Re-gearing up, from scratch.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by locvetter, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have caught lots of cows on my Mak 30's and 20's with 130# no issues with drag I fish my 20's and 30's with between 30# to 32# at strike......and I don't have to haul around a big 50....and I find that fly lining a sardine with a Mak 20 is way more effective than on a Mak 50......but hey to each their own.

Anglewood, Bill W, Olddog8 and 6 others like this.
  2. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    I use the Mak 20’s for flyline, mak16’s for scratch bite. 50’s for big bait and chuncks.

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I pull off the reel without a rod bend when setting the drag. The short answer is as much as i can handle. the long answer is 80#=27 100#=29 130#=32 150#=35 200#=38

The reason for 38 with 200# is a huge hook and that is all i can handle and move around the boat and the reason for 80 or 100# being lighter is not anything more than the hooks are smaller and i gotta be smooth and gentile with that size hook. The 150# usually has a big hook.

4. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Bill, see you next week

locvetter and Bill W like this.
  5. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    after my last red rooster trip/ I will now fish a sardine with a 50 or 50 wide that has been supercustomed by cal when drift fishing or sinker rig fishing only. but anchor fishing in a scratch bite I am watching what fishy is doing and what he is fishing with and then I watch David to see how he is rigged up

locvetter likes this.
  6. locvetter

locvetter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Very helpful! So ahead for me yet is to check and recheck the settings that Alan put on my new reels, and I have a big jig for that, and then - probably more importantly, get a feeling for what this old man can handle.
    My impression has been - from prior trips - that I can handle less when the fish is "out there" than when the fish is "down there" and I can sit on the rod butt and enjoy my granny gear.

7. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    New box ready to play with in my home tackle area. Just moved it today from the shop. Will be building a base, so I can use on the deck without bending to the floor to do so.

Already discovered glitches - like the latch for the front door blocks the way for a 3700 size 2" box -- . Got that one solved. New box front smaller.jpeg New box open smaller.jpeg Spalted maple side and launchersmaller.jpeg New box rear detail smaller.jpeg Waiting to catch other problems before putting on the final finish.

The base will be about 10" high and have three more rocket launchers, behind.

The overall footprint including the launchers, is 19.5 x 10.5", so smaller than my old SKB (25" x 12"). Weighs a bit more, but I will be driving, so airline weight is not an issue, and once I have it on the boat, weight is not a big factor.

I used a drawer instead of the more typical lift top, because I wanted to be able to put stuff on top.

Very much a learning experience. Would do a lot of things a bit differently if I built another, but likely this will last as long as need be.

Suggestions welcome!

2tuna likes this.
  8. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Are the slides for the drawer stainless steel? If so, where did you get it?

locvetter likes this.
  9. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Cubeye likes this.
  10. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    As you could see from the pics above, the tackle box came out a bit tall and smallish footprint -- An SKB is 25 x 12, mine is 19 x 10.5.
    Question: I am building a base - to make it high enough to use when on the deck, and, importantly, make it more stable. I have cut the wood, and like the design. Am worried about size. If it is on the deck, is 25 x 16, including rocket launchers and everything too big for a boat like the RP with only 18 people along??

cecritz likes this.
  11. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I have been PM'ing with Jeff with pictures, but thought I'd ask here also. Any advice welcome.
    Rummaged through my wood and found a piece of 8/4 walnut that happened to be 12" at the top with a grain curve that was 16" at the bottom. Re-sawed it, for the end pieces. The rest is Mahogany. One of the rubber feet is seen in this shot.

[​IMG]

The three spaces fit a 3 1/2 3700 series box (My box of wahoo jigs is heavy). It actually slides back a bit further, to keep it out of direct rain. The lower on will be a box for weights, and the high one is for two rolls of trolling lures (also heavy).

[​IMG]

Plan is to have the main box sit on this base pretty far forward, leaving about 1 1/2" clearance for rods in the rocket launchers that will be mounted on the rear. They will be up just far enough to drain. As low as possible to help center of gravity.

[​IMG]

The ruler is 2' plus a 1/4" hook on one end.

Of course the edges will all be quarter rounded. Have not decided how to secure the main box to the base - probably corner blocks, but on the inside of the rectangular feet of the main box. Then maybe a ratchet, or tie down.

12. mcrae

mcrae Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    How do you carry, watch, and store all that gear on a trip? I would think it would get heavy and hard to keep an eye on.

13. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    It will go from my car to the boat and back. I've never had a lock on a box - knock on wood, have never lost anything, (well, one pair of duckbill piers, but I still think someone mistook them g=for their own.) There are a few stories pilfering, but few enough that I choose not to add that to the worry list.

Bigger problem is that with advancing age recalling what I have and exactly where it is... One of the reasons for the larger box is not so much to carry more, but to organize. (?).

This trip I am prepping for is an 18 day trip with only 18 passengers, likely all experienced. (Or is that just wishful?)

14. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Geez keep an eye on your tackle, you gotta sleep sometime. I’ve never had a problem, if you need something the boat should have it or the other passengers will help you out if you ask unless you’re a butthead.

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  15. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Pete,
    As I read lots of threads here, and in my own experience, there are those that can and prefer to have their own stuff. That would be me. Their might be the rare thief, but, while upsetting, it would not be shattering.

I'd like to be the guy that people ask for something, and I have what they need. There is a bit of a vicarious thrill of involvement when someone gets a nice fish using something I could provide.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    egarratt, Anglewood, potuna and 4 others like this.
  16. solid72

solid72 "Fishhard"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Some day. I'll hustle to fish on yours.
    Such a true statement.

locvetter likes this.
  17. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So this morning I was in San Diego for my 50th HS class reunion. Happened to be that the RP was turning over between trips, so I got permission and went aboard to photo and measure the tackle storage situation.

No doubt, I will not get, and therefore am planning to not use any shelf space that could accommodate rocket launchers. I am planning on leaving m box on the deck, as I did last time on the boat.

For any that are interested:
    There are two 73" shelves behind the benches. This is actually one huge flat area (I had never seen it without gear on it), but the whole area, counting under the midship launcher rack, is about 73 x 42, with about 17" clear on either side from overhead obstruction, so I am calling these two shelves, each 73 x 17.

Between the benches copy.jpg

The shelf parallel to the salon bulkhead that is out from under the overhang is 44" x 15".

Salon bulkhead shelves.jpeg

So that should be a total of 8 +/- SKB size boxes with launchers.

For shelves that are nice and tall but without overhead clearance for launchers:
    The rack on the salon bulkhead has three shelves, the bottom and top ones are more than 24" tall, so one could open the top of an skb style box. These are each 64" long, so three (for SKB without launchers (19"), or big Shimano (18"), or the big Okuma roller which is 16 tall and 19.5" wide with its rod tubes unfilled).

The shelves aft of those are 44" wide, and one of those could accommodate big boxes (2 of them).

Shelves rear of salon.JPG

So that is a total of 8 with launchers and 8 without rods in launchers.

Incidentally, the lip on the edges of all the shelves is the sam, at just under one inch.

Artois likes this.
  18. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    On the other side of the entry there's a shelf that'll fit a couple more boxes without rod holders.

locvetter likes this.
  19. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    this is al I saw there. I thought that is where people put their fold up chairs - or it was on the last trip I went on. Do people put boxes there?

Port of entry.jpeg

20. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    That’s where mine and others were on my trip.

locvetter likes this.