Re power 77’ skipjack flybridge

Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
Picked up a 1977 skipjack FB that I’m looking to Repower. What is going to be my most cost effective option ?
Currently has v8 Volvo penta 570 that’s no good and a VP 280 outdrive that seems to be in ok condition.

what is my best option here and should i rebuild my outdrive or what outdrives am I able to replace it with , without having to re do my transom .

9663C2DB-89AD-4C30-BB66-CE814E7DB77E.jpeg

F976B9EC-8D0A-466F-8FD4-3B3C9924CF8C.jpeg

65FBFC59-BFF2-4C29-9605-5700391EE0F0.jpeg

CA0108BF-BFEC-4D33-9B30-23FCB2E094E9.jpeg

5D9A7F8B-ED8B-4654-9C60-BCAC1B753F19.jpeg

0D7D9FE2-7601-41F1-8421-E861B4D246D6.jpeg

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Best option depends on wallet size.... what are your planned uses of the boat? What shape are all of the other Components in? The electrical in the pics seems suspect. One can assume the rest of the boat is similar.....5–10-20k+???

Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
Best option depends on wallet size.... what are your planned uses of the boat? What shape are all of the other Components in? The electrical in the pics seems suspect. One can assume the rest of the boat is similar.....5–10-20k+???

I’m looking to be under 20 all in and uses are fishing The islands and chasing tuna

I plan on redoing all wiring all other engine components are shot

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Well I’m sure many will chime in... but u need to prioritize your funds.
Break it into systems

Power plant: engine/outdrive
Options are endless. Probably the cheapest would be to pull that motor and either rebuild or replace.. depending on your mech skills 3-7k ball park for motor

Electrical... hard to guess as this depends on all components of your build....lots of topics both old and new on this

Fuel supply: while your at it u should check the state of your fuel tank.

these three will tax your budget but will set u up for years of enjoyment if your tackle them now and do thing right.
this board will help u through the process as u provide more detail. Cool rig bye the way

Reactions: kevina

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
An example of a turnnkey replacement engine from a remanufactered block os about 8700

If your current add ons [carbs, pumps. Etc] are good and you can do the assembly you can get a reman block for a lot less.

Start by checking the tanks. If they are bad, you may not want to spend the money. Then check the outdrive. I would also inspect as much of the atringers as possible. Yiu dont want to open up the boat and take it apart and pay for a new motor only to find you need to do a bunch more work before you even think about the repower

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open

Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
Well I’m sure many will chime in... but u need to prioritize your funds.
Break it into systems

Power plant: engine/outdrive
Options are endless. Probably the cheapest would be to pull that motor and either rebuild or replace.. depending on your mech skills 3-7k ball park for motor

Electrical... hard to guess as this depends on all components of your build....lots of topics both old and new on this

Fuel supply: while your at it u should check the state of your fuel tank.

these three will tax your budget but will set u up for years of enjoyment if your tackle them now and do thing right.
this board will help u through the process as u provide more detail. Cool rig bye the way

thanks man

so I guess another question I have is wh
An example of a turnnkey replacement engine from a remanufactered block os about 8700

If your current add ons [carbs, pumps. Etc] are good and you can do the assembly you can get a reman block for a lot less.

Start by checking the tanks. If they are bad, you may not want to spend the money. Then check the outdrive. I would also inspect as much of the atringers as possible. Yiu dont want to open up the boat and take it apart and pay for a new motor only to find you need to do a bunch more work before you even think about the repower

Is Michigan motorz a reliable website ? Has anyone on here bought from them before ?

Johnnywood

Kooks only, no locals
Jun 2, 2017
Socal
Name
Johnny
Boat
Anderson 22
thanks man

so I guess another question I have is wh

Is Michigan motorz a reliable website ? Has anyone on here bought from them before ?

Most people buy motors from them for their repowers, myself included and I've had no issues.

