Raising the trailer tongue

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by sgwill122, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    Those EOH trailer brains dont like water so much. Think about elevating brain on pedestal.

2. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    What actuator did you decide on? I'm using a Dexter 1200psi unit. you have a GM Truck Dexter does not work with the controller. Check that out!!!!!!

https://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-electric-hydraulic-drum-brake-actuator-k71-650-00

Carlisle 1200psi or 1000 psi is what DB Vance had on his old trailer. Be Careful each brake manufacture has a PSI Limit of their Calipers.

https://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-hba-10
    https://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-hba-12

Use the 6" Radar mount for your actuator mount plate. Get the proper length U Bolts to attach it to the tongue. I got some scrap aluminum plate if needed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore

My truck came with no bells, whistles or brake controller so I had to buy one.

I like the re-using the radar mount suggestion, did not think of that. I went with the hydrastar actuator as it was a bit cheaper and mounts right on the 3" trailer frame. I could not find a pressure rating for my UFP calipers, the eastern marine salesman told me the 1600PSI was the way to go, so will see if I end up with jammed calipers.

goatram likes this.
  4. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    That's like having "spare" beer.

TwoTapPat likes this.
  5. jet2go

jet2go Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    26' Silver Streak, Twin 200 Suzukis, 9.9 yami, "Outta Line"
    I have fixed the GM factory controller issue for three different EOH actuators - Dexter, Hydrostar and Titan using a $8 dollar resistor from Amazon.

Once the controller senses the resistance of the circuit, it works the EOH unit perfectly. Might not work for everyone, but it has worked great for me on two different trailers, and for my nephew on his truck and trailer.

TonyG likes this.
  6. The Peddler

The Peddler I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    "Permanent Waves"
    The 2015 and newer Chevy/GM trucks with ITBC will auto-detect the difference between straight-electric and EOH, and function accordingly. Works great between my 2015 2500HD and my Titan Brakerite II pump. When the truck comes to a stop, it shuts-off the voltage to the pump, so it's not running while you're stopped at a light, in the ramp line, etc.

7. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Installation is done. Took a test drive last night and I can still stop so mission accomplished. Towing is smoother without the start/stop action from the surge actuator. One of the downsides to EOH is you have to remember to use your emergency brake at long stops or you risk overheating your actuator. The one thing that stumped me on the installation was the brake controller and actuator instruction said to make sure and install fuses on the power and controll wires. I almost put inline fuses but after a few google searches concluded newer trucks already have them installed with the factory wiring. I could not identify them looking through the fuse panels but assume they are there. Anybody know for sure?

AD1870A5-C556-491D-887C-8AC0829F89C5.jpeg

8. The Peddler

The Peddler I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    "Permanent Waves"
    What year is your truck? My 2015 Chevy with Integrated Trailer Brake Controller auto-recognizes the EOH pump when plugged-in, and cuts power to the braking circuit once the truck comes to a stop (such as at a traffic light). Earlier models required the use of a magnet/module to trick the ITBC into working, and with that it was recommended not to "Stand" on the brakes for extended periods.