Rainshadow for LBSF

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Was hoping to see what blanks guys are using for medium sharks (5-9 feet) from shore. Was looking at the Rainshadow RCJB and RCTB as possible candidates. From previous posts I read that the RCTB takes a good amount of drag (25+) to bend. There are two applications I am shooting for:
1) a casting blank to be able to cast 5oz and a chunk/head...was thinking fishing 40-50lb on this one going after the 4-6 footers
2) a blank where we kayak out the bait 150 yards and fish 80lb line.

Had someone recommend the RCTB70XXH, but wondering if the drag we are going to be using is too small at 20lbs. My son and I have been catching 3-5ft sharks on surf gear for a couple years using 20-25lb mono so at most we were using 10lbs of drag. I know guys fish 30lb+ of drag but just have a feeling I would end up in the drink if I tried that. My son might be able to handle it.

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Did some more reading/searching/talking and starting to converge on following:

RCTB70XXH 150lb+ fish, fish with at least 80lb line, 25lbs+ drag
RCJB84XXH 100-150lb fish, fish with 60lb line, 20lb drag
RCJB84XH 60-100lb fish, fish with 40-50lb line, 12-15lb drag

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Thanks Hector for the images...helps out when can't hold or bend a blank. I was thinking of running 50/60 (15-20lbs drag) mono top shot leaning towards a Avet HX or 30/2. Looking at Charkbait site they seem to recommend targeting towards the lower end of the rod rating scale for the RCJB's which would put me between the XH and XXH. Might have to flip coin but leaning towards the XH to make catching the smaller sharks/bull reds more fun.

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Built out both rcjb84h and rcjb84xh. Used fathom single lever 30 and 40 respectively with 40/60lb top shots. Here is pic of 6 footer.
E740582E-FE90-4600-80B3-EC60F4409CC6.jpeg

Reactions: Hector Garcia
Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Seen some posts asking about the RCJB84H vs RCJB84XH. When I was doing my research most replied with the H as solid 40lb but could do 50lb and the XH as solid 50 that could do 60lb. Have a set of pics I hope helps. I was running what is probably lighter drag then most but should give an idea of the bend. I am somewhat following Charkbait's drag recommendations for these two blanks.

Pics are using a Fathom 30LD that Charkbait (thanks @Chark) spooled up with 300 yards 60lb Toro 8 strand with about a 100 yard topshot of 40lb Big Game. I set the drag to 10lbs at strike for the RCJB84H and 12 lbs for RCJB84XH. Then I walked out about 60 yards which duplicated about how far we were able to cast with 4-6oz plus bait from shore. Had my son take the pictures of the bend in rod when drag just started slipping. We did measure the drag at these location but only showed about a 1-2 lb drag increase...was honestly expecting a bit more then that.

RCJB84H 10lb strike 60 yards out
rcjb84h-75y.jpg

RCJB84XH 12lbs strike 60 yards out
rcjb84xh-75 yards.jpg

What I found interesting is in person the rods felt like they had a lot more bend in them then what the pictures show. Still plenty of power left. Another interesting bit of info is the two builds only differ in weight by 3 ounces. The XH has HXN guides and the H has XN guides.

Hope these pics/experience help others.

Reactions: Batson-Brands
Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
Had a great week doing some sharking with the RCJBs. My son's RCJB84XH pulled in a 7ft Lemon shark. A couple pics with one during fight. Even at 15lbs strike and about 20 full it looked like the XH still had a lot of backbone left. The lemon pulled about 75 yards at 18-20lbs drag. Picture is about when shark was 100 yards out.

danielshark.jpg

danieldrag.jpg

bigshot

Feb 4, 2013
Islamorada, Fl
Name
Maso
Boat
''UrIN"
I know blackfinn makes some pretty good LBSF blanks, thats what alot of the expierenced guys usually use. Glass blanks are usually nice for LBSF because they are cheap, durable and strong. I've built a LBSF rod for my 12/0 on a super seeker Hercules and its nice bc its super light but it was like a 250$ blank. Cant go wrong with any 5' ish IGFA blank and a unibut to get it to like 7ft.

For casting baits I've used the old 8ft 15-40 gator glass blanks for like avet lxs and stuff I'm not sure those are the best blanks for the application but it got the job done.

Im actually building a solid glass 7ft 80w LBSF rod right now and a 10ftgator glass

(also by the looks of your pictures it seems like your on the east coast somewhere north Carolina- Georgia range, I would probably recommend moving up to a 9/0 or avet 30w minimum. Line capacity is a big deal when LBSF and you want to be able to fish heavy line, preferably mono to avoid cutoffs. Also I have caught some huge sharks,10+ tiger sharks, and huge bulls out of Georgia.)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
yep, next build considering doing a RCJB84XXH on a 30 or RCTB on a 30w. We fish the inlets and only dropping the bait a 100 yards out by kayak. But We have not even come close to getting spooled. That lemon only used half the line including a 100 yard drop with the Penn Fathom 40.

I have read many posts where the recommendation for the RCJB XH was 50-60lb but felt in that 15-20lb drag range the XH still had more to give. We have not had a shark run the line out far where it would increase the drag due to physics of spool diameter. But that got me to thinking since we are using this from shore our line angle is going to be different then someone jigging at a higher line angle and if that just puts less pressure on the rod.

Last edited:

bigshot

Feb 4, 2013
Islamorada, Fl
Name
Maso
Boat
''UrIN"
yep, next build considering doing a RCJB84XXH on a 30 or RCTB on a 30w. We fish the inlets and only dropping the bait a 100 yards out by kayak. But We have not even come close to getting spooled. That lemon only used half the line including a 100 yard drop with the Penn Fathom 40.

I have read many posts where the recommendation for the RCJB XH was 50-60lb but felt in that 15-20lb drag range the XH still had more to give. We have not had a shark run the line out far where it would increase the drag due to physics of spool diameter. But that got me to thinking since we are using this from shore our line angle is going to be different then someone jigging at a higher line angle and if that just puts less pressure on the rod.
Yeah, the angle is definitely a factor when selecting a blank. I would recommend a slow action blank. Also dont be suprised if you get spooled. My favorite place to catch tiger sharks are in the inlets. Got a 12ft and 10ft tiger by kayaking baits into the inlet. I believe the world record was also caught out of South Carolina. 1780 lbs :oops:

The biggest thing for fishing bigger reels is your ability to run heavy mono 80-100lb so you avoid getting cut off on the sand bars. Losing 100-200 yards of braid will get old really fast and really expensive.

The one thing you probably wont have to worry about are greater hammerheads, but scallops still roam pretty much the entire the east coast and I've landed a 9fter from the beach on an avet 80w and it still wasn't easy.