Raw Hotwater Bathtub... with Outboards?

If you ordered a new boat today, how would you power it?

• Inboard

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Outboard

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Stern Drive

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Mr Lingcod

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Those of us divers, spearfishermen, surfers, know the cold hard truth about Winter/Spring. It gets cold! It gets really cold. Especially when you get lost in whatever you're doing and spend more time in the water than you should. Sometimes, you just can't warm up fully until you're home and soaking in hot water. Those genius urchin divers figured it out: lets bring the jacuzzi to the boat.

Those same urchin guys solved the problem by re-routing their hot raw water exhaust into a tub on deck and sitting in it. Great. Super efficient. Problem solved. Otherwise that hot water was dumping back into the ocean.

For those of us who run outboards, it just doesn't work with our raw water exhaust. Below are a few ideas to replicate the same solution the diesel engine guys have already figured out. Sound off and post pictures and creative solutions if you've figured it out.

* Note I have no gain or experience to any of the products posted below... I'm posting them as a "possible solution" to the issue I'm looking to solve.

1) Using electrical cigarette showers

Amazon product
PRO: Cheap. Gets warm. Small and packs down well.
CON: Cheap. Very low hot water output. Maybe more hassle than it's worth. Drains master batteries. Pump might get clogged with raw saltwater. But, you can just drop the hose overboard to pump the water up.

2) Carry an extra battery on board that's land-charged

PRO: Cheap. Faster to produce hot water running off the cigarette lighter. More GPM output of hot water.
CON: Hassle to re-charge, heavy, not really likely to output that much hot water. Probably a shower-only solution. Pump might get clogged with raw saltwater.

3) Propane-fueled tankless water heater

Amazon product
PRO: This idea seems fine. 2.6 GPM and it's off grid from the main electrical system. At 2.6 GPM it could be used as a shower or diverted into a large plastic tub for a jacuzzi. Fast to heat.
CON: Have to carry a large propane tank that could be dangerous if it leaks. Need 2 D batteries. Pricey pump might get clogged with raw saltwater.

4) Forget water, get a Dyno-glow deck torch

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...22...0.0.lvAsNgFM-Us#spd=12883134493395320958

PRO: Off-grid from electrical, no saltwater or freshwater.
CON: Whole idea was hot water is nice to get out of a wet suit after a night dive

5) Other ideas? Love this one

Amazon product

Spearo4Life

Concrete Cowboy
Apr 11, 2010
San Diego
www.dcrcontractors.com
Name
Derek
Boat
23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
Transom shower for guys with IO or direct drive comes off heat exchanger. Works great on my Nautique for wakeboarding winter. Hot shower into the wesuit before and hot shower after.

When I used to dive off an outboard boat...
Hot water in 2 coffee thermos. Stays warm for hours. Dump 1 in wesuit before then 1 after dive. Wait 5 min your warm. Cheap and easy.

Reactions: Mr Lingcod

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
We have an actually in the water hot tub made just for boats. Has a stand alone propane heater and uses like a 550 GPH pump to circulate it, four adults and cocktails just fine. Winter it is our warm up spot. Cannot remember who makes it, but inflatable ring at top and heavy vinyl "tub".

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
We have an actually in the water hot tub made just for boats. Has a stand alone propane heater and uses like a 550 GPH pump to circulate it, four adults and cocktails just fine. Winter it is our warm up spot. Cannot remember who makes it, but inflatable ring at top and heavy vinyl "tub".
I really want one of those, but searched high and low without any success.

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Grande!
So you're talking putting a hot tub in your boat? Am I understanding this correctly???

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I really want one of those, but searched high and low without any success.
A few friends actually met with the owner to talk about a project, they are a little difficult to get right now.

So you're talking putting a hot tub in your boat? Am I understanding this correctly???
Naturally, doesn't everyone? LOL.

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Yeah he is. Most of the commercial urchin boats up this way reroute the hot water off the exchange to a large fish hold for warming up after a long dive. Since his boat is OB powered he's trying to figure out how to do the same.

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Yeah he is. Most of the commercial urchin boats up this way reroute the hot water off the exchange to a large fish hold for warming up after a long dive. Since his boat is OB powered he's trying to figure out how to do the same.
I'm thinking a hot water shower would be more than enough and be super nice after a surf/dive. Planning anything like this for your new Radon?