Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat
    Christina Ann
    Trying Out My NEW Aluminum Sand Flea Rake - Also Known As Sand Turtles!

Every sand flea that i caught was devoured within minutes! Too many small bait grabbers around today. This area wasn't a prime area for fleas, they prefer more white wash & finer sand. I just wanted to try it here because i was field testing new prototype fishing gear so i brought my aluminum sand rake with me.

When i used to use fleas at Lighthouse Pt in Pompano Beach, FL the fleas there were HUGE! Nothing like the ones from Hawaii. Still i need to use frozen baits until i can catch live so had to work for my fleas today!

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I made this rake from a Lowe's storage crate, 3/4" pvc, 1/4" mesh and stainless hardware. It is light and does a great job sifting outgoing waves for sand crabs. It also won't tear up your shins if it bangs you.

Crabs are scare now in Southern California, but should start showing again when the water warms around March.

No question that sand crabs work and soft shell crabs with eggs are the best!

Oh and try slipping a 6mm orange bead down your leader next to the hook to emulate sand crab eggs.
    Milk Crate Rake.jpg

Reactions: Scuba Chris
    Upvote 0