psient

Sep 22, 2020
SoCal
Name
Jon Mettrick
Boat
none
Hello:

I am 70 recovering from major surgery doing ok. Being physically active is part of it, hence sportfishing. The last trip I made was in the late 70s on a charter we put together, my boss and our crew.

H & M Landing:

My trip on the Legend was cancelled but I parlayed that into another, longer trip. Thnks to H&M!

I am going on the Top Gun 80's 2.5 day on 10/6. I have heard this boat is not 'customer oriented' but don't know what that means. I am prepping but not considering myself capable.

How is the crew and the guys that do the trip about considering the status of a new-to-sportfishin' enthusiast? I certainly don't consider myself a liability and have been trying to glean pertinent info. Bought rods and reels, no baitcasting experience but see that live bait may not be a problem. Plus I can always practice at home. Tackle and other requirements, following H&M website recs. My main concern is my lack of experience cutting me out. If nothing else I can watch and learn.

Not trying to mix things up. I respect the integrity of all on this forum.

Thanks

Reactions: Abusaade

Paul Ortiz

Sep 26, 2018
Truckee
Name
Paul
Boat
2000 Monterey Montura
TG 80 is a really nice boat. You'll have a state room and its a comfortable ride. Since it's your first trip in a while I'd stick to live bait and avoid tossing irons on the bow. You'll just need to fly line and possibly use a sinker rig. The main thing is to have a 25 lb set up, 40lb, and possibly a flatfall rig to use at night but check before the trip if you need one (rent it). The crew is there to help. On the way out ask them about knots, have them check your drag, and rig you up before you get there. Always ask questions.

When you get into a good bite change your bait every 30 sec - 60 sec with a lively bait. Follow your line around the boat so you don't get tangled. If your bait doesn't swim right away get a new one. Good luck!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
As you board the boat, let the deckies know you’re new to the sport (don’t count on knowledge from 40+ years ago) and slip them a Benjamin. They’ll take care of you.

If they don’t take care of you and leave you high and dry, come back and post a rant. We’ll sharpen the pitch forks.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
The skipper is kind of a Dick. Don’t take it personally, a Dick will be a dick. Enjoy yourself, don’t stress about the fishing part, roll with it and have fun

Reactions: psient

psient

Sep 22, 2020
SoCal
Name
Jon Mettrick
Boat
none
TG 80 is a really nice boat. You'll have a state room and its a comfortable ride. Since it's your first trip in a while I'd stick to live bait and avoid tossing irons on the bow. You'll just need to fly line and possibly use a sinker rig. 25 lb set up, 40lb, and possibly a flatfall rig to use at night but check before the trip if you need one (rent it). Good luck!

psient

Sep 22, 2020
SoCal
Name
Jon Mettrick
Boat
none
Thanks for the words. I watched YouTube and know that the Captain has to see himself as aggressive for some reason. Aggression here is social, That I can handle easily. It is really difficult to be competitive and not assert in a rude and hopelessly lame manner.

Knows fishing so no challenge. A legit fellow without the pressure of quota or extreme danger. A self made guy so more power to him.

Reactions: Peg North

psient

Sep 22, 2020
SoCal
Name
Jon Mettrick
Boat
none
The skipper is kind of a Dick. Don’t take it personally, a Dick will be a dick. Enjoy yourself, don’t stress about the fishing part, roll with it and have fun

I know. Stay out of the way and use it to be ok. One thing though. Self confirmation means guys that like this boat will understand it confirms their view of themselves as good sports guys.

They know without this captain they'd be catching bottom rockfish. I appreciate his expertise and the way he collars the trip seems good. Thnks for the kind words

Sawmill killer

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
You'll be fine as you're not the crew hahaha. Scotty and Bob are really hard on their deck hands but put you on fish and want people to catch as much fish as possible. They're salty dogs but get the job done.

The boat's got a really nice interior especially the staterooms and very clean inside and out. The side rails are tight, knee pads might be a good idea especially if the weather looks sporting or if guys don't know how to move out of the way.

Bring a knife to bleed your fish after it's gaffed as they do not.

Bring multiple 25-30lb live bait set ups so you don't have to always re-tie after every fish....nothing worse during a short hot bite. Get to know the SD Jam knot for tieing on your bait hooks well in advance.

psient

Sep 22, 2020
SoCal
Name
Jon Mettrick
Boat
none
I have been drifting the way of your comments. I didn't know about the pads, thanks. Watched tying the SDJK several times. I also used H&M tackle rec.

How do you 'bleed' a tuna? I understand about the lactic acid. If the hands do not do it, how do you ensure the fish are bled BEFORE storage? Do you wait for the boat to transit?

I wish there was another site to look at tackle and what you need to wear, use to clean up with, gloves, etc.

The Captain is busy doing his duty while the load tries to keep up. I don't want to get into the way. Who do I tip in order to show I really need help to learn the basics. A deck hand? Is there a lead hand who will l move to watch me a little; not hand-holding. I don't want to make it so obvious. I have gone on a charter before, but not alone. I will not know anyone so i guess I know everyone the I same. Thanks much. I want to use fishing to stay physically active and so continue improving health-wise! Thanks

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
I have been drifting the way of your comments. I didn't know about the pads, thanks. Watched tying the SDJK several times. I also used H&M tackle rec.

How do you 'bleed' a tuna? I understand about the lactic acid. If the hands do not do it, how do you ensure the fish are bled BEFORE storage? Do you wait for the boat to transit?

I wish there was another site to look at tackle and what you need to wear, use to clean up with, gloves, etc.

The Captain is busy doing his duty while the load tries to keep up. I don't want to get into the way. Who do I tip in order to show I really need help to learn the basics. A deck hand? Is there a lead hand who will l move to watch me a little; not hand-holding. I don't want to make it so obvious. I have gone on a charter before, but not alone. I will not know anyone so i guess I know everyone the I same. Thanks much. I want to use fishing to stay physically active and so continue improving health-wise! Thanks
Do yourself a favor and go for walks every day , its your life and only YOU can improve it , it takes a little bit of muscel to keep upright on a rocking boat and you dont want to fall over ! Have fun and catch lots of fish !

Sawmill killer

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac

I sent you a private message

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
If you live in SD or close by, haunt the landing. Nice place for a walk, healthy fresh eats, cupppa coffee, etc. ask a ton of questions of the guys in the shop. Look around in each of the shops and ask questions.

When I’m in town, I check the websites or call to see which boat is coming in when, and then get up early and hustle on down there. If you see the TG 80 unload, just watch to see who is in charge. there will be lots of folks going out and you can find some great intel.

As I get older, I’ll tend to do some sideways shuffling well before trips, like those old basketball drills, to solidify my base a bit. Helps. And I practice casting at the park.

have fun!!!!!

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
Also this on YouTube. Search “how to bleed a tuna.” Note: be careful of your cutter on a busy rolling deck. Box cutter with minimal extension on the blade Has worked fine for me.

B7DCB65D-7CFA-4890-9D1F-D3AE8DB434AC.jpeg

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
maybe next time You should ask these questions before you book a trip... Good Luck have fun...