Budget for Reman Motor and Outdrive
- 350 Motor (Reman) with carb, wiring, etc $10,000
- Bravo Outdrive (Reman) - $8,500
- Install of new Motor and outdrive - $2,000
- Fiberglass work for outdrive and motor mount - $1,500
- Boat Rewire (gauges, bilge, batteries, perko switch, GPS, VHF, Antennas) $4,500 +
- Gas tanks if they are bad ($1,500) for the tanks and ($2,000) for the glass work
- Then add $2,500 to all this to account for unseen issues, fittings, hardware, upholstery, etc
- If the trailer is shot - tires, bearings, winch, rust repair ($2500)

That puts you about $35,000 plus just to get that going

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodriguezfishing

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Yes I was referring to the fuel tank.

michigan motors is a reputable company. I have not used them so no first hand knowledge.

if u have some mech skills it will save u a boat load of loot as well as educate u on all of the inner workings of your boat

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
If you take your time , can learn to do alot of your own work , be patient and resourceful , you can get that thing in the water for under $20k no problem.
Probably not by summer , but in a year or more.
I did the same thing on an 85 Trophy 2460 in 1999 . Learned a ton . Was it better than buying a completed boat ? Maybe , maybe not. Satisfying to reincarnate something left for dead.
Got the whole thing done and discovered on my maiden voyage that the fuel tank leaked. Took it home and cut the deck.
You can do it , but be ready for some surprises for sure.
Good luck .

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
I bought my replacement motor from MichiganMotorz.com and it was a very smooth and legit process. I bought the silver package and added the other peripherals. Called them on the phone to put the order in and they were very helpful. One thing to consider is shipping. It is freight and I used my friends shop (with forklift) to get it unloaded from the truck.
btw, I too was sketched out wondering if they were good. Motor fired up first try!

Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
If you take your time , can learn to do alot of your own work , be patient and resourceful , you can get that thing in the water for under $20k no problem.
I did the same thing on an 85 Trophy 2460 in 1999 . Learned a ton . Was it better than buying a completed boat ? Maybe , maybe not. Satisfying to reincarnate something left for dead.
Got the whole thing done and discovered on my maiden voyage that the fuel tank leaked. Took it home and cut the deck.
Good luck .
Good luck .

Thanks man , yea that’s what I was thinking I’ll take my time and do it right. Ima go thru everything and take it step by step. I plan on doing most of the work myself with exception of installing the motor/outdrive. I will also make sure to take a close look at my gas tank as I wouldn’t want to have the same issue lol .
I hope to have her done by next summer

Reactions: soul troller
Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
I bought my replacement motor from MichiganMotorz.com and it was a very smooth and legit process. I bought the silver package and added the other peripherals. Called them on the phone to put the order in and they were very helpful. One thing to consider is shipping. It is freight and I used my friends shop (with forklift) to get it unloaded from the truck.
btw, I too was sketched out wondering if they were good. Motor fired up first try!

Oh that’s good to know ! Do you mind me asking who installed it for you ? And how long have you had it now

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
FYI -
Since you are on a tight budget , that 280 is a great drive if you have it gone thru / pressure tested , and then maintain it ( Change exhaust and drive bellows every couple years ) It's not hard to remove intermediate and lower to take in if something goes south. Saves big $$ . Gimbal bearing / output shaft & bearings are a different animal , but you have that all looked at or replaced while its sitting there.
Parts are getting harder to find , but not impossible. Goes back to that patience and resourcefulness thing.
They are pretty bullet proof , unless you are going to put high horsepower to them .
Just my opinion after having one for 20 years.

Reactions: Arima-bob

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Some of these guys are funny! If the outdrive is in good shape, you could have that thing on the water with 5k or less if you do most the work yourself. Keep an eye out for running used engines too. They come up now and then

Reactions: Rodriguezfishing

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
Oh that’s good to know ! Do you mind me asking who installed it for you ? And how long have you had it now
Did it all myself. Had Kapdan (an old member here) drive down from OC with his crane truck and hoist it up and in (30 min process) and paid him $150. I did this in 2012, all good, sad thing is I've only put 180hrs on the motor, since then, life and kids have gotten in the way. I did spend some time swapping bolts and painting things to avoid rust, then sprayed a layer of Boeshield over everything, still looks like new.

Reactions: SD2600

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
Canyon Country CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
24 Skipjack "Catchit"
I picked up a used duel prop lower unit for my 280 made a great improvement on my Skipjack.
I would change the gas tank for sure those old tanks don’t like the new fuel Alcohol blends causes the varnish to flake off the inside of the tank plugs up everything

travisacrey

Jun 11, 2015
Name
travis
Boat
tracker magna 19
I just finished a 76 FB with a complete repower and new tank. New paint and interior. All new wiring. I might have some good pointers. 9515657156 Travis

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
I've got a carbed VP long block and 280 outdrive with mint internals that has all new seals. The outdrive hasn't hit the water. The long block was 600 hours from Michigan.