Raymarine C80 won't meter deep!!

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by Frijolez, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    I have the Raymarine C80 fishfinder with radar and a transom mount ducer. Everything works great when I am in shallow water but as soon as I get to 500 feet I cannot read bottom or figure out how to set my FF up above 300 so that I can find fish.
    Will a thru hull transducer fix this problem for me??? Or does anyone have advice on how to set the head unit up to read above 300 feet???
    I appreciate it greatly!!!

2. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    More specifics would help.

1. Are you running the FF in auto mode?
    2. What transducer do you have now? There is usually a tag on the transducer cable that will give you that info.
    3. What DSM (FF module) do you have?
    4. What frequency are you using? Should be displayed on the screen.
    5. How fast is the boat moving?

If you have a P66 xducer now a better xducer (not just the same xducer as a through hull) may well help but hard to say without more info.

I assume you mean you just want to see the top 300 feet of the water column not matter how deep the bottom is? Just set the bottom range limit at 300.

Frijolez likes this.
  3. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Thanks for the response... I have ran it in both auto and manual modes, and it does have the P66 transom mount transducer, with a DSM 300. Also I have ran both frequencies, also a split screen that shows both frequencies, and I've done it while drifting with the motor off up to 5,10,15 knts. I don't have the original manual so maybe I just need to download it and get on the water and spend an entire day figuring it out, but what I've heard and come to understand is that the thru hull transducer should work much better.

4. Got Wasabi

Got Wasabi Ichiban Captain

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    22' SeaPro WA - Wasabi, 16' LUND
    Dan, I have the same unit. Sounds like you have one of the FF settings on manual and not auto adjust to find the bottom. Hard to diagnose without seeing how you have it set up. I would just have Dave Hansen come out for a few hours and help you learn how to set up and use the unit. Well worth the money.

Yes, the thru hull transducer is nicer if you have a good spot to place it, but you can make it work with what you have. My transom transducer reads down to easily 1000' or more but not if you're going too fast, but why would you need to anyways. When fishing off shore for Pelagics, you only need max 200'. If rock fishing maybe around 300'...and turn on the bottom scope or split screen.

PM me if you want to discuss.

Frijolez and sickcat like this.
  5. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    When I got mine c-80 it had a transom mount p-66 what a piece of crap, mine gave me fits, I went to a tru hull, b-60 -20 tilted element wow how nice that was till the temp element took a shit, I still use the b-60 , but I added an inhull m-260 1000 watt ducer and an transom mount temp sender, wow now I read to depths of 2500 . i'm using a dsm 250, the dsm 300 were pos's...

dump the p-66 . and most likely your troubles are over...

Frijolez and rwstewart like this.
  6. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    If your going to upgrade the transducer great but in the meanwhile take a look at how the transom xducer is mounted. It may well be out of whack either because it was mounted wrong or it may have hit something. Here is the Airmar install guide: http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-247-03.pdf

After checking the xducer install I suggest testing it in manual mode. In about 100 foot of water set the lower range on the FF to about 220. Then manually turn up the sensitivity (gain) until you see the bottom at 100 feet and see a clear bottom line at twice the depth of the real bottom. That second bottom is the signal from the FF bouncing off the surface of the water and back down off the bottom a second time. That gain setting is usually a good place to start with most all non-chirp FFers. Now reset the lower range to 500 and go out to 500 feet of water and see how it does. Try turning up the sensitivity a little more.

As far as upgrading xducers are a great place for overkill. Just be ready for a little sticker shock.

Your P66 and a B60 have the exact same element so they are the same xducer with a different mount. The B60 has the advantage of running in cleaner water and maybe less likely to be poorly installed which is good but at the end of the day performance will be similar when pushing it to the limit. Its easy to spend other peoples money so IMO I would skip over the B60 upgrade and go to the next level with something like a B164 which is a 1kW flush mount. Like the B60 you can get it in 12 and 20 degrees to match the deadrise on your hull. Flush hulls make the install considerable easier than cutting a fairing block for a thru hull or mounting the box for an in hull xducer. The B260 is a good size thru hull or the M260 which is the same element but an in hull mount. Both very good xducers. The M260 needs to be mounted correctly and even in the best installs will lose a little bit of performance at low speeds VS the B260 but has a big advantage of not having a BIG chunk of gear mounted to the bottom of the hull.

