REAL-WORLD Strike Drag Setting PRO EX 30/2

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by geebee, Aug 3, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    i'm wondering what the highest-range optimum Strike drag setting would be for my Avet Pro EX 30/2 fishing reel from those who've actually fished small COW tuna with it (under 250lbs)

optimum is probably the max Strike drag setting this reel will fish 250 pound bluefin with and backing that off a few pounds for a more realistic sweet spot

note:
    i am setting the drag by pulling the rod under a full bend of load using a spring scale from a full spool - i'm not pulling the line directly from the reel

Post edit for short answer: SCOTT AT AVET CORP said 25-27 to 28lbs at Strike is the "butter zone" for EX 30 - drag set at full spool pulling on rod hooked to spring scale - he added, at 30lbs Strike the EX 30 belview washers are pretty much flattened out...

REEL:
    EX 30/2 (narrow not wide, two-speed not 30/3 three speed model) is spooled with 400 yards of 130lb solid Power Pro spectra braid with a 100lb fluorocarbon 6-9 foot leader connected with FG knot. And a San Diego knot connected to rigged barrel swivel to 150lb mono to Flat Fall

i may also forego the fluorocarbon and tie spectra with a double SD knot directly to the swivel

ROD:
    custom Calstar Grafighter 6ft GF 760H all AFTCO roller guides used stand-up on the rail

will be targeting 200-250lb bluefin in 2-day range of San Diego

this set up will serve as a dedicated 250gr FlatFall rig

however, 27 pounds at Strike it feels like 27lbs is pushing the limits of the reel design though i have no experience above 20lbs drag or bluefine above 130lbs - although Avet rates the EX 35lbs at Strike - i am looking for a sweet spot of max Strike drag setting the Avet EX 30 reel will fish regardless of the line breaking strength

i just posted my unbiased review of HX Raptor Vs Pro EX 30/2 reel

compare.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    You have everything to test. Crank the drag to max while still getting freespool. Figure out max and then go from there pending line size.

Or, just fish it at 27.

I think Alan Tani did a write up on this reel. Check his site.

Remember, reel MFGs use 1/2 -2/3rds full spool for drag ratings. It's probably more realistic and probably where you'll get bit.

3. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:

i could only find this alantani post on pro ex 4/0-2 from 2008

4. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:

that's a good clue - i'm sure - i don't have much confidence in my ability figure it out compared to someone who's already thought it out and fished it over time

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  5. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:

i am trying to form a
    procedure for setting my Strike drag setting - it's impractical for me to always run out a hundred yards of line to set/confirm my Strike drag poundage

in the case of this EX 30 reel (line challenged at 400 yards for 250-lb tuna)

if i set set my drag at 27lbs with spool 1/2-2/3 empty - would I have a not have a weak drag to that point (for the tuna to run out)?

at this point i need to figure out setting my Strike drag from a full spool...

6. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    i admit the theory behind drag specs and real-world drag performance baffles me

example:

if I set Avet's EX30/2 preset knob on a full spool to published specs: 35lbs Strike and 40lbs Full positions

does the 40 represent the EX30/2 MAXIMUM DRAG?

moreover, if 40lb is the reel's so-called max drag - does that mean the reel will not exceed 40 lbs drag as all 400 yards of line is removed by a hard-running tuna

in other words, a reel cannot exceed it's MAX DRAG poundage (40lbs in this example)?

in theory of course

7. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    It's all leverage around the spindle. With more line on the spool the moment about the spindle is larger. That requires less force to overcome the friction on the drag.

With less line on spool there is less distance to the spindle....less leverage. This requires more force to pull line off the spool.

1/2 full spool has about twice the drag....of a full spool.

Make sense?

Manufacturers want to sell the strongest reels and when a fish bites the spool is not full. So they take drag measurements at about 2/3 full. So if max drag stated as 100lbs, the drag at full spool will be roughly 66lbs.

geebee likes this.
  8. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    yes, if i followed what you wrote - a Strike poundage setting set when spool is full increases as the line winds off the reel

in your example - what do you think 100lbs max drag achieved at 2/3 full (66lbs at full spool) will be at near empty spool?

9. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    It proportional....for the most part.

So 150-160.

Basically 50-60% more drag and then there is also the added drag of line in the water.

10. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:

i also get the "added drag of line in the water"- tho i'm mostly
    looking for only the number of pounds of drag it takes to pull line off the reel at any given point

but you are saying, at least in theory:

if a reel has a so-called "Maximum Drag" rating of 100 lbs it can exceed that by 50-60 lbs in your example

at that point i would wonder what "max drag" specifications actually represent since max drag is being significantly exceeded in your example - the max drag poundage just keeps increasing as the line winds off until the line breaks or the drag fails

11. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    It's Max drag at 2/3 spool. Full spool less. Near empty more.

The drag wont fail...or shouldnt. It just takes more force to turn it the exact same. The forces at the drag plate are a constant.

12. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:

thanks for your patience i can have a thick skull when i don't understand something

on the EX 30/2 - i think Avet's (40lbs max drag, not their terminology) occurs wherever i set the pre-program (preset) knob to 35lbs at Strike lever position - whether at 2/3 or full spool

i'm going to be setting my Strike setting on a full spool - i'm trying to come up with an optimal Strike setting on my original scenario

13. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Your thinking too hard.

Fill your spool. Set your drag at 25% of weakest link at strike. Make sure you still have freespool.

Done.

14. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    that's great advice ... thank you

still wondering if anyone who has fished small cow tuna with an EX 30 with 100lb line what your drag Strike setting is at full spool

also, what is the highest drag at Strike an EX30 can realistically fish with 130lb line, for example

i'm thinking 25-27lbs as a starting point for 100lb
    but i may only get one 1.5-day trip this year to try my approach and that's if i get lucky enough to get bit on it...

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Curious, what makes you feel you’re pushing the limits of the reel design? Just got one myself. But it’s not right. Got it used, going to Ken’s.

16. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    A bit of real world input: I set my strike drag at 28# with a full spool and bent rod. It increases significantly when the spool is half full or less. This has worked well enough for me to catch several tuna over 150# and two over 200#.

geebee likes this.
  17. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    THANK YOU, that's exactly what i was looking for and gives me a couple more pounds in my tool

(i presume you are using the same EX30 reel)

18. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    gut instinct

i have MXJ 2-speed, and MXJ, JX, HX Raptors - they all have a similar feel to them cranking through the Bait-Strike-Full lever positions at my optimum drag settings

my EX 30/2 feels a bit different when cranked at set 30lbs drag (Bait lever setting has a bit more tension on the spool, for example) -- but then the EX clicks when cranking and all the others are silent - so it's a little different design

19. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    you know that's a pretty big clue after i thought about it

"It is the theory that decides what we can observe."

-Albert Einstein

20. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    i posed my question to Scott at Avet corporate

he said 25-27 to 28lbs at Strike is the "butter zone" for EX 30 - drag set at full spool pulling on rod hooked to spring scale

he said at 30lbs Strike, the EX 30 belview washers are pretty much flattened out...

he added to generally fish backed off Strike position until hook is set, then dial it up to Strike to fight fish - that makes a lot of sense especially using braid with circle hooks (ie, the fish sets the hook, not so much the fisherman)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018