Reaper Slow Pitch Jigs

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
Hey there fellow jiggers! My name is Connor, I've probably met a lot of you on the water either fishing or possibly towing you in! (current Boat US long beach captain) Over the past year and a half or so I became completely obsessed with SPJ here in CA, mostly fishing for rockfish and bass... I live and keep a boat with my boat partners here in San Pedro and fish locally at least once a week mostly PV, Cat and SBI. After finally pulling the trigger initially and spending the bucks on a proper SPJ rod and reel (then turned into several) and subsequently developing a drug like addiction to ordering new jigs I kept getting frustrated with the almost complete lack of jigs made in CA for CA. I either had to pay buku bucks to ship lures from japan or buy jigs from the florida guys that are great but just designed for a much different fishery than ours. I finally decided to make my own stuff that was made for our waters. After several phototypes this style of jig seemed to be the most versatile and productive, it has a bottom keel that gives the jig a very nice flutter on the sink and rigid steps on the top of the jig that make it jump erratically with jigged vertically. A lot of the other more "leaf" or "spoon" jigs have great action but tend to run away from the boat on the way down not keeping you completely vertical for as long as possible.

As of now were doing very small runs, 100 of each color design that i'm planning on keeping each design only to 100 jigs. Anyway, would love to nerd out with everyone about SPJ and hear what's been working for you. If you're curious about our jigs let me know what ya think! It's super exciting to see this completely new style of fishing develop on our coast. Cant wait to see where it will be in a few more years.

Here's some pics of some of the action we've been getting into lately with them.

Cheers!
Connor

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
Nice having someone give the spj making a try on the west coast. I grabbed one of each from you.

I’ll send you a pm of what has been working for me locally. Maybe give you some ideas for future prototypes.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Nice having someone give the spj making a try on the west coast. I grabbed one of each from you.

I’ll send you a pm of what has been working for me locally. Maybe give you some ideas for future prototypes.

Good luck
Hey thank you very much for that! Yeah send me a PM, I'd love to see what you've been jigging with. And keep me posted on what bites the reaper!

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Connor Doyle
Boat
Cool !
I grabbed a few. Will let you know how they work out. Need a shirt and stickers with that fun logo on them. 😄
Thanks man! Yeah, my gf is a excellent graphic designer as well as a terrific angler! She designed the logo and all the jig colors with me. Let me know what you catch!

-connor

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    I like her jig!

Reactions: Capt. Condor
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Very nice! Let us know when you produce some 220gr or heavier jigs.

It is very cool to see a west coast effort on this. Wouldn't surprise me to see more folks join in. It is a very fun way to fish. Makes our rockfishing a lot more enjoyable too.
    This year I am going to start targeting pelagics. Last fall we got into some large bonito one day on very light gear. What a gas that was. Yt and Tuna is the goal now.
    Good luck and have fun with it.
    Jeff

Reactions: Capt. Condor
    Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Very nice! Let us know when you produce some 220gr or heavier jigs.

It is very cool to see a west coast effort on this. Wouldn't surprise me to see more folks join in. It is a very fun way to fish. Makes our rockfishing a lot more enjoyable too.
    This year I am going to start targeting pelagics. Last fall we got into some large bonito one day on very light gear. What a gas that was. Yt and Tuna is the goal now.
    Good luck and have fun with it.
    Jeff
    Yeah my next size will be most likely a 220g as well as a 80g micro jig, some friends of mine are having a blast throwing the micro jigs off jettys, even got a few seabass that way.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Just wanna say thanks to everyone who bought a jig from us, made for a very exciting week after 9 months in the making! So thanks again! I'm shipping all orders on the same or next business day. They're also going to be for sale at Pat's Tackle in Alamitos Bay in LB. It's an pretty rad new tackle shop on the water (you can drive there as well) at the fuel dock in al bay. That's also where we dispatch our tow boats, so there's a good chance I'll be around to chat SPJ if you're there! Check out the shop regardless, really awesome set up.

Cheers!
    -Connor

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Fine with me. We had a good day at sbi Saturday. 3 Lings, that was a nice red in pic. Current was ripping by 9:00. I had to switch to skinny fast drop jigs.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Just got my Reaper jig. It screams quality -- the design, paint, and hooks are all top notch. Because I was a little concerned about a new business, I ordered only one. I wish I had ordered at least one of each color. I likely won't be able to use it until my June 8 day on the Rooster and will report back any success. I'm afraid to use slow pitch jigs up here because the rockfish won't leave them alone and rock fishing is essentially closed in SE Alaska.

Upvote 0