Take a look and see where your DSM was made. It will say on the outside of the DSM box. The units made in MX had enough issues that RM had a free exchange program last year and swapped out those unit on their dime. They had power feed issues due to poor installations and IIRC a problem with the power plug to circuit board connection on the unit itself. Not to say that is your issue as when malfunctioning most of the bad units really didn't work at all - just something to check. A good place to make sure the power feed is NOT undersize - check that VHF radio for the same thing while your looking at wiring.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Frijolez likes this.
  7. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:

what your saying is the installation is the key to a good operating transducer, I can;t agree more... it just seems that the p-66 ducers or transom mounts are very hard to get the perfect angles for multiple speeds.. which to me is the main problem.. I just just blame it on the ducer , but your right it should be blamed on the installation... some tranoms are not good for transom mounts , just to much interference...

Frijolez and sickcat like this.
  8. scwafish

scwafish Obsessed with fish

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Radoncraft 18
    FYI-There have been lots of problems like this with DSM 300s and Raymarine replaced many of them.

Frijolez likes this.
  9. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    That's why I kept my dsm 250's I have a two, I run two separate systems, c120 with m-260, c-80 with b-60.. depends on what I want on the bigger screen,,, chart on one, fish finder on the other.. also two separate gps pucks, but both will run on one gps.... redundancy... :)

Frijolez likes this.
  10. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Everyone, thank you so much and I love bloody decks for this reason, when courteous guys take time to respond to someone with a genuine concern instead of taking time out of their day to be a dick, and make a mean spirited response.
    The 1KW, b164 bronze thru hole is what I am looking at upgrading to at about $800. Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity to return my dsm300 on exchange. From what I understand this should make a difference but I appreciate all of the responses and information!

gecsr1 likes this.
  11. scwafish

scwafish Obsessed with fish

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Radoncraft 18
    Your best bet may be to find a good used DSM300 or ditch the whole thing and go for a used 585.

12. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    It may not be his dsm, so when he gets the transducer in he can make determination... and if it is just buy a used dsm250...

Frijolez likes this.
  13. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Frijolez likes this.
  14. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    yes try and contact raymarine. they were very helpful to me, and did the exchange beyond their time limit. can't say you'll have the same results but it can't hurt to ask. i used alot of "please, and thank you's" in my communication with them.

Frijolez likes this.
  15. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Wow! I was so absolutely overwhelmed by the wonderful customer service that I received after contacting Raymarine. Tom and Jamie responded swiftly and we were able to work something out, so now I just need to send in my DSM300 so that they can check it out for me. I love Raymarine and I just wanted to sing their praises...

16. Bondrvr

Bondrvr GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    R/M service kicks ass

Frijolez likes this.
  17. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    this is why they have EARNED my business. they were great to me.

Frijolez likes this.
  18. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    I also just ordered myself a new thru- hull, bronze B164 1kw transducer... I hope these things combined make me a success this coming season! I can't believe how much these transducers cost but apparently they are the difference makers!

19. Bondrvr

Bondrvr GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Those are nice, holds bottom at 25kts.

Frijolez likes this.
  20. gecsr1

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Yes the 1000 watt ducer are up there in price compared to the 600 watt.... I did a in hull m-260 instead of the B-164, for two reasons , I found a spot mid ship to install it... which to be when I spot the fish I'm not pass them when I throw in my lines and I didn't want to drill that big of a hole in my hull . I think it's 3.25" or 3.50" if I remember correctly.
    But you will love the difference from your old one that's for sure....
    :)

Frijolez likes this.