plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
There's a solution to this problem of keeping very small but legal fish.Just keep killing them until there isnt much to catch or keep killing them until the Enviro people and DFW force the changes upon us.Just a matter of time before somebody other than sportfishermen make decisions that we wont like.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Triton and Gail Force been doing a pretty good job of avoiding the rats the past few weeks at Cat. (And burning a lot of fuel doing it)
Come join us next Tuesday thru Thursday 5am to 5pm fishing Catalina!

..........BOOYAA !!! That's what I'm talkin 'bout.

Reactions: jiggyn
Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
Just wondering the general location of "everywhere" I thought the YT at the Los Coronados were 10-20 lb, mostly. I fished Pukey Point on my buddies boat a few weeks ago and that was about the size. I'll eat a 10 lb rat any day, fish/animal
Palos Verdes area

Reactions: Slice-Of-Life
Upvote 0

surfsalot

New guy again
Oct 25, 2010
Newport Beach/CA
Name
Bruce
Boat
Know Fish
50$ bucks to fish or feed your family. Easy decision, get your kids a new pair of shoes and some clothes for school. The baby yellows are in school and need to graduate.

Nice job Gail Force.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Triton and Gail Force been doing a pretty good job of avoiding the rats the past few weeks at Cat. (And burning a lot of fuel doing it)
Come join us next Tuesday thru Thursday 5am to 5pm fishing Catalina!

Here are some pics of our rats from this weeks trips.......

View attachment 783663

View attachment 783664

View attachment 783665

View attachment 783666

View attachment 783667

View attachment 783668

View attachment 783669

View attachment 783670

View attachment 783674

View attachment 783677
Those are some nice fish to pull on right there!

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
First, should keep the conservation talk in one thread.

Second, all half day boats can hit are rats. DON'T GO ON THEM.

Third, big yellowtails are available off of Catalina, San Clemente, and Coronados. Of course everyone who's kept track knows this.

Fourth, people have kept rat yellowtail since forever. It's only in recent years that it's become a problem as we are all increasingly aware of what people are doing due to the internet.

Fifth, this year specifically has been a yellowtail in the news year because the yellowfin tuna failed to show up. Counts in landings everywhere show a similar or larger amount of yellowtail but only about 10% the yellowfin tuna that showed up last year.

Sixth, you can ask the captain why they're keeping all the rat yellowtail, we'd all love to hear their response.

Last edited:
Reactions: jiggyn
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
If you noticed the past few years. Sand bass migrations are almost non existent!!! Boats can not even get 75 legal fish around the Fourth of July which was always the peak!!! It's tragic!!! Why is it you must kill to be successful??? Eat A few great!! But freeze fish ??? Argue all you want. It's not close to fresh!! I want my son to maybe someday catch a cow cod??? Back to the economic part!! If your counting on catching to feed your family?? You can get ten pounds of good steak for the price of a 3/4 day. A overnite??? Lobster!!! Come on guys. Eat a little. Save our Beloved hobby!!! Not kill it like rat yellows!!!

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Maybe because I did commercial rod n reel fishin so many years and we almost never took a fish for ourselves that makes me feel that fishing and eating fish are two completely separate things ...
If every species was no take I would still fish just as much and just as hard...

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If you noticed the past few years. Sand bass migrations are almost non existent!!! Boats can not even get 75 legal fish around the Fourth of July which was always the peak!!! It's tragic!!! Why is it you must kill to be successful??? Eat A few great!! But freeze fish ??? Argue all you want. It's not close to fresh!! I want my son to maybe someday catch a cow cod??? Back to the economic part!! If your counting on catching to feed your family?? You can get ten pounds of good steak for the price of a 3/4 day. A overnite??? Lobster!!! Come on guys. Eat a little. Save our Beloved hobby!!! Not kill it like rat yellows!!!
    AMEN

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Those are nice fish, but if you see the majority of the pictures being posted (sport boats and private) A'lot of the people are holding up 4-5 yellers on each finger. also don't let the gaff deceive the perception of the fish, when their holding it away from your body, Just look at the angle of the gaff handl.

Upvote 0

pcantonius

Patrick
    Mar 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    yours
    Don't see a need to kill the 1-6 lb rats (actually mice at that point), but its pretty ironic that most of us will keep 10-15 lb yellowfin without hesitating....

Reactions: Tar Pit
    Upvote 0

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Grady-White 232 Gulfstream
    The almighty have spoken again. Stop killing a legal fish after you pay $50 dollars of your hard earned money let alone all the other items needed to go fishing because people on BD think they are rats! must be nice to fish as many days a year as you all do to be so selective. I only fish about 80 days a year so I'm pretty limited but I have killed and will continue to kill my share of RAT yellows this year as IT IS LEGAL!!!! Bet you a thousand bucks MOST of these individuals posting about keeping rat yellowtail won't even think twice about taking a legal lobster RIGHT? Have fun with this now open can of worms as I have to get my gear ready for some rat fishing as I have hungry kids and momma don't like when I come home empty handed LMAO. Have fun Oh FYI paying $4.65 a gal for gas you can bet your ASS a legal fish is coming home.

NoLDR over and out

A legal lobster has had the opportunity to spawn at least once, cant say the same for a rat yellow, just sayin....

Upvote 0

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
    Redondo
    Name
    Butch
    Boat
    20' Bertram
    No rats at Catalina yesterday. Tough bite about 20 Yt for 40 guys.
    JP was about 30lbs. Fish were 15 - 25 average. Fished Ship rock to the east end. lots of guys tossing iron for 1 fish on the iron. 5" dines.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Yt yum

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    LEGAL. NOT ETHICAL. AND GAS IS NOT $4.65 A GALLON EITHER. YOU PROBABLY CALL ALL YOUR RATS 20LB ERS. AND IF YOU FISH THAT OFTEN, YOUR FREEZER IS FULL AND YOU DON'T NEED TO KEEP THEM.

Check gas in MDR and get back with me or I could show you my receipt. Only take what I need don't like freezer burn . :)

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    anything wrong with catching a rat and pinning it on and tossing back over to catch a bigger one? I've seen those Cedros yellows eat a 2lb Mac no problem.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    The almighty have spoken again. Stop killing a legal fish after you pay $50 dollars of your hard earned money let alone all the other items needed to go fishing because people on BD think they are rats! must be nice to fish as many days a year as you all do to be so selective. I only fish about 80 days a year so I'm pretty limited but I have killed and will continue to kill my share of RAT yellows this year as IT IS LEGAL!!!! Bet you a thousand bucks MOST of these individuals posting about keeping rat yellowtail won't even think twice about taking a legal lobster RIGHT? Have fun with this now open can of worms as I have to get my gear ready for some rat fishing as I have hungry kids and momma don't like when I come home empty handed LMAO. Have fun Oh FYI paying $4.65 a gal for gas you can bet your ASS a legal fish is coming home.

NoLDR over and out

Gotta love'em fishin' msg boards these days.
    The more it changes the more it stays the same!
    Might have to keep a couple 2 pounders to flyline for RAT eaters.
    Sure don't miss this crap Brad!

John.

Reactions: NoLDR and Blackfish
    Upvote 0