REAL-WORLD Strike Drag Setting PRO EX 30/2

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by geebee, Aug 3, 2018.

1. clemente_killa

clemente_killa Member: Team Hoo

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Pintail II
    I fish my EX30 at #23 at strike and have caught several tuna over 100 lbs. No cows for me on that reel yet. I use it as my #80.

geebee likes this.
  2. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    how are you fishing it at 80# - bait surface, sinkered, deeper jig?

i think you may have hit a 'butter zone' (as Scott called it) with the EX Pro as 80lb rig for 100-175lb tuna - i would be interested in an update how that worked out for you when you hook up on a 200-275 pounder

i have no doubt #23 at strike could boat an entry level COW tuna (200-250) - it is certainly a more manageable drag setting for stand up

and a small push of the lever to Full would likely put you at 28 pounds on the rail when you need it

clemente_killa likes this.
  3. clemente_killa

clemente_killa Member: Team Hoo

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Pintail II
    Unfortunately living in Utah I only get one or two trips in a year, so I haven't fished my EX30 a ton. I have however used it for a couple different purposes thus far on 4 or 5 trips. I've used it mostly on my SS 1x3 fishing for Bluefin off San Clemente. Caught two back-to-back last year, a #175 and #190 both on flylined macs with a rubber-band sinker. Of course they were a challenge to land, but never had any issues with drag or anything. I don't actually think I ever pinned it to full drag on either fish. The reel is smooth as butter (so yes, I'm probably in that 'sweet spot' zone).

Second, I've used it as a dropper loop and trolling reel on my 6463xxh. Never caught anything bigger than maybe #50 on this set-up, but it works well for both purposes.

Heading south in November, so if the cows are around, I'll surely give it a whirl on the 30. We'll see I guess.

geebee likes this.
  4. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    the irony here is i'm in San Diego and will be lucky to get two 1.5-day trips in this year - just waiting and saving for the bite, the moon and sic days to all line up

last year i got out on a 1.5-day big-tuna boat trip ("bring 80-lb gear") that fished off San Clemente Island, that gave me the fever again...