The American Tackle Company

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I picked up an early Silaflex,Harnell and Contender that need re-wrapping and want to re-finish the blanks. I've tried varnish and flex-coat before even rubbing the flex coat in with my fingers on some other blanks in the past but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I picked up an early Silaflex,Harnell and Contender that need re-wrapping and want to re-finish the blanks. I've tried varnish and flex-coat before even rubbing the flex coat in with my fingers on some other blanks in the past but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have used Minwax Spar Urethane in clear gloss on beat up Harnell rods with success. Not perfect but good enough. Sand the blank very lightly with 400 wet sandpaper first. Wipe the sanding residue clean. Then spray lightly with two coats of the urethane. There are other products out there but this is what works for me.

Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat
on to the next one
I use cp xtra. If you go to Oreilly auto they have wet sand paper up to 2000k grit I liked the strip pack, comes with assortment of grits. I then use 3k grit for second coat
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat
on to the next one
Which Harnell did you find?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Which Harnell did you find?
Doesn't have a number on it, 8' two piece spinning rod kinda of a buggy whip. It's in decent shape just needs guides and sanding the cork. I got it to keep the other ones company. The Silaflex is pretty cool BS80p but a total train wreck,8' maybe 30-40 I'm thinking getting it back looking original factory style but probably a wall hanger. Getting a decal might be an issue.
Thanks for the help everyone, the video killed it

Reactions: Cy Bodden
Upvote 0