Ranger 85

Discussion in 'Southern CA Sport Boat Trip Planning' started by ReelDealio, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ReelDealio

ReelDealio Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Ranger 230v
    4 of us went out on an over nighter. I have my favorite San Diego boats, but my buddy talked me into this one, even though we had never been on it. The boat sits really high out of the water and it has a narrow beam for a fishing boat. Actually it's a converted patrol boat, which explains the goofy layout. Captain was sarcastic and condescending right from the get go. One crew member was very nice and helpful, he offered to help anyone who needed help. State rooms were 85 degrees and no ventillation. Guys we're crashing in the galley middle of the night. We made a run to an area that wasn't very good, the rest of the fleet had much higher fish counts than us. For 30 people we had roughly 80 fish. I caught 1 yellow and 6 Dorado and had them filleted, when I went to pay my bill, they only charged me for 3 fish. I asked what happened to my other fish they said they gave them away to other passengers because the limit is 2. I've never had that happen before. I called them out on it because one of my group didn't get any Dorado and I should have been able to give my fish to him if they weren't going to let me keep them. Anyway, kind of a bummer trip all the way around. Not a first class operation that I am use to when I fish out of San Diego. BTW, the Ranger 85 operates out of Channel Islands, IMO they need to stay there, they don't have what it takes to be a San Diego sporty.

2. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    This may not end well.

justin cardenas likes this.
  3. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    boy that's Funny, if you fish SD enough, then you should Know
    what the Limit Of Do Do's are, in Mexican Water's
    then you Could of Shared them with your Friend, instead of Being
    Greedy, and Trying to Keep them all for your Self
    so don't blame the Crew For Doing their Job
    and that Crew Can Handle SD no problem.
    you Sound Like That GUY.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. salty nuts

salty nuts Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat:
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Another beaut of a post on BD.

Jesus

5. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Last party boat I went on in SD was the Ranger 85 and I wouldn't go on that boat again for FREE...Boat is crap and so was the Capitan

cortezpirasea likes this.
  6. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    Channel Islands sport boats have some of the best customer service in the west coast fleet. What makes you think the San Diego service is any better? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is any problem at all with the San Diego fleet, but the op indicated that Channel Islands boats have lesser service. You couldn't be any farther from the truth! Most of the captains and crew cut their teeth on SD boats. Maybe you should stick to the boats run by Carnival!

7. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    first post on BD? EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .............................................................bieber

cortezpirasea and Saponi73 like this.
  8. stripedbizzle

stripedbizzle Member

Name:
    JTM
    Boat:
    No
    Unless you're lucky enough to get one of the staterooms, the rangers bunks suck. Nonetheless the rant about the dorados and lay out of the boat is ridiculous as all that information is available beforehand.

9. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I did a 2 day, in June ,up in the Channel Island
    and was able to Get a Bunk up in the
    Bow, and had Plenty of Room
    and I'm 6.1, and could stretch
    out all I wanted too , plus the Boat Was Clean
    and the Galley had plenty of Room
    and I would go on that boat again
    if it would Take less then 28
    it fished great with 30 ,
    Fishing for WSB
    but for the Tuna Shuffle , I think it would
    be , too many for my liking.

10. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    The boat is what it is but id fish with frank anytime.

11. theAZBaron

theAZBaron Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    What did you hope to gain out of this post?

I have fished the R85 and loved it. Yes it's a former PT boat as you may have noticed in the galley the WWII design on the wall picture framed. So it sits high off the water, the same as the Pacific Queen.

What was the Captain that ran this trip's name? Was it Frank? If so, you sound like you misunderstood or caught him in a mood possibly, but from my experience he is nothing but first class.

Was the ac not working? Did you ask the crew?

There are holes in your explanation of this trip or you decided to wait until the trip was over to vent about it. The best approach is ALWAYS to bring up any issue you have with your trip while you are STILL on the boat! They can't fix or help now.

I don't spend a lot of time on BD these days, but in the past you'd be drawn and quartered for lack of explanation with all of the complaints you have. Dorado are 2 per day as pointed out and as pointed out if you know what it takes to make it in SD then you'd know SOP is to catch the boat limit any divvy to those that didn't catch...

There's a lot on you as an angler to make the most of your trip, the crew is a little too busy to go around asking each angler if there's anything they can fix for them, especially when fish are being caught.

Maybe next time you will do your homework about things like the boat being too high off the water for your liking; it's pretty easy to see from any picture of the R85.

Dudley613 likes this.
  12. soulwinner

soulwinner jeremiah 9:23,24

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    cobra
    the queen sits high but is rock stable, the 1st time riding I was a bit worried it might be rough ride but all worries were put to rest.

funny the last trip I was on pac voyager we had the R85 of our stern, the ocean was abit lumpy I mentioned to someone how pitchy the R85 looked & was rolling like a small craft.

13. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    I think dustin has been running it but I agree, I've had nothing but good trips on the ranger...

14. aznboy619

aznboy619 Not a Newbie

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    None
    Don't worry about this idiot. First time poster and might not post again. I notice we been getting lots of poster just to bitch and whine about sportfishing vessel. Admin just delete this morons account. We don't need this type of moron bashing sport boats

jer dog likes this.
  15. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    ok well i had a horrible experience on this boat as well......Frank was not the CAPT at the time just the owner
    So im a moron also?

16. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Your right though, the ranger does get it done up north image.jpg

And down south
    image.jpg

BigIron53, theAZBaron and jer dog like this.
  17. aznboy619

aznboy619 Not a Newbie

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    None
    Derek you didn't come on the forum and your first post was to bash a boat. That is the difference and even after few other has posted and no reply back from him.

yellowklr likes this.
  18. theAZBaron

theAZBaron Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    Everyone has their favorites and their wouldn't fish it even if it were the only game in town. If something happened that is worthy of a legitimate complaint imo it ought to only be on BD IF it was addressed with the Capt, crew and landing. It's been my experience that is the proper chain of command without fail and if followed we'd see far fewer of these posts.

Sigh but year after year, there's always a dozen plus of these types of posts, and never fails they were too much of a pansy to take it up with the Capt and get it remedied and give the boat/owner/Capt a chance...rather just try to hurt their reputation.

19. theAZBaron

theAZBaron Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
  20. ReelDealio

ReelDealio Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Ranger 230v
    Ok guys, reading thru all of these replies has made me realize I handled this poorly. I think my OP was typed at 3 or 4 am. I was in rare form and my anger got the best of me. I was spewing off everything that popped into my head, but that's no excuse. The whole thing about the boat being from the Channel Islands...unfair, irrelevant , lame for me to say. The part about going to an area that wasn't as good as most of the fleet ...that could happen to any boat at any time... so that statement was lame, Justin Bieber is lame, I deserved that and that was funny.
    I feel I could argue a few things with a few people, but I have decided it would be smarter to take my lumps at this point than give you more ammo.
    So .... in the future I hope to contribute, in a more positive way, to the BD community and continue to learn from it.
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017