i'm planning on keeping each design only to 100 jigs. Anyway, would love to nerd out with everyone about SPJ and hear what's been working for you. If you're curious about our jigs let me know what ya think! It's super exciting to see this completely new style of fishing develop on our coast. Cant wait to see where it will be in a few more years.

Here's some pics of some of the action we've been getting into lately with them.

Cheers!
    Connor

View attachment 1270866

View attachment 1270867

View attachment 1270868

View attachment 1270869

View attachment 1270870

View attachment 1270871

View attachment 1270872
    👍

Upvote 0