Ranger 85 2.5 10/10 - 10/11/'12

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by AZTunaBaron, Oct 13, 2012.

1. AZTunaBaron

AZTunaBaron Newbie

Name:
    Baron was my dog
    Boat:
    Someday
    Nobody put this up yet, so here goes:
    Started trip off with lower expectations with the counts dropping off from the weekend before our Tuesday night departure. Capt. Frank gave an outstanding pre-trip seminar, we picked up bait and were on our way.

Expectations about better weather had us all hoping the fishing would pick back up. And it did, only a short report here, but day one we tried on some kelp and had fair luck. A few troll stops throughout the day and late morning we got on a stop of good grade BF. Some of these BF were 50-60#, of which I landed one and to boot on a jigmaster after an hour long fight! The afternoon/evening bite did not materialize and we settled in for dinner and hopes of a school collecting around the boat overnight. Huge applause to the SA80 for unloading their remaining bait, we would need it....

Day 2, woke up at 5 to learn some of the earlier birds had put 4 YF on the boat already and there were a handful of fish hanging around. Just as we were about to leave, Cappy says looks like a few meter marks showing back up. This turned into a 4-hour+ plunker YF bite, resulting in the majority of our tuna count. I was fortunate enough to land 5 here. At about lunch time we were headed off. The rest of the day would result in a few kelp that yielded mostly YT, a few dodos and a few YF here and there. We also had a few troll stops that yielded a couple bait fish here and there, but again the afternoon/evening did not materialize. Day 2's jp was without any doubt as our fellow angler/fireman landed a mid 70# YF, congrats Mike, that was a truly awesome fish to watch you land, tangles and all!

Much to my surprise, the mornings were considerably more productive than any other part of the day and the middle of the day doldrums were lengthy.

Great Capt, crew, food and boat. I'll be back. Also, it was a pleasure to have Capt. Bobby down from the Seabiscuit to share the rail with.

What worked for me: bait,nose hooking, patience, fluoro, long soak (really long) and 2/0 ringed hooks. Megabaits were somewhat successful on the first couple of casts at a new kelp, swimmys and iron not so much.

What did not work: I tried hard to make the artificials work, they just weren't real interested, not even the YT (much.)

Bait was good day 1, sucked day 2, is what it is....Bring a squid jig and make bait if possible. My buddy said at 2am he could have made all the squid we'd need if only he could have found the squid jig.

One lesson learned: pack rain gear.

Pics to come....

<table align="center" bgcolor="#000000" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><td width="40">10-12-2012</td><td width="40">2.5 Day </td><td align="center" width="25">30</td><td width="312">22 Bluefin Tuna, 18 Dorado, 128 California Yellowtail, 93 Yellowfin Tuna</td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Stringer

Stringer Idiot Savant

Name:
    Stringer
    Boat:
    25 Skipjack FB
    Good report, Ive been waiting for the report on this trip, I am on the next 2.5 day. Some good observations about what was working/not working, thanks for sharing.

3. Derfsondeck

Derfsondeck DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    Awesome thats a fun trip.

4. smidge

smidge Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Stardust, Intrepid, Island Spirit
    Thanks for the write up. Heading out tonight hope it keeps coming.

5. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    Not a bad report at all.

6. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    50 to 60 lb fish? No pic's equal BS! Good job.

7. AZTunaBaron

AZTunaBaron Newbie

Name:
    Baron was my dog
    Boat:
    Someday
    lots of pics coming, I just got them from Capt. Frank. Very cool of him to go out of his way and provide pics for his customers. Another reason this boat is now at the top of my list; excellent customer service from the top down.

8. AZTunaBaron

AZTunaBaron Newbie

Name:
    Baron was my dog
    Boat:
    Someday
    Here's some of the bigger fish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the jackpot:
    [​IMG]

other misc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Derfsondeck

Derfsondeck DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Poopshoot
    Awesome pics.Is that Ricky with his hand in your pants?

sorry just fuckin around pics no work!

10. AZTunaBaron

AZTunaBaron Newbie

Name:
    Baron was my dog
    Boat:
    Someday
    Pics were there, now not. Hmmm, it's a pain to have load them into my albums and I don't have the time right now. If somebody can offer advice toward copy/paste pics from email and why they were there and now not, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll leave it off 'till winter down time. Thanks.

11. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    I want to see the big fish pictures!

Download them (just a few if you want) to your desktop from your email. Then, when making a new post click the paper clip icon in the editing menu(near the smiley face) and throw a few up by clicking "choose file" and locating it on your desktop. Upload and share!