Reaper Slow Pitch Jigs

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
Fine with me. We had a good day at sbi Saturday. 3 Lings, that was a nice red in pic. Current was ripping by 9:00. I had to switch to skinny fast drop jigs.

That’s awesome man, I’ve been dying to make it to SBI lately but the damn wind won’t let me. Glad you found a nice weather window.

Cheers!
-Connor

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Just got my Reaper jig. It screams quality -- the design, paint, and hooks are all top notch. Because I was a little concerned about a new business, I ordered only one. I wish I had ordered at least one of each color. I likely won't be able to use it until my June 8 day on the Rooster and will report back any success. I'm afraid to use slow pitch jigs up here because the rockfish won't leave them alone and rock fishing is essentially closed in SE Alaska.

It was pretty exciting seeing an order come in from Alaska! Glad it made it to you ok, I didn’t realize that rockfish was that closed up there... such a bummer, seems like a dream to SPJ in shallower water with such monster bottom fish around. Does it open up later in the year ?

-Connor

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Pelagic rockfish is still open in my part of the state -- but non-pelagic is closed. You can catch only one demersal shelf rockfish. It's been that was for a few years. The problem is that it's hard to catch only the pelagic rockfish; for example, quillback rockfish are among the most common we catch and often caught with pelagic several feet off the bottom. Quillbacks must be released. It's often hard to avoid rockfish when fishing for halibut. Boats are required to have a method to release rockfish at depth. My particular problem is that I used to be involved with fish regulation and read many of the studies on rockfish survival after deep release. The numbers aren't encouraging. I doubt they will liberalize rockfish anytime soon. I was always amazed at how tiny rockfish are when caught within a hour of population centers. That has to mean something...

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Pelagic rockfish is still open in my part of the state -- but non-pelagic is closed. You can catch only one demersal shelf rockfish. It's been that was for a few years. The problem is that it's hard to catch only the pelagic rockfish; for example, quillback rockfish are among the most common we catch and often caught with pelagic several feet off the bottom. Quillbacks must be released. It's often hard to avoid rockfish when fishing for halibut. Boats are required to have a method to release rockfish at depth. My particular problem is that I used to be involved with fish regulation and read many of the studies on rockfish survival after deep release. The numbers aren't encouraging. I doubt they will liberalize rockfish anytime soon. I was always amazed at how tiny rockfish are when caught within a hour of population centers. That has to mean something...

Yeah I always use my descending device and just kinda cross my fingers that it’s working... better than watching the birds go after the floaters.

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    I just ordered my classic English desert jig and took advantage of the BD discount.

Appreciate you making it a combo!

Fish love it as I’m finding out. 🇬🇧

47EB9613-041F-4B87-A1C1-36DCBBF02E13.jpeg

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Just placed an order.
    Missed the promo code.
    Oh well.
    Curious, being my wrists hurt when using SPJ technique, can I use them in the old jigging ways? Easier for my achy bones.
    Will try to post my experience.

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Just placed an order.
    Missed the promo code.
    Oh well.
    Curious, being my wrists hurt when using SPJ technique, can I use them in the old jigging ways? Easier for my achy bones.
    Will try to post my experience.

Thanks for the order! Will be shipped out as soon as the post office opens tomorrow. I’ll throw in some extra assist hooks to make up for the promo.

As far as the wrist pain.... what is your rod and reel set up? One of the things I find so nice about SPJ is that it’s so light and easy on the arms.... especially compared to cranking up a 12oz sinker and a spinning rockfish from 300 on a broomstick.

A lot of my pals are fishing the jigs on standard bait casting/bait rods and reels and they’re still catching fish on them... just not as fun to me.

Reactions: pacificscout