Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
WDFW is once again saying the Dominic Acid level is way too high to consider opening in the near future. Boy we should have one hell of a clam dig when they do open if ever.

Reactions: sisukas
Upvote 0

Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
Have the tribes been clamming? I also have read that the earlier coastal crab closure was a result of many recreational crabbers cooking their crab without cleaning them, thus, exposing themselves to the toxin. Apparently, if you cleaned your crab before cooking, you could avoid the toxin. Does this sound right??

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Yes
    With crab all you have to do is clean them before cooking.
    Yet most of the coast is still closed to us while commercial is fishing in full force as well as selling whole live crab off the dock in Westport as well as shipping live crab overseas.
    I also wonder if tribal clamming is going on
    I suspect it is, as the only area that currently tests ok is the willipa spits

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Just rethink your fishing license as just a donation to WDFW and all is well. And to thank us for that donation they will surprise us with some one day harvest opportunity during bad weather or ripping tides. Remember to check your email just before midnight each night those harvest opportunities will be posted just minutes prior to the one day opener.

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Just rethink your fishing license as just a donation to WDFW and all is well. And to thank us for that donation they will surprise us with some one day harvest opportunity during bad weather or ripping tides. Remember to check your email just before midnight each night those harvest opportunities will be posted just minutes prior to the one day opener.
    I think I got 6 or 8 emails yesterday from wdwf canceling or closing early different ” opportunities”

• Wow
    Reactions: Soulakala
    Upvote 0

zdogk9

Sep 23, 2018
    Long Beach
    Name
    Bob Kelim
    Boat
    16' home built
    I also wonder if tribal clamming is going on
    I suspect it is, as the only area that currently tests ok is the willipa spits
    [/QUOTE]
    The spits are under the control of WDFG and not the tribes, and are presently closed. The latest tests I can find are from July 2020. I rather doubt the tribes are digging for human consumption, perhaps for crab bait but I am not sure on that.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    Demoic acid doesnt apply to tribes (sic). Available at QFC. I askednthe guy about the safety of them with demoic acid on the coast. they were packed on 2/22/21.

Meat manager said health department wouldn't let them sell them if they were bad. I asked him "which nation"?

20210305_182142.jpg

• Haha
    Reactions: Da Mad Anglah
    Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Demoic acid doesnt apply to tribes (sic). Available at QFC. I askednthe guy about the safety of them with demoic acid on the coast. they were packed on 2/22/21.

Meat manager said health department wouldn't let them sell them if they were bad. I asked him "which nation"?

View attachment 1261622
    The lies and the screwing continue! WDFW should be ashamed of themselves!
    commercial and tribal clamming and crabbing open, meanwhile we are shut Out indefinitely. I don’t know if they ever plan to open again. 50 50 at it’s very best.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    Talked to Dan Ayres late last week. It isn't on WDFW. The directives are down from the governor's office on no clamming until all beaches are open. They don't want people all going to one beach.

Jefferson, Clallam, Grays and Pacific county health departments all said they would close the beach entrances if WDFW opened for clamming, that is is the demoic acid levels are low enough. You can go get some clams and take them to the toxin testing lab in Portland.

Costco is only buying Dungeness crabs that are cleaned before they are cooked. Hot Ocean crabs are being transported in to the straits for a 10 day detox.

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    The lies and the screwing continue! WDFW should be ashamed of themselves!
    commercial and tribal clamming and crabbing open, meanwhile we are shut Out indefinitely. I don’t know if they ever plan to open again. 50 50 at it’s very best.

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    I would assume the meat manager had not a clue to the real answer and just gave you what he thought was a common sense answer. I am assuming the tribes don't bother to sample and test for DA, they just harvest and sell. They are you remember a sovereign nation with their own rules to some extent. I'm on the band wagon to say if they want to be a sovereign nation that's great but you just lost your right to vote.

Upvote 0

staggerly

Jul 25, 2014
    Name
    stan dewitz
    Boat
    Kimberly sea
    I'd be interested in seeing a bunch of bd'ers go down to mocrocks (Roosevelt beach) and just start digging on the next low tide and just see what the wdfw enforcement would do. Better watch it they might call it an armed insurrection because we have clam guns!!!

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    I predict a dig within a month,
    maybe within two weeks.
    Of course I could be wrong!

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Latest I ever remember a dig was early to mid May. Doubled up the weekend with a Westport halibut charter, which was super cool. The clams had started to spawn a bit though. A tad milky and the fat in the diggers was going a bit soft and dark. I betcha the warm weather this week could trigger an early spawn . Back in the days before my advent my moms family would dig razors whenever Big Papa got leave. One summer the clams were so milky and soft with spawn that mom went almost thirty years refusing to eat them anymore. Totally turned her off of them. It wasn't until I brought home some November razors that she got back into them.
    So, if they don't open a dig soon I will probably pass until after elk season.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
    Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Highly doubtful to get a dig in the next month. Even if levels drop I got ten to one odds health departments aren't begging wdfw to keep it closed cause of the china flu.

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    I think maybe I should change my heritage to native american of a tribe that has roots in Mexico. And claim I'm a tribal member immigrant from Mexico which should qualify for government assistance and tribal fishing and hunting rights.

Reactions: BugeaterInWa
    Upvote 0