Raptor gear vs regular avet

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by cornbeef, Sep 7, 2016.

1. cornbeef

cornbeef Newbie

Name:
    RUSS
    Boat:
    none
    I'm not a fan of mc cast. A little too weird for my thumb when I cast... I only own one raptor version reel(sx). Feels beefier n stronger than single/2spd version avet. I know raptors has dual drag but the draw back to me is that it always comes with the magic cast. Does the raptors have better gearing which equates to better cranking power or just more drag?

2. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    turn the dial to # 1 and you can pretend you dont have mc cast.

raptor = patented Dual Direct Drive full surface caliper brake system that puts out twice the drag pressure of the original single drag Avet Reels.

3. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    I was also concerned about the gears and bearings on the raptor vs the non raptors. I asked that exact question to an Avet rep that was on a trip with me and he told me that the gears and bearings are beefed up on the raptors to handle the increased drag capacity. I used an HX raptor at Guadalupe last year and caught multiple fish in the 100 to 120 lb range using 60 and 80 lb line using a lot of drag and had absolutely no problems. I don't think the regular HX could have stood up to that. You might want to call the factory just to confirm the information but I don't think they would have built a reel like the HX raptor with double the drag capacity of the HX without doing something to improve the bearing situation. The MC is a non issue. I just turn it all the way down and you don't notice any difference while casting. I believe that it is possible to remove the entire MC system without to much difficulty but there is really no reason to do it.

skipjackrobert likes this.
  4. cornbeef

cornbeef Newbie

Name:
    RUSS
    Boat:
    none
    Lowest setting is still way too much for me. I can't get more than 15 second freespool even after I've cleaned out excess oil on my sx raptor... I love the dual brake system. Let's me fish heavier string. I'm also trying to decide between the JX raptor vs The regular HXJ 5/2 for 50lb yoyo/bait. The HXJ is $100 cheaper...:)

5. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    The length of time that it will freespool is not really a good way to evaluate the reels. It is just the nature of the MC system that they don't freespool for a long period of time. The best way to compare them is to tie a weight on the line and actually cast them. If you do that you will find that there is very little difference. I have a bunch of JX's and LX's, some with MC and some without. I always leave the MC turned all the way down. On a trip I often switch between MC and non MC reels and I never notice the difference between the two.
    The raptor version is the way to go on the larger reels like the JX, LX and HX. You get double the drag capacity with no handle binding and you get a reel with beefed up internals and a much higher resale value. The JX raptor is a much more versatile reel than the HXJ. You can use it as a 30, 40 50 or even 60 lb bait outfit plus it is good for throwing jigs or for yoyo fishing. The HXJ is a much more limited reel. If you want more line capacity than the JX raptor just move up to an LX raptor, it is a great reel and is not much different in price than the JX raptor.

skotz and Drago like this.
  6. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    it's a level reel so the freespool isnt that great. my jx rap definitely was more smooth and had better respool than my regular jx. there is a way to disable the mc if you want- just call them and ask?

if you want freespool then go get a progear. i have fished shimano, daiwa and avet. not a single one freespools more than the progear. i saw a few videos of it going 1minute plus out of the box.

7. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Remove 1 magnet

skipjackrobert likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Member

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Any
    I have a JX Raptor with a Hercules 80H-8 ft 30-60 rod. I've casted everything from surface irons to mackarel/sardines and even lobbing out yoyos, its definetely a best of both worlds between HX and MX series with both raptor and non-raptor versions; the HX are too big for convenient use, while the MX are limited by capacity/drag.

The MC barely affects it, a running dine was able to get my line to be slightly birds-nested when I looked away. If a free-lined sardine can do that, then any other application will not be a problem despite the Magnetic Cast.

Between 30-60lb classes, JX Raptor will pretty much wipe out any fish while still being comfortable for most applications

skotz likes this.
  9. cornbeef

cornbeef Newbie

Name:
    RUSS
    Boat:
    none
    Thank you everyone for the great response. Makes a lot of sense. I learned a lot. I'm going with the jx raptor. I just got back from avet n had the magnet taken out. I only had to wait 10 minutes. Avet takes care of me everytime.... Second to none in customer service!

Also, I spoke to them about the raptor series. The technician informed me that raptors don't have a bigger/beefier gears. You get the dual drag n bigger handle.

Drago likes this.
  10. Drago

Drago Member

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Any
    Yup there amazing!

They don't have bigger/beefier gears, but Raptors do have more reliable bearings, which is very good especially since they replace them for you when they service the reel =P

skotz likes this.
  11. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Raptors don't have better bearings than regular Avets. However, their design is such that there is very little pressure on the pinion bearing so Raptor pinion bearings rarely go bad even at high drag pressure. Non-Raptor pinion bearings are good bearings too and rarely go bad -- if the reel is fished within specs.

mike1010 and Drago like this.
  12. Drago

Drago Member

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Any
    Can't argue that, but i heard from a couple people that the bearings were better... guess they just said what they thought =/

13. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    I send my new reels to Alan Tani. He greases the reels the way they should be greased and removes the casting magnets.