Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Prepping for Long Range, from Scratch – again

Could have been a great trip, in February 2016. I was so looking forward to returning to Clarion, after 29 years away! Great bunch of Alaskans on the Intrepid. But …

During the trip I felt bad. Could not quite say what it was, but my stamina was way down (Not that I was ever very fit). There were plenty of fish. All but a few days were very calm. So, it was not seasickness or boredom.

When I had been home for a couple of weeks, I still felt bad. Wrote to my doc. He did some blood work. You know you are in trouble when your doc calls and asks you to bring your wife to an appointment - - and he schedules the appointment right-a-way.

Thought my fishing days were over. Sold all my stuff. (Thanks Dan, and congratulations on your cow this year!)

Now, about two years later, lots of tubes and infusions in the rearview mirror – hey, I could go fishing!

One spot left on the JB 18 dayer on the RP next January! Loving wife says: “OK.” Done.

A disadvantage to being fiscally irresponsible is spending more than you really should, then having to scramble to figure it out. However, when you have done that for several decades you can get good at spending what you want, and then figuring it out later. It is doable. Therefore: Gearing for potentially the trip of a lifetime: – Figuring out what the dream bunch of stuff would be and going for it. I find gearing up great fun.

My decision making has been importantly influenced by:
    · Having ocean fished for about 58 years (since age 9, first Clarion trip ’86).
    · Lurking on this and several other forums. The generosity of so many, sharing hard earned opinions is wonderful!
    · Fishordie Jamie Massion,
    · Timmy Doyle (my rod builder – wow that sounds special), and
    · Alan Tani, the pretty-much objective analyst of and repository for bottomless buckets of facts, who’s aesthetics are questionable, as he loves old gold over new blue, and who was trusted to load the Makairas and the AVET with The Tani Technicolor watch-it-disappear system. Thank you all!

This post will be, maybe, multipart. I had intended to write first about rods and reels and lines. I am glad to have plenty of time to prepare, as getting what I want has proven not so straight forward – I’m not the only guy that has decided this is the right stuff – so things sell out or are hard to find. I will have to show a photo of my quiver later, as it is not yet all collected. Here is what I have decided to go with:

Please: Condemn, commend or suggest tweaks. There is still plenty of time.

Blue are for Wahoo, Yellow for Yellowfin
    upload_2018-4-21_19-57-31.png

I might add a new Penn VISX

One nice thing: I did not sell/ dispose of a bunch of throwing and trolling jigs and lures. I have always tended to accumulate that next jig that surely will be magic. Here is what I took a photo of today. You will notice some old stuff like a Pescadore head. I had forgotten I had not sold my PL68’s and JRI 8’s, and had stored them in both the rolls and a box – so now I could almost outfit the entire boat -there are a total of 12 of them. (And I have another, with bad finish, from which I removed the hook and use for casting practice.)
    upload_2018-4-21_19-58-23.jpeg

upload_2018-4-21_19-59-8.jpeg

Later, unless severely flamed, decisions on hooks, trolling lures, casting jigs and lures, top-shots and leaders. Still later: the dream box – a home built replacement for my sold SKB. And finally: a distillation of the various checklists already published here and elsewhere. (I have been a conscientious lurker for some years.)

Suggestions most welcome. Always learning: Today I learned that when i put those 36 casting jigs in one box they do fit, but I can hardly lift it. Has anybody tried the perforated Plano 3700 series boxes??

Thanks for viewing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Welcome back, the only thing I would do is possibly trade the Mak 30 for another 20. I think you cover the line capacity well with your 50's and won't need the 30. You Mak 16 will fish 80lb easy as well, load it with 100lb Hollow with a loop and you can switch your wind on leaders pretty quick

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Sounds like you may just want to use rental gear for future trips. That's an awful lot of gear to buy for what could be a a small number of trips. Unless you got a ton of money to waste, than go ahead

Reactions: RichG and locvetter
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Welcome back, the only thing I would do is possibly trade the Mak 30 for another 20. I think you cover the line capacity well with your 50's and won't need the 30. You Mak 16 will fish 80lb easy as well, load it with 100lb Hollow with a loop and you can switch your wind on leaders pretty quick
    I would have bought two 20's but I could not find one in blue and rationalized that the added capacity of the 30 might be good for the long mono topshot for trolling.
    Alan Tani believes the 30 is a reel without a role: Not enough drag for 130, too big for 100.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I would have bought two 20's but I could not find one in blue and rationalized that the added capacity of the 30 might be good for the long mono topshot for trolling.
    Alan Tani believes the 30 is a reel without a role: Not enough drag for 130, too big for 100.

I have two 20’s and a 30. Hind sight being 20/20 I would probably buy a 50 now instead. I think the 30 will fish a 130lb top shot fine though. Lots of options out there and opinions to pull from which is great

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Loc welcome back to long range fishing. I was on the trip you were on. You fixed up Denny's hand really good. I also still wear my t-shirt you made for everyone on the trip. Your a great guy. As far as gearing up again you got this brother. Already some good post from other anglers. I myself fish Mak 20-30 and 50's..... I have no need for a 16 on a long trip. Great to see you back.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Welcome back and glad you'll be able to get out and enjoy your other passion. You have quite a line up. Have you acquired all those set ups or is that what your are considering. Your wife if very generous and letting you buy that much gear at one time. It's easier for me to sneak one or two at a time. "Why do you need so many rods, you only can fish one at a time."

Anyway if this is your wish list. I'd use some of your lighter stuff for duel duty. Like the Sabiki and you wahoo bait set up. Do you really need a kite and trolling rig? Most boats have them or you can borrow someone's. I don't usually take a specific 60 or 80 pound on my long trips, though have wind on in my bag. As someone said you can always rent some gear. I know having your own is important but you need to think how often will you be going out.

