Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
How do you prepare your razor clams? I did a forum search and didn't find anything.

Although I will be looking for a whitetail this weekend, I always hit the beach when the digs happen and have a vacuum packed portion of chopped meat ready to go. With the longer hours of darkness, there is plenty of time to cook something up good at deer camp.

Any suggestions?

NW Dex

In Training
Dec 11, 2011
Auburn WA
Name
Greg
Boat
Outer Limits/22 Olympic
If you're in Chinook, stop at the Roadhouse for their clamchowder it more stew like with bacon and whole clams. It's a regular stop for us now:-)

Reactions: Odin7

PNWMatt2016

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Once cleaned, I throw a paper towel around the meat in a 1 gallon zip lock bag, and then proceed to take a rubber mallet and pound them into submission. Loosening them up a little bit. Then I'll either dust them with ground ritz crackers and lawrys and bake or fry them..Otherwise new england clam chowder, but I fine chop the meat before I add in!

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
I'm going to make this one for dinner tonight while still at the house. A bowl of hot chowder is just the ticket to take the chill off this evening.

I'll get Garrett's recipe together to take with me. I like the idea of doing the prep work for that one in my kitchen and finishing it in the field.

With one package of clams left, I'll save those to cook up when my daughter and future son in law come in from North Carolina for turkey day, probably picking from one of the other suggestions.

Good eats!

Kettel O' Fish

Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
Pan fry in hot oil....dip in beat egg, roll in Krusteaz or panko....fry quickly on both sides until brown. Homemade tarter sauce (graded pickle/relish/onion powder/Worcester sauce/pickle juice). My dad is rolling over in his grave with the chowder ideas...that old German loved his fried clams! Heading down tomorrow...clam on!

Here's an example...forgot about mom adding dry mustard to Krusteaz or panko--help them brown

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/79035/fried-razor-clams/

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
I'm going to make this one for dinner tonight while still at the house. A bowl of hot chowder is just the ticket to take the chill off this evening.

I'll get Garrett's recipe together to take with me. I like the idea of doing the prep work for that one in my kitchen and finishing it in the field.

With one package of clams left, I'll save those to cook up when my daughter and future son in law come in from North Carolina for turkey day, probably picking from one of the other suggestions.

Good eats!
You’ll love this recipe, it’s easy and delicious. The only thing I have changed is I sink a whole stick of butter in just before the clams go in and I double the bacon - clogged aorta be damned!!

Corey G

Boat ho extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2010
Tacoma, Wa USA
Name
Corey Guild
Boat
Gravy
...Then I'll either dust them with ground ritz crackers and lawrys and bake or fry them...
Lawry’s?!? Blasphemy!!! Where the hell are you from?!? We’re in the great PNW!!! Home of Johnny’s Seasoning Salt!!! Ever heard of Johnny’s?!? Lol!!!

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
Lots of great recipes showing up, couple things I do is butterfly the digger and then roll in Bisquick then an egg bath then either fine Ritz cracker powder or I find a seasoned instant mashed potato (sourcream and onion, or roasted garlic etc...) and roll them in there and panfry hot and quick. Making chowdah always use BIG chunks of clams and alot of them, nothing I hate worse then eating chowdah and only finding bacon to chew on. If you have to have bacon in your chowdah grind that shit up super fine for the flavor of it but leave the hero large and in charge !!

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
O.K. That's a home run!
You’ll love this recipe, it’s easy and delicious. The only thing I have changed is I sink a whole stick of butter in just before the clams go in and I double the bacon - clogged aorta be damned!!
Well, I didn't put the butter in... but it was excellent!

Thanks for passing the recipe on.

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
Lots of great recipes showing up, couple things I do is butterfly the digger and then roll in Bisquick then an egg bath then either fine Ritz cracker powder or I find a seasoned instant mashed potato (sourcream and onion, or roasted garlic etc...) and roll them in there and panfry hot and quick. Making chowdah always use BIG chunks of clams and alot of them, nothing I hate worse then eating chowdah and only finding bacon to chew on. If you have to have bacon in your chowdah grind that shit up super fine for the flavor of it but leave the hero large and in charge !!
With 15 large clams in the pot, there’s no shortage!! I agree though, clam chowder anywhere else might as well be potato soup!

yelloweye

May 21, 2009
Elma
Name
Steve
Boat
24' Skagit Orca
I like to roll them in McCormick Cajun breading/seasoning, then fry. It's a very light coating compared to flour, egg, crackers.

Last edited:

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Clam sandwich
Chopped razor clam, I prefer the necks
Chopped green onion
Fresh chopped garlic
Bacon thick sliced, cooked off ahead of time to desired crispiness
Pancake batter
Cheese slices, your choice, but I like cheddar and provolone
Croissants
Mayo

Mix pancake batter into a somewhat thin mixture. Add chopped raw razor clams, garlic and green onions, season to taste. A bit of salt and pepper perhaps. Heat skillet to medium, medium high. Add just enough butter to cover the bottom of pan and ladle in your clam fritter batter into cakes sized to fitin your croissants. Have your cheese slices and bacon standing by at the ready. Flip the clam fritters at golden brown and place bacon strips and cheese on top of each. If you have your heat level right the cheese should be nicely melted when the other side of the fritter is golden brown. Slide them onto warm croissants slathered with mayo and shove them into your face! Going with pepper mayo, honey mustard mayo, siracha mayo, Old Bay mayo are all good choices too.