Socali818

><((((º>
Sep 15, 2016
La Habra
Name
Mike L
Boat
Yamaha FX HO
The extraordinary discovery of what has since been identified as a female Pacific footballfish, a type of anglerfish, was made by Ben Estes at Crystal Cove State Park in Newport Beach

rsiouKO.jpg

HdnzgaB.jpg

V3R5Ayd.jpg

QiKleCd.jpg

dbMmUSr.jpg

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Super cool order of fishes...

Reactions: Socali818
Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Looks like a character from Lord of the Rings. " Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me ?" " I guess that ends negotiations". Favorite part of the movie.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Some species of angler fish, for a long time scientists couldn't find a male specimen. Finally, they discovered that the male is very small, attaches itself to the female, which "absorbs" it in a fashion, leaving just a bump amounting to testicles permanently in place so the female can fertilize her eggs.

Talk about emasculation! o_O

Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I want to know what it tastes like?
    Yes, You Can Eat Anglerfish:

The Edible Parts of the Anglerfish

A! Actually, all parts of the anglerfish are edible except for the head and bones, so there is no waste. The edible parts are divided into seven categories: the fins, skin, gills, liver, stomach, ovaries, and meat. Japanese people call it “the seven tools of the anglerfish.

The favorite part of the Japanese people is the liver—so rich and smooth that people even call it “the foie gras of the sea.” The most popular way to eat anglerfish in Japan is in an anglerfish hot pot, called anko nabe. It is eaten with plenty of vegetables and a miso or soy sauce soup with the anglerfish’s liver blended in.

”.Anglerfish has many health benefits as it is full of vitamins B and B12. Its meat has very little fat.

Amélie Geeraert / June 15, 2020

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    A question for the icthyologists out there. A lot of the deep sea fish that I have seen pictures of, seem to have no discernible gills, as this one is an example of. I would think with the extremely low dissolved oxygen content of the water, I would expect at the depths these live at, that the gill structures would be a far more prominent part of their physiology. Why don't they have bigger gills?

Reactions: Socali818
    Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    A question for the icthyologists out there. A lot of the deep sea fish that I have seen pictures of, seem to have no discernible gills, as this one is an example of. I would think with the extremely low dissolved oxygen content of the water, I would expect at the depths these live at, that the gill structures would be a far more prominent part of their physiology. Why don't they have bigger gills?
    Damn good question! its so ugly that i didn't notice the absence of gills till you mentioned it.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    During mating season it goes through a transformation its more commonly known as the dangler fish.

Upvote 0

Socali818

><((((º>
    Sep 15, 2016
    La Habra
    Name
    Mike L
    Boat
    Yamaha FX HO
    Got this from a site:

Angler fish are bony fishes because of their form of predation. They are also members of the teleost order and are mostly deep sea fish although some of them live on the continental shelf. All fish rely on gills for the process of respiration. Their gills mediate the process of respiration in fish by allowing respiration to occur through them. Gills are located on the side of the head and they are made up of gill filaments which are feathery structures that provide a large surface for gas exchange. The filaments inside of the gills are arranged in rows, and each filament has lamellae, which are discs that contain capillaries. Blood enters and leaves the gills through these small blood vessels. Even though gills are only a small portion of the fish, the large surface for gas exchange given by the gil filaments allow the fish to respirate efficiently.

Upvote 0