You can always put lighter line on a heavy rod but not visa versa.

Just my 2 cents. Welcome back. Oh and that's a great collection of Jigs, Bomb, etc. Doubt you need more there.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Great that you’re able to get back in the game. Nice collection of lures.

If (A) money is not an issue, or (B) you’ve already purchased all of those rod and reel setups, you can stop now, you’re good. For me, certainly underutilized would be the Mak 16SEa as I feel it’s capable of much more than fishing 60 lb. I know there are some who feel a need for separate outfits for trolling, fishing Skipjack baits, chunking, kite and PL68’s and if that’s your thing, go for it. I’m on the thrifty side of tackle purchasing and like to multi task an outfit. For example, once the morning Skipjack rodeo is over, I find it convenient to cut off the big 7691 hook and tie on a chunk leader.

Welcome back!

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Loc welcome back to long range fishing. I was on the trip you were on. You fixed up Denny's hand really good. I also still wear my t-shirt you made for everyone on the trip. Your a great guy. As far as gearing up again you got this brother. Already some good post from other anglers. I myself fish Mak 20-30 and 50's..... I have no need for a 16 on a long trip. Great to see you back.
    Soda Pop,
    I remember you warmly, particularly the trip down recreation, your explaining from personal experience that a 4/0 is plenty big for a Cow, the huge Jobu for your big bait early morning rig,... . I was watching everything you did fishing.

The 16 is actually for a shorter trip I am taking with rod friends in August - yellowtail in mind.

Thanks for responding!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Soda Pop,
    I remember you warmly, particularly the trip down recreation, your explaining from personal experience that a 4/0 is plenty big for a Cow, the huge Jobu for your big bait early morning rig,... . I was watching everything you did fishing.

The 16 is actually for a shorter trip I am taking with rod friends in August - yellowtail in mind.

Thanks for responding!

Yep when the bait is small I have no problem fishing a super mutu owner 4/0 circle hook. I have a 255-270 and a 288 with those 4/0 hooks.

Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
    Sep 19, 2005
    La Quinta
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Love this thread, am excited to read the ongoing as you finish out the set up. Timmy Doyle has built 7 rods for me as did somewhat the same thing on a smaller level, please post those picks when He gets those done. I mihht that the help and advice from many on this board was a great help, which I appreciate to this day.
    Thanks

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Yep when the bait is small I have no problem fishing a super mutu owner 4/0 circle hook. I have a 255-270 and a 288 with those 4/0 hooks.
    Soda Pop,

I'll admit it -- I did/do not know what 255/270 or 288 are --
    You may be interested to know that a google search reveals, among a lot of other things like Asteroid names, etc, the following:

Scholarly articles for 255-270 fishing
    Impact of submerged macrophytes on fish‐zooplanl … - ‎Schriver - Cited by 461
    Loss of genetic diversity due to fishing pressure - ‎Smith - Cited by 239
    Bridging solubility between drug discovery and … - ‎Di - Cited by 153

As I recall a Seeker 270 is like a 15 to 20 lb bait stick. Little light, even for the highly experienced. What are you talking about??

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Soda Pop,

I'll admit it -- I did/do not know what 255/270 or 288 are --
    You may be interested to know that a google search reveals, among a lot of other things like Asteroid names, etc, the following:

Scholarly articles for 255-270 fishing
    Impact of submerged macrophytes on fish‐zooplanl … - ‎Schriver - Cited by 461
    Loss of genetic diversity due to fishing pressure - ‎Smith - Cited by 239
    Bridging solubility between drug discovery and … - ‎Di - Cited by 153

As I recall a Seeker 270 is like a 15 to 20 lb bait stick. Little light, even for the highly experienced. What are you talking about??
    He's saying how much the tuna weighed that he caught. Lol 255lb 270lb

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Question: Advice from someone who's opinion is experienced based says
    that's right
    Soda Pop,
    So many variables. Would you share: Ringed or not? Crimp or knot? Does it make a difference if you are using 130# or 100# as to your knot or crimp?

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Ringed hooks always for me. Lets the bait swim natural. Knot for 100 lb and 130 lb. crimp is old school but it still has a place for kite fishing.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    I would want to have at least 2 3x5 type rods with man 50s,for the 1-1 gear for big fish fishing/ the 300+ fish can bottom everything else out and then you cannot move them and you are at risk of failure increases the longer you are on them.
    then I would want to have at least 2- 2x4 type rods with a man 20 for max free spool for sardine fishing/ that would be your minimum

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I'm back. Today I took possession of the Makaira SEa II's for this trip. As listed above, there are more line holding devices scheduled to come along, but here is a shot of the 5 pretty Blue Makaira SEa II, all gone over and lined by Alan Tani -- with his progressive technicolor panic system: Blue-White-Blue-White-Green-Yellow-Red. 100 yards each. The Penn Senator 16/0 is included just for comparison. It holds the same 1000 of 130 that we have on the 50W. Interesting (or maybe not so) that the 50W has the reel model etched in the opposite direction from all the others - likely because of the top bar.

IMG_8583.JPG

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Jim,
    Of interest: Now that I have played a bit with the reels, that arrived last week, I note a give/take on the non-click retrieve on these Maks. The free spool is not quite so free. As explained to me, the spring for the new antireverse must be stronger than the little pawl springs. Always trade-offs in life. Now I can attribute my shorter casts with lighter baits to the reel, and not my skill. My understanding is that the SEa lever drags were not designed to be casting reels, but shine when fighting a fish.

Hopefully, we shall see.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0